Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853981 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #645 on: October 04, 2014, 11:50:31 pm »

Not bad, but still probably 5x too heavy for practical combat goggle use.
At least it's down from the 4 inch thick panel you'd need for "bulletproof" glass.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 05, 2014, 12:08:36 am »

Where can you buy Rimworld?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #647 on: October 05, 2014, 12:21:02 am »

Where can you buy Rimworld?
Right on the main game page: http://rimworldgame.com/
(I won't fault you too much for that though, since the OP doesn't have that link specifically.)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #648 on: October 05, 2014, 08:56:20 am »

(I won't fault you too much for that though, since the OP doesn't have that link specifically.)
Shame on you Tynan!

Oh hey,
The ALON guff would still probably come close to killing the person if used in the visor tho, since the bulging occurred.
Keep in mind, the first test was with point-blank .50 cal. I'd be more concerned about whether or not the visor could keep the whole plate+bullet from breaking free and smacking the guy's face.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:19:46 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 05, 2014, 10:45:44 am »

I always wondered power armor always come with a fancy form of an helmet.

I imagine it would be better to keep the head inside the torso section, the one which should be the most armored, then have a sensor package 'sticking out' on the top of the torso as a faux head with cameras sensor and much much more thick armor (as doesn't have to keep the head inside)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 05, 2014, 10:52:38 am »

True, but remember that helmets are hot.
Plus, big targets are not something you want on a battlefield, hence why the T-44 (and then the T-54/T-55) was so good, with its low profile.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #651 on: October 05, 2014, 11:11:10 am »

I imagine it would be better to keep the head inside the torso section, the one which should be the most armored, then have a sensor package 'sticking out' on the top of the torso as a faux head with cameras sensor and much much more thick armor (as doesn't have to keep the head inside)
At that point it's a full-fledged mech suit. And why centralize your sensory hardware? Better to spread it out, if at all possible.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 05, 2014, 11:47:30 am »

At that point it's a full-fledged mech suit. And why centralize your sensory hardware? Better to spread it out, if at all possible.

my line of reasoning was to avoid motion sickness, camera pov should matches soldier inside - not that I believe power armor be an actual realistic way to portray future combat. if mobility is the only feature over a tank, I'd think future will see spider tanks before power armors (the armored variant, not the exoskeletons they are testing today)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #653 on: October 05, 2014, 12:02:50 pm »

Agreed, if only because miniaturization is a bitch.

Meanwhile, I figure it's a matter of collating the multiple feeds and presenting the modified end product in a coherent, non-sickness-inducing manner. Ergonomics at that point.
Badges of honor

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 05, 2014, 04:21:03 pm »

Apparently, someone has modded in a starting character creator.  No more click click click...  >.> until the next alpha.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #655 on: October 05, 2014, 04:42:03 pm »

:o
Bookmarked
Badges of honor

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 07, 2014, 09:51:18 am »

If the game's too hard, maybe it's because turrets scales the difficulty too much? I had this problem on my first few games in Rimworld but never tried it with the latest releases. Now I go completely turret free and it seems fine. Plus, turrets are a huge power drain and they blow up. IMO, they're good as a decoy but not much else.

My first Alpha7 game had two of my initial 3 guys in bed for days due to flu and plague, and then the third guy got stabbed to death by some tribals. Fun! But looks like this got tweaked.

Also if you guys haven't noticed, power armor doesn't cover the head. There's a separate one for the head. It's good but impossible to kill. M24s are nasty too - even against power armor, they do almost double the damage of a M16 vs no armor. A M24 will still easily one shot kill through power armor.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 07, 2014, 10:06:46 am »

You must not be using chokepoints and sandbags right if you think turrets are worthless.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 07, 2014, 10:41:50 am »

Before I blow 30 bucks on this, is it really worth the purchase? (If I do this it'll basically be my only real purchase of the month)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 07, 2014, 10:44:22 am »

This is one of the few early access title I don't regret buying (especially after spacebase df-9) and that was back in alpha5.  It's pretty sweet even without mods now, and the mods can add a whole lot.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 280