Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dorf Genealogy a.k.a. I have no life  (Read 15401 times)

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorf Genealogy a.k.a. I have no life
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 03:36:08 pm »

Anyway, back on track: It shouldn't be too complex to code a family tree generator (somebody did one for CKI, I think), although I probably wouldn't be able to do it myself, at least not just with what I know now. Assuming the dfhack dwarfexport command includes familial relations (and if it doesn't, can a similar script be made?), it shouldn't be much more than first identifying dwarfs based on their names, then recording the relations they have in their descriptions, then building the family tree off of comparing those links. I initially thought 2 dwarves with the same name might cause trouble, but they'd of course have different family ties.

You have to keep in mind there's two things you have to do here. You have to import the dwarf fortress data into your generator and have it create all the correct family ties into a logical tree, and I will agree that that is a breeze.
The other thing is creating the actual display of your generator (converting the logic tree to an image of your tree), and that is the thing that will require a lot of fiddling around to manage it to be generated correctly. It won't necessarily be hard, but it certainly will be tedious. That's actually the thing holding me back from creating an app like this myself.

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 08:00:18 pm »

I am getting the feeling my dwarven bloodline has been tainted... There are names popping up like Ngoso Ozudmösmlo and Dostngosp Xostenuksos.

If I'm not mistaken those are gobbo names, yes? :o

This is getting interesting... :D

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 10:29:19 pm »

That sure does seem suspicious. At least they arn't elf names. LOL

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 11:06:43 pm »

Are the goblin-named individuals actually present in the fortress, or are they relatives? They may be the children of dwarves who were snatched by goblin thieves during world-gen, who grew up in goblin towers.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 06:08:14 am »

Are the goblin-named individuals actually present in the fortress, or are they relatives? They may be the children of dwarves who were snatched by goblin thieves during world-gen, who grew up in goblin towers.

These individuals don't seem to be present in the fortress. I mean to say that in the 'relationship' tab, I can't view their status and relations directly. I did not check my caged prisoners and deceased list for the name though, since these amount to 470 and 1100 individuals respectively, and this project is enough work as it is at the moment.. Once I finish the basic tree, if there still are some oddities at that time, I will look into them further.

Goblin-snatched babies was my first guess as well. Of note is the fact that as of yet, these names have always been popping up as cousins, nieces and nephews.

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 09:19:05 am »

618 little people accounted for, encompassing 141 families. I already have 6 dorfs that are noted to not have parents. I decided to create two theoretical dwarven god/parents I called 'The Ancients', to account for this. Then I created a descendant chart of this couple (encompassing 480 of 618 people).

Here's the result.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 09:34:50 am »

So your fort has had 618 dwarves in its history ? I presume that many of those are dead ? Whats your current population.

And im assuming again but are you playing this fort at the moment ?

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 09:51:48 am »

So your fort has had 618 dwarves in its history ? I presume that many of those are dead ? Whats your current population.

And im assuming again but are you playing this fort at the moment ?

Well, I mentioned in the OP, there are currently 114 dwarves alive and kicking in my fort. And yes, I also have a giant ziggurat filled to the brim with coffins. The number 618 encompasses the amount of dwarves I have plucked out of the relationship screen of all the dwarves that I have already processed for this project. As I said in one of the later posts, there are strange names coming up that seem to be of the goblin variety, I assume this has something to do with stolen babies. Those names are part of that 618 as well.

So that doesn't mean those 618 have all been in my fort at some point. You could say they are all related to a dwarf that has been in my fort at some point (minus the 2 theoretical parents). When you look at the tree, all the dwarves without a birth date have never been part of my fort. The others are or have been (it notes which ones are deceased). For reference, my deceased/missing list is around 1100 units in total, but ofcourse, that list contains a lot of goblin meat.

The fort itself is paused until this project is finished, since I'd have to keep track of all newborns and new immigrants otherwise. When it's finished, I will continue play.

chaoko99

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 03:34:02 pm »

why does that tree smell of sweat and shame?

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 03:57:48 pm »

why does that tree smell of sweat and shame?

Unsure if joke about project being fool's errand or joke about obscene amount of dwarfy death.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 06:41:07 am »

I nearly mentioned royal family interpreting. Interestingly marrying your cousin is not illegal in England and I therefore assumed genetic defects don't generally occur between.
I'm now thinking about doing an Excel spreadsheet family tree for my dwarves. All this talk o family trees also makes me think of total war family trees. I always liked farming those too and trying to keep various lines alive.

Cousin marriage are allowed in lots of places even these days. Even uncle/niece or aunt/nephew marriages seem to be allowed at least in Finland, if special permission is obtained, which surprised me (I thought that cousins already required special permission).

Anyway, back on track: It shouldn't be too complex to code a family tree generator (somebody did one for CKI, I think), although I probably wouldn't be able to do it myself, at least not just with what I know now. Assuming the dfhack dwarfexport command includes familial relations (and if it doesn't, can a similar script be made?), it shouldn't be much more than first identifying dwarfs based on their names, then recording the relations they have in their descriptions, then building the family tree off of comparing those links. I initially thought 2 dwarves with the same name might cause trouble, but they'd of course have different family ties.

You have to keep in mind there's two things you have to do here. You have to import the dwarf fortress data into your generator and have it create all the correct family ties into a logical tree, and I will agree that that is a breeze.
The other thing is creating the actual display of your generator (converting the logic tree to an image of your tree), and that is the thing that will require a lot of fiddling around to manage it to be generated correctly. It won't necessarily be hard, but it certainly will be tedious. That's actually the thing holding me back from creating an app like this myself.

Yea, the graphical side is the part I'd need to learn the most for :P. Did a quick check and sadly dfhack dwarfexport doesn't seem to export any of the description-type stuff, so no familial relations. Presumably it would be possible to create a dfhack script to export that too, though... and then popup a graphical window showing a family tree, maybe?

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 10:31:13 am »

Yea, the graphical side is the part I'd need to learn the most for :P. Did a quick check and sadly dfhack dwarfexport doesn't seem to export any of the description-type stuff, so no familial relations. Presumably it would be possible to create a dfhack script to export that too, though... and then popup a graphical window showing a family tree, maybe?

Another thing I suddenly realized was the following idea: export the data from DF, but instead of creating a graphical representation yourself, import the data into an existing tree generator like the one I'm using here. You'd have to find out both how the data is represented in DF as well as in the generator; but it seems easier to me than creating a generator yourself.

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 04:04:55 pm »

I have a dwarven child that has 32 cousins. Her mother has 60 nephews and nieces. That seemed impossible to me, am I misinterpreting the relationship?

A cousin is the offspring of your parent's siblings; nieces/nephews are the offspring of your own siblings, am I right?

Following that logic, a child can never have less cousins than a single one of her parents has nieces/nephews, no?

Xcano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 07:55:19 pm »

Its very unlikely, but is it possible that one of the dwarfs in the family tree would be related to a dwarf from a different save? We could attempt to make a family tree of everybody's dwarves if that's the case.

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 06:39:01 am »

Its very unlikely, but is it possible that one of the dwarfs in the family tree would be related to a dwarf from a different save? We could attempt to make a family tree of everybody's dwarves if that's the case.

Nope, it's the only save I have. The only thing I've been able to think of is the fact that a single goblin family snatched two different dwarven babies which somehow linked two dwarven families together? ??? But then again I'd still expect the child to have all the extra cousins too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6