Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 17361 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2013, 05:37:05 pm »

Rite of Replication, Kicked is perhaps the most fun play ever. So many wonderful shenanigans. Like Primordials and Titans.
I recently took part in a delightful five player game where someone pulled off a kicked rite of replication targeting zealous conscripts, and went from the worst board position to controlling every creature and swinging for victory in that turn.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2013, 06:46:48 pm »

Also, a fun combo in EDH is Omnath, Locus of Mana with Doubling Cube and an "Untap on opponents' turns" effect.

With regard to Rite of Replication, a card just got spoiled that would be wonderful. Ashen Rider, with an ETB or Dies effect of Exile Target Permanent. Suddenly, RoR is removal!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2013, 03:35:02 am »

I was doubting I would like this until I got Magic 2014. Now want. Want much.

How many people can you play this with?!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2013, 12:28:09 pm »

By Magic 2014, I assume you mean Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014, as Magic 2014 is something else entirely.

Competitively, games are exclusively 1v1 unless I'm missing something. Casually, as many as you want.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2013, 01:23:17 pm »

There's competitive 2-Headed Giant sometimes. I know there's always one such event at prereleases around here. Can't think of much else.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2013, 08:53:14 pm »

There's competitive 2-Headed Giant sometimes. I know there's always one such event at prereleases around here. Can't think of much else.
Back when I was first playing, there was also Emperor (3 vs. 3), and friendly multiplayer bouts can go arbitrarily high (the highest I ever played was eight people).

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2013, 10:09:47 pm »

By Magic 2014.
It's called Magic 2014. What's the difference?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2013, 10:24:44 pm »

One's a vidjya game and one involves cardboard, but maybe you are using the cardboard version.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2013, 10:26:22 pm »

One's a vidjya game and one involves cardboard, but maybe you are using the cardboard version.
am plain u vigjya gaym

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2013, 12:18:46 am »

So with the way spoilers have been going, because of my love for Control, and because I have a very good foreknowledge of the kinds of things many local players will be playing right off the bat, I changed my list from U/W Control to U/W/R Control. So here's the list with card explanations for the curious, those who want to learn, and those capable of constructive critique.  :D

« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:36:29 am by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Unusedname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2013, 12:27:35 am »

Does Hero's Downfall dampen your opinion of Jace of Thought at all?

Elspeth doesn't see as vulnerable to the new murder.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2013, 10:02:07 am »

Temples are coming in the other sets in the block. The GTC guilds were picked because RTR guilds already had a set's worth of time with more preferable fixing.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2013, 10:32:05 am »

Does Hero's Downfall dampen your opinion of Jace of Thought at all?

Elspeth doesn't see as vulnerable to the new murder.

He'll still always get off his first -2 no matter what, because of the way priority works. If he can do that he's at least not been a total waste. Also, Dreadbore has been in Standard for a year now, and though it was more restrictive in what decks it could be played in and when it could be cast, it didn't stop AoT or others from seeing play.

Honestly, Hero's Downfall is scarier when you consider just how good it is against Elspeth. One turn isn't enough for her to take over the game, so against black decks I may have to control the board for a few extra turns until I can counter an attempted Downfall on Elspeth. Against Black decks like that, however, is where I feel Heliod out of the sideboard will really shine.

Temples are coming in the other sets in the block. The GTC guilds were picked because RTR guilds already had a set's worth of time with more preferable fixing.

Makes sense, I hadn't considered or noticed that. I had been wondering why the cycle wasn't strictly allied or enemy pairs. I still don't like these cards at rare, but they're not the worst duals to have been printed at rare. That honor goes to a tie between the ETBT pain lands from Tempest and the ETBT storage lands from Fallen Empires.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2013, 02:03:46 pm »

Yeah, I feel like they should be uncommon. I mean, I understand the gates being common because the need for fixing in Limited in a multicolor block, and I sort of understand the justification, but Read the Bones is a common card with Scry 2.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2013, 02:31:03 am »

Complete Theros spoiler is out, apparently something to do with MTGO finished it off.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12