Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLIII: Robot Mafia - GAME OVER - TOWN WIN!  (Read 134738 times)

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIII: Robot Mafia - Cargo Bay, First Day
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2013, 01:55:06 am »

Day 1 will end Friday, September 27th at 9 PM.

Votecount
Imp -
Squill -
lukeinator -
Rolepgeek - Deathsword
kleril -
superblackcat -
Mr.Zero -
Deathsword -
griffinpup -

No lynch
-
Not voting - Imp, Squill, lukeinator, Rolepgeek, kleril, superblackcat, Mr.Zero, griffinpup

0 votes to extend
0 votes to shorten
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2013, 02:45:10 am »

Votecount
Rolepgeek
- Deathsword

Ahem.  Do I understand this right?  Rolepgeek has not yet spoken on the thread as a player once the game started, but has PMed our host with a lynch vote?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2013, 04:27:45 am »

@Mr.Zero:  There's 8(9?) people playing beside yourself, but you picked three, and only three, to initially ask questions of.  Why did you pick the ones you did, and why didn't you pick the others?

I just picked people for which i could think up a reasonable questions ( and questions that are relativly useful to the game), also going a 8-man question shotgun approach can be tricky as opposed to questioning 2 to 4 people.

@Mr.Zero: Those are some very... suggestively... phrased questions. Why are you trying to imply blame so early in the game?

Blame? no.. I'm just trying to figure out how they would react or what they would do in a given situation. Helps me and most likely everyone else to understand people's behaviour and text in the later stages of the game.

@Back to Imp
I'd do whatever seemed effective to achieve my goals in the game.  Situations are complex in every case, and your very short and grammatically creative question, combined with my inexperience in this game, doesn't allow enough details for me to even imagine vaguely what might be going on in play at the time, so I really cannot answer more specifically.

To achieve your goals in any way? To simplify would you stab your buddy in an attempt to clear yourself of suspicion and make it harder for yourself due to the fact that there would only 1 scum?
or
Would you try to somehow clear him,yourself or divert the attention to someone else to retain your numbers advantage?

Another thing, something i've learned the hard way. Don't try to blame your actions on inexperience, it can backfire pretty hard.

@IC's: Can the IC's be scum as well?

@Squill: That's nice and all but in what situation were you put and how did you react to it? How did you feel then? What did you do?
Durrr..

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2013, 04:36:02 am »

Votecount
Rolepgeek
- Deathsword

Ahem.  Do I understand this right?  Rolepgeek has not yet spoken on the thread as a player once the game started, but has PMed our host with a lynch vote?
Rolepgeek: You played in the last BM, if I recall correctly. What do you think you learned there?
{You're understanding this wrong :P
The name on the leftmost part of the list is the player. The name(s) on the right of the list, after the colon are the players voting (must be their name in red) said player.}

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2013, 06:12:49 am »

Imp: I was, and am, posting from my phone (PFP). That is already painfully hard to  without quoting.

MrZero: {yes, ICs can be scum or any role}
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2013, 09:47:40 am »

Mr.Zero:
To achieve your goals in any way? To simplify would you stab your buddy in an attempt to clear yourself of suspicion and make it harder for yourself due to the fact that there would only 1 scum?
or
Would you try to somehow clear him,yourself or divert the attention to someone else to retain your numbers advantage?

Another thing, something i've learned the hard way. Don't try to blame your actions on inexperience, it can backfire pretty hard.
My answer placed no blame on my inexperience or anything else, though I did attempt to invite you to clarify your question, pointing out the details I was aware of that made it difficult for me to answer it with any specificity.  Some of those details were details about your question, others were details about my perspective.

My understanding of our situation is that we are, or rather were, a single team.  Those of us with the misfortune to have been contaminated have perforce joined a different and opposing team.  Those aflicted are lost to us and cannot be redeemed, only identified and removed.  My actions will serve my team, of which I am a part, and further my team's goals to the best of my ability; for that is why I am here and what I am here to do.

