Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 1009892 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14460 on: May 30, 2014, 02:11:31 pm »

what, chars just wake up on the finished result of a void invasion? that entirely skips all interesting parts whatsoever, namely, the invasion
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14461 on: May 30, 2014, 02:17:31 pm »

No, they don't just wake up. All characters would be able to try to fight it. See it happen. Whatever. I have a couple pre-typed up scenes already describing the invasion, so I have flavor posts. One of which is a fight scene that introduces the whole plot. I'll do as many fights as necessary until the PCs give up hope (or die) in trying to fight while the invasion is happening.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14462 on: May 30, 2014, 02:19:06 pm »

I am talking in case of a reboot, not in case of regular plot startenings
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14463 on: May 30, 2014, 02:21:12 pm »

If void is taking over, then I nominate Project as Gm until the void beings are defeated. Just saying.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14464 on: May 30, 2014, 02:23:14 pm »

Well, it's whatever the GM feels like doing. I'd assume that whoever survives have been separated for the most part, but the people who have stuck together live together in an undefined city (probably in France) and are all really poor due to decreased jobs and such. Homeless, maybe.

Also, I'd gladly take up the job as GM (though it'd be my first time running an RP so I'll probably enlist a couple people for Co-GMs)
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14465 on: May 30, 2014, 03:23:21 pm »

GMs have been plotting behind the players back. Sweet, sweet overwhelming odds incoming soon. Guys, post your actions for the Luthar fight, lets get this over with and enter into the next chapter!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14466 on: May 30, 2014, 03:28:39 pm »

I can't wait to see the next chapter either. Mostly because I've been talking with Projeck and it seems pretty interesting.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14467 on: May 30, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »

well, interesting and/or entirely underwhelming, can't tell until it happens :P

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14468 on: May 30, 2014, 03:33:32 pm »

Still, it's an excuse to shake things up and hopefully fix them. And hopefully add in a bit more structure to the game. To me things started to go downhill when we got to the castle and it turned to eternal day without various minor events to break up the flow and provide the opportunity for people to talk/interact with each other.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14469 on: May 30, 2014, 03:46:32 pm »

well, time-flow in the game is a bit difficult, with different posting speeds and all.

I guess Elf and/or the GM of the current plot could occasionaly pop in and declare it noon, evening, night, morning or something. As far as shaking up goes, many of my notes are mostly plotlettes. We'll see just how much of them remain relevant depending on the new char list. Note however, shaking things up is something that players should do too. If you are bored and the GM is not throwing stuff at you, make your own to shake things up. In a game with heavy shipping, start a love triangle, cheat on someone, argue, get some drama going on - there are opportunities aplenty.

As far as the rules go, I think the rules are fine, the problem is how high our stats are. For enemies to be stronger in relation, they need to have huge stats, and these stats are starting to be too large in comparison to the actual dicethrow. The example I made with ICARUS and Luthar are a good example. ICARUS 25 dex is, on average between the PCs, rather high, and the 15 strength is slightly above average as well. For Luthars stats to matter in comparison, they need to rise into spheres where the dice rolls break to their limits, and we end up with 1.4 damage per turn against 800 health.

Basicaly, we either need lower stats, or return to the d100s. Problem with the D100s of course is that health is not properly scaled to them. With D100s, health needs to be...humm...about 25-50% higher as it is now.

that is of course, unless you are fine with less sturdy characters being suspectible to being 2-hit eveny by weaker attacks, because of the huge damage variance that comes with d100.

I am much more in favour of reducing the stats we have now. This will of course mean I will need to rebalance ICARUS ability, as lower stats means she nukes absolutely everything. I am thinking of putting a limit of how much she can actually increase them. Spending a billion mana to increase your stats to one-shot gods is fun and all, but it may be better to put an upper cap, that ICARUS can not boost above. That depends on how much our stats get reduced in the end, but I am thinking the max should be something like 3 times the original stat. so a strength of 7 could not be boosted above 21.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:49:09 pm by Akroma »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14470 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:00 pm »

Of course, why would most people want to play a game like that? Unless they liked X-Men.
A. Not everyone likes godmoding. Some people like having to think.
B. It's a solution to our problems.

also, when has Sen ever been OP? I only ever saw her use her rather useless paper stuff, and never any other spell at all.
She's used all sorts of other spells, regardless of if you've noticed. Teleports, usually, but also other spells as needed.

So. System. It seems like the right system might help solve our balance problems. Here are some options I've thought of:

0. Keep what we have.
Should be easy to figure out.
Downsides: Do you really want me to list them all?
Upsides: Simple.

1. GURPS
Self-explanatory. We convert our characters to the GURPS rule system and play using that.
I think this link gives you a PDF of the first rulebook (aka the one that matters).
Downsides: It's complicated. Some more unusual abilities may be hard to translate to GURPS (though they're mostly the OP ones). Will take work. May discourage new players.
Upsides: May discourage new players. I understand the rules well enough to be willing to put together sheets for people. It's flexible and more balanced than any other system we're likely to find. Abilities are well-defined.

2. GURPS Hybrid
We use GURPS to define our abilities and play the game in some other way. (I used this system in one of my previous games. I wish I had planned the metaplot less and the plot more...)
Downsides: Still complicated. Still takes some work. Not all abilities translate well to our current system, notably attacks and leveled traits.
Upsides: Simpler than pure GURPS while retaining some of the balance.

3. RtD
We use the Roll to Dodge system.
Downsides: Vague and doesn't address balance. Requires scrapping current statistics &c.
Upsides: Simple.

4. ER
We use piecewise's modified Roll to Dodge system.
Downsides: See RtD. Overshots more likely.
Upsides: Allows more complexity than basic RtD without making it a lot more complex.

Any other suggestions or should I take these five and turn them into a strawpoll?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14471 on: May 30, 2014, 03:50:59 pm »

I point to my above post. System we have works, it's just the numbers that still need to be teaked to optimum. RTD is, simply put, a horrible idea. And Gurps, is so much work to figure out and get actually flowing

also, without a proper stat-referance for bossfights, gurps will indoubtetly cause grave balancing mistakes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14472 on: May 30, 2014, 03:58:34 pm »

I disagree. If we were 100% mundane? Sure. But our current system doesn't really help us any with having halfway balanced abilities, which are a major part of the current problems. And we don't have to fish for and test numbers endlessly. Not to mention that I'd be willing to handle the tough bits.

And I'd love to hear your logic for how GURPS bosses would have "grave balancing mistakes," let alone ones comparable to the current ones.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14473 on: May 30, 2014, 04:00:29 pm »

well, just putting it out there to the future GM

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14474 on: May 30, 2014, 04:45:26 pm »

Actually, unless he wants to stick to his entirely new game, I'd nominate Cado. He seems fair enough, but active and concerned enough to not let everything slide.
O.O But the MAAAATTTTHHHH!!! :( meh, i'll do it if no one else better shows up or offers. ...please someone better show up offer....

My story telling is not the best though.

Well, assuming we take the timeskip option that currently seems the most popular, you won't be needed to actually GM anything, Projeck and I will be taking care of that. Rather, we are talking about a plot reviewer who looks things over and tries to spot problems before they become on, keeps things in line with the lore etc.

A bit stricter than Elf, but at the same time, a bit more relaxed than Elf. No reason to go all "I am sooo close to shuting the hread down forever" when there is an arguement going on, and maybe instead trying to solve the arguement
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:47:51 pm by Akroma »
Pages: 1 ... 963 964 [965] 966 967 ... 1030