Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 1010135 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14640 on: May 31, 2014, 06:24:09 pm »

No I mean, what definition of unique are you using? Being original? Having special traits?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14641 on: May 31, 2014, 06:26:12 pm »

Special traits. Kyle definitely isn't original.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14642 on: May 31, 2014, 06:29:35 pm »

Aside from his persona, he's got nothing truly special. Technology can be replicated, armor included, possibly to even greater efficiency if the designer is better than Kyle or used magic to enchant the armor.

Then again, I suppose it may be argued aside form each character's assigned ability, none of them have anything special either. Why does it matter?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14643 on: May 31, 2014, 06:30:36 pm »

Then how about removing STR entirely? Just use some scaled down version of 1/2 x END x SPD2.
As much as that might make sense from a biological standpoint, it makes it harder to make proper Mighty Glaciers and the like while also making calculations clunkier.

You can't make power armor with magic. If you do I'll sue on account of copyright infringement.
You pretty much need magic to make powered armor that doesn't suck.

Nah, Izzy doesn't ride the golem into fights. She uses it as transport, as it runs faster than her, but riding the thing would be impractical and probably get her killed.
Theoretically, though, she could craft a golem that acts as powered armor. And even if she herself couldn't, someone with similar powers could.
Which is the point.

He's the most aggravatingly stubborn character, the only one to have powered armor, one of the few to be extremely promiscuous, the most likely to slip into depression for no reason...and there's probably more positive ones that don't come to mind.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14644 on: May 31, 2014, 07:06:31 pm »

Should we add a stamina pool? Acts like mana, comes from endurance (or speed or strength, or a combination of all three), applies to physical attacks.

That way, no mana goes into physical attacks (unless you set your hand on fire or something).
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14645 on: May 31, 2014, 07:07:47 pm »

Wait, what stats would a firearm use for damage? Skill?

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14646 on: May 31, 2014, 07:15:49 pm »

Yeah, probably, though you might need to have a strength check too to prove you could actually deal with the recoil.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14647 on: May 31, 2014, 07:29:41 pm »

He's the most aggravatingly stubborn character, the only one to have powered armor, one of the few to be extremely promiscuous, the most likely to slip into depression for no reason...and there's probably more positive ones that don't come to mind.
...No offense intended @KJ, but were Kyle's mental episodes, stubbornness in terms of his technology, randomly becoming mute and randomly getting biomechanically modified attempts to make him more 'unique'? Because if they are, then they haven't worked at all.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:31:34 pm by Empiricist »

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14648 on: May 31, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »

Alright, enough with the character arguements, back to the list:

a) Which reboot plot is the acceptable one? How does that setting look like?
b) Since I am interested in Projecks plot, we need a way for Ashleys problem to fit into it

c) Balancing of system
d) Balancing of stats
e) Balancing of abilities, if possible fit into the magic system
f) Balancing of resources, but that hits into a)
g) Who GMs the v3. Do we stick with Elf?

C and D are sorta done, they just need balancing:

idea: a split like in the fire emblem threads:

Health - a singular stat, it determines how healthy you are

Speed - your dodginess, dodges both physical and magical attacks. Possible bonus: if your speed is twice as high as the enemies, attack twice.

Skill - your hittiness. No more one stat for both hitting and dodging. This determines how good your aim is, how good you are figuring out when and where to strike, aims both magic missiles and physical attacks. Possible bonus: if your Skill is twice as high as the enemies, you gain a 20% chance for a critical hit, as opposed to the usual 5%  (20 on d20 to roll for a critical hit, double damage, hurrah)(assuming critical hits are a thing.

Magic - how powerful and damaging your magic is. Possible bonus: If your mag is twice as high as the enemies resistance, your damage is increased by 2 before the absorb roll

Strength - how powerful and damaging your muscles are. Possible bonus: As above.

Defence - how good you are at taking hits, reduces damage and effects from physical attacks. Possible bonus: If your defence is twice as high as the enemies strength, their damage is automaticaly reduced by 2, before the actual reduction roll

Resistance - how good you are at restisting magic, reduces damage and effects from magical attack. Bonus as with defence for magic

Mind - determines how good you are figuring things out, manipulating people and complex things. Possible bonus: I have no idea

that's 8 stats. Roll is made on the stat ,  so if you have, for example, 5 in skill, you roll a d5, to hit against the enemies 7 in speed. If you hit succesfully, you roll your strength, which is reduced by the enemies defence, lets say you have 6 strength, enemy has 6 defence, so on average 3 damage. I'd say healthpool should be 5xPoints put in health in such a case.

setting human average to an arbitrarily decided 5, that would be 40 statpoints to be distributed by a normal person. It remains to you guys to decide what kind of statpool would be fitting for us, how fats they increase etc. That stats are now rolled on purely, rather than adding them to a dice entirely removes the problem that either the dice is so high that the stats dont matter, or the stats so high that the dice dont matter entirely.

unless someone has special equipment, it does not matter for the rolls if you are punching someone, stabbing someone or shooting someone. Only special loots can give an effective bonus. A silver sword might deal double damage to demons etc, while a masterwork sword of legend and whatnot might give you a +2 on damage, and/or +1 to skill etc. Kyles armor for example might increase damage reduction by 1 (which alongside his damage reduction perk, which will remain as it is, makes him super tanky)

I have yet to receive any inspiration on how to handle mana pools, and how much mana using your abilities would cost
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14649 on: May 31, 2014, 07:48:26 pm »

I'm confused about how the system is supposed to work.

To start, when you attack, does the attack roll need to exceed the target's defense or his defense roll? When you hit, how is damage determined exactly? And how does this system work for non-combat actions?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14650 on: May 31, 2014, 07:50:04 pm »

I do not take responsibility for any writing I did a year ago as I was more of an idiot then.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14651 on: May 31, 2014, 08:21:54 pm »

Anyone else reminiscing about how Sen stabbed Kyle with a Katana made of paper? Good times~
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14652 on: May 31, 2014, 08:22:56 pm »

I'm more thinking back to the games humble beginnings and how strange, messed up, and complicated the world got.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14653 on: May 31, 2014, 08:50:04 pm »

To start, when you attack, does the attack roll need to exceed the target's defense or his defense roll? When you hit, how is damage determined exactly? And how does this system work for non-combat actions?

...The exact same as the system now? Everything's just been split up, so the one skill that rules them all isn't so OP.

I'm more thinking back to the games humble beginnings and how strange, messed up, and complicated the world got.

...True. While worrying about minmaxers, we became minmaxers.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14654 on: May 31, 2014, 08:53:37 pm »

...The exact same as the system now? Everything's just been split up, so the one skill that rules them all isn't so OP.
Right now, damage is determined by rolling a dSomething, adding and subtracting numbers that depend on the GM, and hoping the result isn't horribly unbalanced.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 975 976 [977] 978 979 ... 1030