Such is the nature of a robot's programming, such is the nature of the player which I am.  I am convinced that if I had been claimed by the malware, I would have served my changed team with the same loyalty and determination which is my nature.

Had I been so changed, I would surely do what needed to be done, based on my complete assessment of the situation - exactly as I do now, only in service to a different team.  But what 'needs to be done' is for my team to win.  That is more important than the well being of any single member of my team, or the afflicted team.

I lean strongly towards preserving my team and my team's assets and potentials, and so would surely take the option of not bussing if my analysis of the full situation determined that was a choice with a real chance of success.  I am aware that may not always be possible, thus I cannot honestly say you 'I would not bus'; if the situation was such that the team's path of success ran through the loss of a member, I would work towards that loss because that is the path which served my team best.

Deathsword:
Imp: I was, and am, posting from my phone (PFP). That is already painfully hard to  without quoting.
... I see, and sympathize.  I hope to help make this as easy as possible for you, especially considering your pains and afflictions.

Failure to quote seems to increase confusion, and inability or refusal to follow an IC's advice, especially strongly given advice, which that IC believes takes little effort and has said cannot be stressed enough - this is confusing to me, in addition to the confusion failing to quote creates.

I do not believe confusion serves our full community of robots, and thus deeply misdoubt that we are on the same team.  But I do hope for you a swift and painless end to your afflictions, both those known and those suspected.

Do you by any chance think that your malfunctions can be cured, or is destruction indeed the only viable option for you?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2013, 12:15:12 pm »

Requesting a prod for Rolepgeek and griffinpup - the rules on the first page says someone has to request for non-posters to be prodded or it won't happen, am I understanding that right?

kleril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm the guy who sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2013, 12:22:04 pm »

I'm not liking the way this is headed. At this point I'm thinking Imp MAY be suspicious, 'cause that vote seemed to be just going along with the bandwagon.
"Obsession and despair take hold as you fail to recapture a fantastic sensation that you had for a moment but is now gone."

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2013, 12:27:07 pm »

Requesting a prod for Rolepgeek and griffinpup - the rules on the first page says someone has to request for non-posters to be prodded or it won't happen, am I understanding that right?
Only if I don't notice.  :o
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2013, 05:31:54 pm »

I'm here. I was gonna respond last night but by the time I'd gotten around to it my Internet wasshutting off. I'll post questions in an hour or two, once I finish all my chores and such. For now, though, I'll answer questions.

@Rolepgeek: If you would be a mafia member, would you try to NK one or more IC's regarding their higher experience?

Strange sentence structure there. But the answer is no. ICs may be more experienced, but is is a learning game, and if the ICs are dead, they are less likely to talk, and give valuable information for later games.

@Rolepgeek:  Wow you are an active forum gamer!  What made you decide to branch into Mafia now?

I did the Beginner's Mafia before this one, too. Mostly decided because I kept seeing references to it, signatures and such, but I had thought it was too complicated, and the BM was always in progress whenever I thought about it and checked it out. But then it was asking for replacements, so I figured I'd at least try it. Not as hard as I originally thought, though time-consuming, brain-wracking, and mindset-involving(I ended up constantly being suspicious and thinking in mafia terms whenever I did a good bout of analyzing people in the previous game).

Rolepgeek: You played in the last BM, if I recall correctly. What do you think you learned there?

It may have been the wrong thing to take from it, but I learned to trust my gut. During the game, I feel like I learned that thorough investigation, a keen eye, and awareness of what's going on is key. In the late game, I feel like we lost because there was a lack of communication. So while it can be difficult to communicate, not being sure who the scum is/are, it is also paramount.

@Rolepgeek: What was your first game of mafia?
The previous Beginner's Mafia, the dwarf one. The one where Nerjin doomed us. :p I never did learn why specifically he had voted me...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2013, 05:47:11 pm »

@klerirl, It's just how I am used to refering to things...

