Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Tales of Magic OOC Thread: Sign-ups, Discussion,etc.  (Read 16898 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Magic OOC Thread: Sign-ups, Discussion,etc.
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 10:08:21 am »

... I have a question.

I'm doing theorizing on characters, and ye mentioned talking to you about additional magics...

:3 How does Nuclear/Atomic magic sound?

Gravitation magic has a part of it. I did think about it being a single magic but i found it to be too powerful.

Regarding Errol, he happens to be a lot on the ##bay12rtd chat and when I'm in need of help i go there. So it somehow turned out like this, it's not like everyone has access to that chat. Also the system is very generous. Instead of a first come first get, you actually get a chance of joining. More than once did i want to join an RTD, but to find it full because i happened to be asleep.

@Sarzeal. What do you exactly mean with a public character? His character sheet is on page 2 i believe. Also i unfortunately cannot allow Deimurgy magic.

@Dwarmin, it's already a 5+1 game. 7 would be just too much at times
To be honest it'd be hard to use in any practical situation.

The issue with it is that in order to use it properly you need fissionable materials.

Which, as one might assume, aren't that common.

And also, fucked hard to control because you're basically trying to point a miniature sun at something and not die.

hell on wheels for destroying stuff if you managed to carry a chunk of uranium 237 in your pocket or something

but dangerous and difficult to not kill yourself with.

Very dorfy.

Figured I'd ask. I'll look through what's there.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 10:39:21 am »

I picked runic because it means I can be some sort of trap-master character :P
Assuming I actually get in of course.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 10:58:27 am »

@Sarzael: Well, I can only assume that Errol has personally laid the bricks of this mighty bridge we are now gathering to cross. One assumes he deserves a ride across in thanks for his efforts...

I didn't contribute -that- much, I basically bounced ideas about magic, setting, lore, terms and such at him when he asked for some - I enjoy world crafting and the like - so the existence of some spheres (and the absence of others!) is because of me. Also, the catchy terms of Null and reagent-based magic. I've had some lengthy creative sessions with him about the game, so it's only natural that I'd want in on the RtD proper - when he proposed the fixed spot, I agreed to that.

Although, I do have no idea where the EXO-suits come from. ^^'

tl;dr: Help aspiring GMs create their game and you shall receive.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 11:03:26 am »

Also, if demiurghes cant be added, can the skill to give life to stuff be ported to some other type of magic?
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 11:13:19 am »

Also, if demiurghes cant be added, can the skill to give life to stuff be ported to some other type of magic?

Alchemy can give life, but not to random objects. Death can also technically give life, but to the undead. Giving life shouldn't be that easy you know?

Also i changed the way to gain entrance to the RTD, more info on the frontpage.
Durrr..

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 11:37:08 am »

Alchemy can give life, but not to random objects. Death can also technically give life, but to the undead. Giving life shouldn't be that easy you know?

What kind of stuff can be given life with alchemy?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:51:01 am by Sarzael »
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 11:48:48 am »

What kind of stuff can be given life with alchemy?

Bodies, they don't have to be made from flesh and blood but you cannot naturally give life to objects. Cause you only have one soul yourself. You can create elementals, but that's a different thing.
Durrr..

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 11:50:04 am »

I might go with Gravity, then. That should be fun. Maybe. We'll see. *thinks*
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 11:51:07 am »

Also what about a Weapon Mage?

Traits:
Using weapons?

Cons:
They depend in the quality of their weapon.
They cant do magic if they dont have any weapon.

Pros:
Really powerful when using high quality weapons.
Good for specializing on a gameplay type (For example, with two daggers you can specialize on being an assasin mage?)
Can change their magic by taking a different kind of weapon.

Changing my character background to fit new alchemy mage proffesion.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:25:57 pm by Sarzael »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2013, 12:16:07 pm »

I think I may go with a Metal Magus. My normal ideas would push me towards the Null, but there's already an application for one and that'd be a bit too predictable in my case. Earth, Gravity and Fire are also being considered, but are a bit on the lower order of priority.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:21:16 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2013, 12:31:48 pm »

