Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853987 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #630 on: October 02, 2014, 11:14:34 pm »

Now we can steal organs? Wooo! I never knew it before, but I've always wanted to be a kidnapper-and-neolithic-surgeon-organ-thief. Next on the menu: pirate liver soup!

I love that the game's designed for things like that. I think there was a trait or something where the character doesn't get traumatized by eating and butchering people.
It is called cannibalism.  ...   I shall now be able to harvest the many many many injured people I happen to pick up for phat lootz.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 03, 2014, 01:25:13 am »

Pirates escalate pretty fast regarding equipment still. I think the fourth or fifth raiding party I got was already equipped with power armor while I just had one M-16 and otherwise pistols. Luckily they started a siege and half of them had poor mental health to begin with... so I just waited till half went crazy and killed each other.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 03, 2014, 09:37:15 am »

The main problem with the AI is that there isn't a sensible default. "Challenging" Cassandra Classic is the baseline, but it's ridiculously hard. It goes something like, start with 3 guys and face 1 raider a couple times, then you have 5 colonists and managed to make 5 wooden rooms, and the next wave will be like 7 pirates with pistols and rifles.

If you manage to have something like a decent colony with 5-6 people, some lee-enfields, decent food facilities and workbenches, lighting etc, we're talking about waves of 15 raiders with power armor and miniguns every 3 days.

Phoebe builder's frequency is about right, otherwise you just can't ever get anything done. I'm going to try it on "Rough" to see if at 60% the regular attack force it's something more playable.

I've found the best, most efficient way to find the edges of a Rich Soil is to fill the whole area with conduits, they prevent growing of grass and you can easily deconstruct the parts that have regular soil and get all your metal back, then once you got the area figured out you can place the growing zone. It's a bit cheaty in a way because it removes plants SUPER fast (even trees), on the other hand make sure to chop and harvest before you start covering, but even if this gets "fixed" and colonists have to actually spend time removing the grass it's a major time (and sanity) saver.

TynanSylvester

• Bay Watcher
  • Void lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 03, 2014, 08:18:44 pm »

I've found the best, most efficient way to find the edges of a Rich Soil is to fill the whole area with conduits, they prevent growing of grass and you can easily deconstruct the parts that have regular soil and get all your metal back, then once you got the area figured out you can place the growing zone. It's a bit cheaty in a way because it removes plants SUPER fast (even trees), on the other hand make sure to chop and harvest before you start covering, but even if this gets "fixed" and colonists have to actually spend time removing the grass it's a major time (and sanity) saver.

Sorry to say this exploit is closed in Alpha 8. Mu ha ha.
rimworldgame.com

tynansylvester.com

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 04, 2014, 01:10:56 am »

Sorry to say this exploit is closed in Alpha 8. Mu ha ha.

Eh, don't care about the exploit, just to place the wires so that I can actually see the dirt below.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #635 on: October 04, 2014, 08:26:32 am »

With the storyteller, I've found you have to change the difficulty as the game goes on. Even phoebe sends stupid large waves your way eventually, so after a couple years you'll probably want to just turn on randy for a good mix you can handle.

I think I've gone on about this either here or the reddit, and it may have changed in this latest update.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 04, 2014, 11:51:37 am »

I agree. So far for me the only way to make the game fun is to constantly micromanage the director. I set it to Cassandra with a lower difficulty to get any raiders at all (if I need weapons or money or just get bored), then use Phoebe at Rough by default to get long stretches where I don't get bothered with the occasional raid, but eventually the difficulty needs to go down even with Phoebe.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 04, 2014, 06:10:59 pm »

M-24s seem to be able to shoot straight through power armor and cause instakills. What.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #638 on: October 04, 2014, 07:58:18 pm »

If Fallout taught me anything, it's that a critical to the eyes will kill almost anything, even from your trusty Red Rider BB Gun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 04, 2014, 08:19:26 pm »

Yah, theres not much bone there.

However, powerarmor helmets are enclosed, but the visors still gotta be weaker than the armor, unless they have some sorta fancy projectors in there like the titanfall mech things.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #640 on: October 04, 2014, 09:46:23 pm »

Or there's a hard cap in the kinetic resistance you can pump into physical materials- carbon nanotubes & gravitically-densified metals not providing more than ~125% the performance you'd expect from type 4 kevlar & ceramic plate.

Same deal with miniaturization.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 04, 2014, 10:14:29 pm »

I imagine corundum layered with high yield clear plastic several times over would make for some really tough eyepieces.

Still, kinetics kill. Simply because of how momentum and kinetic energy, and on a grander scale, relativistic velocities, work, projectile weapons will always be more capable than the armor to stop them up until you start messing with the laws of reality.

An M-24 still probably should not be able to kill easily through power armor. It's kind of a pain in the butt to consistently hit eyepieces, and even modern armor has a half-decent chance at stopping a .338 Lapua, so power armor should have a pretty good shot at it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:17:11 pm by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #642 on: October 04, 2014, 11:26:52 pm »

Oh hey, the newest stuff is some kinda transparent aluminum ceramic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnUszxx2pYc
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0aa_1327782483&comments=1
Related to corundum?
Badges of honor

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #643 on: October 04, 2014, 11:35:48 pm »

Lapua vs a body hit? Sure. Almost sure to survive, and better than even odds for simple bruising.
vs a head shot? Might break even on survival, almost certainly to be out of a fight though.
vs an eyeshot? Good night, Gracie. All but certain death.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 04, 2014, 11:43:37 pm »

Man, that shits tough.
The ALON guff would still probably come close to killing the person if used in the visor tho, since the bulging occurred.
Its probably sorta like Dragonskin in that respect, it survives, the transferred shock still hurts like hell, possibly enough to kill.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 280