@Deathsword, enlighten me. What is the point of asking questions such as: What is your first mafia game? or things along the lines.

I see no point, and I won't ask questions unless there is a specific need for me to, that ties in to the game.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 09:48:02 pm »

A bit late. Opened the tab, got everyone's names, didn't post questions, got distracted.

@Imp - Why do you think that an IC would use their IC powers to try and fool town?

@Squill - Do you think you'll stick around in this game as compared to last?

@lukeinator - Why did you only ask one question and only after being asked why you weren't?

@kleril - Why haven't you asked any questions beyond semantics?

@superblackcat - Do you think that people shouldn't ask any questions unless absolutely necessary?

@Mr.Zero - You're asking awfully in depth questions for hypothetical scenarios. Are you trying to learn what someone would do if they were scum so you can fake it?

@Deathsword - Do you think it's better to ask questions of everyone or just a few people? If so, how many?

@griffinpup - How aggressive do you think you are going to be in your manner towards others, compared to last game?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Superblackcat

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving Gifts of Bad Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2013, 10:54:49 pm »

@Rolepeek No, but I think the questions should be relevant to the game, instead of random questions like you guys are asking, and the massive amounts of questions.

@Deathsword, I was pointing out that there was a free lynch we could do today.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIII: Robot Mafia - In signups [6/7] - IC needed.
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2013, 12:40:23 am »

I'm not liking the way this is headed. At this point I'm thinking Imp MAY be suspicious, 'cause that vote seemed to be just going along with the bandwagon.
Kleril:  What bandwagon does my vote seem to be going along with?

@Imp - Why do you think that an IC would use their IC powers to try and fool town?
Rolepgeek:  Oh, I don't.  Far as I understand, that would be breaking the rules as well - if it's not, please correct me, that would change how I think about the game.

As of now, I currently trust an IC voice in the game completely.  I am jaw-droppingly astonished that the person behind the IC voice who strongly instructed 'quote when you respond' is - not following that IC direction as a player.  Astonishing enough that I wondered why he would not do so, considering the length of his first PFP was quite long and very well worded, appearing to be something which he'd worked on for some time, and in general supports that he is an involved and intentioned player.

That first in-play post from Deathsword includes a length of strikethrough, use of color, even includes use of {} which are perhaps not conveniently placed characters to find on a phonepad.  If quoting when PFP is hard, well, there's no rush to answer; he could hold his replies for a more convienient time.

It is possible that he has no convenient time ever, sure.  But just days before the game started Deathsword used a set of quotes in a post in this very thread -

IC in, seeing as you need one.
IC out

I'm starting a new job and am not entirely sure how much time I'll be having for a full on mafia game. I'll still be watching.

ZU, you seem to have missed those posts.

Thinking about what I have observed and spoken of, it makes no sense for him to do if he is Town, and little sense for him to do as Scum.  Thus I am not convinced that he, as a player, is Scum, though I am suspicious.  But as these contradictions make completely no sense to me in considering him as a Town member, and I'm not more suspicious of anyone else at this point, I feel comfortable for now in my vote.

I am willing to unvote if someone else seems significantly more suspicious, or if I come to understand that what seems wrong to me about Deathsword's actions is actually quite reasonable and what a conscientious Town member would do.  And if what seems wrong to me doesn't seem wrong to anyone else, by all means, vote as you seem fit.  Just say why, please, unless it's random - I'd like to understand and see what anyone thinks they see.

I still absolutely trust Deathsword as IC though - I don't think he's using anything IC to try and fool town or otherwise abuse IC.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLIII: Robot Mafia - In signups [6/7] - IC needed.
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2013, 12:46:17 am »

I still absolutely trust [the] IC [in the advice] though - I don't think he's using anything IC to try and fool town or otherwise abuse IC.
We're all watching--abusing the IC role is very undignified.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44