Name: Illumina Negra
Magic choice: Level 2 Gravitation
Appearance: Illumina is... compact, for her age. She uses that word, anyway. Compact is a much nicer thing to say than 'short', don't you think? Or 'midget', 'munchkin', 'teeny', 'small', 'miniscule little rodent', or anything like that? Anyway, the compact girl has black hair that hangs down to her shoulders and deep blue eyes filled with little golden sparks that flash and spin sometimes. She usually carrys around several small objects, from coins to tiny gyroscopes to pocketknives and the like to experiment and explore just what she can do.
Bio: ((no current world lore, so might have some setting discrepancies))
Illumina was born in a small, insular community, one which kept itself separate from the rest of the world, wanting to tend to its own affairs as much as possible. This village was a nice, quaint place, almost idyllic, if not for a few little quirks. First of all, noone was allowed to leave. Ever. And if you did, you were forbidden to ever return. Second of all, outsiders were shunned and encouraged to leave as soon as possible, if they were allowed in at all. And third, magic-users were universally cast out for fear that if they were around the rulers would seek to meddle in their affairs because of them.

Illumina's story begins not with her birth, as for the first ten or so years of her life she was just a normal member of their happy little society, barring the slight issue of her nascient magical talent. She managed to keep it secret up until the age of ten, when her little brother saw her and told her parents about Illumina toying with a coin by making it spin over her palms.

She was forced to flee the city, taking with her only the clothes on her back and that coin, and has lived on the road ever since, taking whatever work she can find. Her magic helps her, but it also makes her a target, so she tends to keep it as secret as possible even around those who wouldn't harm her for it.
Additional equipment: A silver coin about the size of a thumbnail.
Participation number: 7

How does this look?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:41:04 pm by ragnarok97071 »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2013, 01:13:55 pm »

updated my sheet with bio.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 01:53:47 pm »

Also what about a Weapon Mage?

Traits:
Using weapons?

Cons:
They depend in the quality of their weapon.
They cant do magic if they dont have any weapon.

Pros:
Really powerful when using high quality weapons.
Good for specializing on a gameplay type (For example, with two daggers you can specialize on being an assasin mage?)
Can change their magic by taking a different kind of weapon.

Changing my character background to fit new alchemy mage proffesion. What do alchemy mages usually do when they re discovered? Go to some kind of academy? Would be good if you gave us more information on that kind of stuff.

Weapon mage would be equal to a Null with an light exo-suit and runic inscribed weapons.

@Caellath, Nulls have more options than you think they have. Judging from his bio, he will be going order with a side of weapon.

@Sarzael, coming right up.
Durrr..

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2013, 02:09:27 pm »

Ok, i need those questions answered for my bio:

Is possible for two nulls to have a mage daughter?
Is possible for two mages to have a null (Whatever)
At what age do they commonly present magic symptons?
Would it be possible for a Writer Mage who never learnt to write due to being poor not to know he/she has magic?
Are there some kind of ´´Magic Schools``?

Also, how to know what value something has? I think thats pretty relative to each person.

You may have a item that means a lot to you, and you wouldnt change it for a million dollars, however other person may see it as a worthless piece of stuff.
Which would be a fair value? For example, gold is very valuable even though it doesnt really have many real uses.

And how you exactly obtain mana? Is it an mineral? An liquid? Something else? Something mages just generate over time?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:26:01 pm by Sarzael »

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2013, 02:46:18 pm »

Ok, i need those questions answered for my bio:

Is possible for two nulls to have a mage daughter?
Yes, the ability to cast magic is not genetics. It's affected by an individuals soul, that's why mages have an starter magic affinity because their soul resonates with that specific magic.

Is possible for two mages to have a null (Whatever)
Once again yes.

At what age do they commonly present magic symptons?
Varies from person to person, but mages are nearly always discovered before age 12.

Would it be possible for a Writer Mage who never learnt to write due to being poor not to know he/she has magic?
No, writer mages have this instinct and ability to be able to write in writer language from age 0.

Are there some kind of ´´Magic Schools``?
There is the college of magic and university of magic. The first being entry level magic school up to level 4 and the second being advanced up to level 6.

Also, how to know what value something has? I think thats pretty relative to each person.

You may have a item that means a lot to you, and you wouldnt change it for a million dollars, however other person may see it as a worthless piece of stuff.
Which would be a fair value? For example, gold is very valuable even though it doesnt really have many real uses.
The equivalence gate accesses value of items, it is your only god. The gate can speak to you trough your mind and even transport you to it's own timeless reality.

And how you exactly obtain mana? Is it an mineral? An liquid? Something else? Something mages just generate over time?
Raw mana is and was always present, humans just couldn't use it after the event. Everything has mana imbued, the trees,sand, animals and even you. I will add it to world lore soon, today.
Durrr..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9