Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853958 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #675 on: October 09, 2014, 02:11:32 pm »

Used to be that Alpha was meant for in-house testing, then Beta was meant for external testing (not necessarily public, it could be another company or a large group of selected testers).

Usually you didn't go Beta until you were sure you weren't going to move major things around. Like, a complete UI redesign (unless the testers told you that it sucked balls). So adding features was probably not a good idea, again, unless all the Beta testers were like "hey, why I can't do X, that's stupid".

So it followed that Alpha is when you're messing around with everything, and Beta is when you have something that resembles a finished product (but full of bugs or even incomplete stuff).

(then again, there's nothing wrong about making major changes after release, but that's a new version, which also goes thru an Alpha and Beta stage supposedly)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 11, 2014, 09:59:43 am »

So, I forget but is there an actual win conditon? I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring stuff out...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #677 on: October 11, 2014, 10:55:05 am »

Building the ship.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 17, 2014, 04:21:20 am »

I bought this game yesterday and I love it. A single pirate raider came for my colony but was ambushed by two tribals. They slashed both of her eyes out and left her to die. My colonists took her as a prisoner, tended to her wounds and gave her food. She's fully healed (apart from the eyes) and my guys are now trying to convince her to join us. She's an excellent miner and builder (high skills + high modifier), which seems a bit weird because of the whole lacking eyes thing, but still pretty sweet!

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 17, 2014, 04:57:52 am »

Well with the latest update you can craft, trade, or salvage cybernetics from dead raiders so there's hope for your eyeless builder yet!

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 17, 2014, 06:46:54 am »

True! I noticed I need to take about 5 prisoners to pay for one eye, so she'll have to do without one for now :P

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 20, 2014, 05:32:38 pm »

Wasn't there an ASCII version of this available for free in the past, or am I thinking of a different DF in Spaaaceee type of game?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 20, 2014, 09:27:00 pm »

Really different one.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 21, 2014, 02:42:02 am »

Any clues?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 21, 2014, 03:17:54 am »

There's a number of mods for past "Dwarf Fortress" versions that change the setting to something like "Warhammer 40,000" (Hivecity I believe). There's also an ASCII game called "Caves of Qud" that's sci-fi in setting, but it's an exploration game and not a settlement one.

I do feel like I've seen a similar game somewhere, but I can't remember exactly where or what.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 21, 2014, 03:32:56 am »

There is/was Ascii X-Com and then there is Isomer, where set up an alien base and are raided by X-Com. Perhaps you could even confuse RimWorld with Prospector.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 21, 2014, 08:10:10 am »

Must be thinking of a game other than Rimworld then.

Could've sworn I read about a Space-DF-like on these very forums around a month or so ago, it was an early access game where the ASCII version was free but the graphical tileset you had to buy.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: October 21, 2014, 08:23:01 am »

Never heard of something like that. There is Spacebase DF-9, which was Early Access, but the developers decided to grab money and run. (They just declared 0.5 was now 1.0, sucks to be you. Certainly never buying anything from Doublefine again.) I recommend staying away from it as the game is far from finished and definitely not worth money. 

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 21, 2014, 08:59:27 am »

Must be thinking of a game other than Rimworld then.

Could've sworn I read about a Space-DF-like on these very forums around a month or so ago, it was an early access game where the ASCII version was free but the graphical tileset you had to buy.
KeeperRL?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 21, 2014, 12:21:16 pm »

You have to pay money for graphical tilesets?

man, thats money grubbing.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 280