Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Antivegan  (Read 3588 times)

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
Re: Antivegan
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 06:29:10 pm »

You might be able to do it on mead alone, though there would come a point where leaving the booze available for the month or so required for everyone to have a taste will exhaust the supply before everyone gets a turn at the barrel.

Assuming 30 hives for harvesting and 10 for splitting (not sure if this is a good ratio, but let's start somewhere), you will get 150 units of booze a season. Dwarves drink 4 times a season, so you have enough mead to keep about 35 dwarves permanently drunk. If you open the booze stockpiles for one month per season, you can keep about 110 dwarves on the verge of partial sobriety.

Alternatively you could stockpile the shit out of the booze, and after about 20 years get the dwarves drunk for a couple years.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 06:39:46 pm »

Having them drink alcohol 3 times per season is just wasteful though, it accomplishes absolutely nothing, doesn't even affect thoughts and consumes 3x the booze. Just being aware of that will make a challenge like this so much easier. But if there's need, you could indeed just shut down all activity except military and boozemaking for such as a year and stockpile, while the rest of the dwarves seize and hallucinate in stages of delirium tremens behind locked doors "hibernate" without alcohol.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 06:54:07 pm »

My concern here, though, is beds.  While modding milk as a fermentable item makes sense, we need stone and/or metal beds.  Also, bins are right out, unless you want your poor dorfs trying to haul around copper bins.  I'll have to doublecheck if you can make metal wheelbarrows, but those may be out too.

I would recommend the allowance and usage of logs only in those cases where the tree must be removed due to pathing problems, particularly towards the anti-vegan idea of the challenge.   It's quite possible to end up with trees blocking depot access and/or maneuvers in the caverns, though most can be mined around except in the case of narrow walkways between water.

If the challenge is to be a true anti-vegan, then logs would absolutely outlawed. The single exception would be where trees would need to be removed, as you noted, in which case they would immediately be disposed of in an appropriately inflammatory fashion.

Regarding beds... this, I think, is the true challenge. While mead is an existing, albeit limited alternative to plant-based alcohols that already exists in the unmodded game, there is no alternative to wood for the construction of beds. Assuming that whoever attempts this challenge uses the unmodded game - which is, to be sure, much more challenging than the alternative - the only beds will come from the lucky few strange moods. These beds would obviously be afforded to the few noblery, while the vast masses of the fortress sleep on cold stone floors and are placated by vast amounts of masterwork statues and high-quality meat-based prepared meals.

Regarding strange moods, if one were to go true anti-vegan, all carpenters and woodcrafters who mooded, as well as any others who required logs or plant-based cloth for their artifacts, would go insane do to the restriction. Any overseer attempting this challenge - or, at least, this extremely restricted version of it - would have to be prepared for these eventualities.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 07:13:51 pm »

Is fungiwood a tree product or a fungus product?  Fungus is not a plant, this should be ok, no?  Maybe I could embark with some fungus wood beds.  Towercaps too should be ok.  Goblin caps.  There doesn't appear to be anything fungoid and brewable in the caverns, so still just mead.  For some reason I've always thought plump helmets were potatoids, not fungoids.

Only here in the DF forum would I ask this as a completely serious question. 
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 07:39:40 pm »

I personally wouldn't be doing something so restricted that I'd need to make stone/metal beds or do without when there's better things those resources can be put to.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 07:40:33 pm »

All growing life must be respected, for without patience with our small earthbound growing friends, there would be no honor amongst our people.  For if we were to abuse those living beings without the ability to even get up and get away from us, we would be honorless.  Also, these defenseless beings provide us air and beauty, and thus should be protected at all costs.  We shall even dig below the earth so as not to trod upon the ever growing grasses of the land above us.

However, anything that can move under it's own power and is too damned stupid not to be turned into food and/or a resource shall be put to work like the moron it is.  There is no loss of honor in enslaving anything with the power to defend itself, as this is the course of nature, and we are at the top of the natural chain.  Were it not so dispicable to our minds, we would even eat elves and goblins, but their nature and taste is just horrendous to our minds and tongues.  We'd rather eat dirt.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 07:42:08 pm »

I personally wouldn't be doing something so restricted that I'd need to make stone/metal beds or do without when there's better things those resources can be put to.

My metal volume is usually extraordinarily rediculous once I've gotten things going, and I've almost always got stone pouring out of my ears.  Now, Steel Beds might be extreme, but copper is certainly within reason.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 07:44:27 pm »

I tend to burn through my metal once I get certain plans going and I almost always devote nearly all stone that isn't ore to defense building, projects, or needed furniture.

All growing life must be respected, for without patience with our small earthbound growing friends, there would be no honor amongst our people.  For if we were to abuse those living beings without the ability to even get up and get away from us, we would be honorless.  Also, these defenseless beings provide us air and beauty, and thus should be protected at all costs.  We shall even dig below the earth so as not to trod upon the ever growing grasses of the land above us.

However, anything that can move under it's own power and is too damned stupid not to be turned into food and/or a resource shall be put to work like the moron it is.  There is no loss of honor in enslaving anything with the power to defend itself, as this is the course of nature, and we are at the top of the natural chain.  Were it not so dispicable to our minds, we would even eat elves and goblins, but their nature and taste is just horrendous to our minds and tongues.  We'd rather eat dirt.

This is elf talk. You understand the price for such things. Well, the eating them part isn't though. That's understandable. I imagine goblins and elves taste like mouldy garbage and  giant badger turds respectively.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 07:47:43 pm »

Is fungiwood a tree product or a fungus product?  Fungus is not a plant, this should be ok, no?  Maybe I could embark with some fungus wood beds.  Towercaps too should be ok.  Goblin caps.  There doesn't appear to be anything fungoid and brewable in the caverns, so still just mead.  For some reason I've always thought plump helmets were potatoids, not fungoids.

Only here in the DF forum would I ask this as a completely serious question.

Fungus should be banned, considering the context of the challenge. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much of said challenge, as cavern treecutting and underground tree cultivation is quite easy.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Yerv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 07:52:25 pm »

I tend to burn through my metal once I get certain plans going and I almost always devote nearly all stone that isn't ore to defense building, projects, or needed furniture.

This is elf talk. You understand the price for such things. Well, the eating them part isn't though. That's understandable. I imagine goblins and elves taste like mouldy garbage and  giant badger turds respectively.
I wonder what Kobolds or Animal men taste like...

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 09:09:54 pm »

Can we mod BONES to be usable as bed materials?

And while we're at it, can we make blood drinkable, booze-ified or otherwise?  :D

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 09:35:02 pm »

Mist generators would greatly help counteract the lack of beds.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 09:36:49 pm »

Honestly, I think that the fact that historically Beds have been made (by Humans admittedly) out of everything from Stone to Steel to The Bodies Of Our Enemies means that the Wood limitation ingame is a little strict.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2013, 11:33:53 pm »

Can we mod BONES to be usable as bed materials?

And while we're at it, can we make blood drinkable, booze-ified or otherwise?  :D

Mod anything as bed material: add reaction: reagent; desired: product; BED:NONE; get material from reagent (no submaterial)

But really... Chopping the trees for industry and throwing away the fruit in favor of meat is more anti-elf/vegan.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 02:31:24 am »

Another question is how many dwarves you are trying to supply.  Going with some very rough calculations with 40 hives you would produce around 250 mead per year (200 mead per harvest 1 harvest every 9 months).  If ever dwarf requires ~ 16 drinks per year you could supply around 16 dwarves. That should be enough in theory to support the first year's migrants.  Even if you only managed to get one harvest a year (far more likely all things considered) you should still have enough to supply 12 dwarves in relative comfort.

Edited for clarity: These calculations are based on dwarves drinking booze primarily.  I am well aware that you could stretch this out as has been discussed elsewhere in this thread.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:01:32 am by hiroshi42 »
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5