Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 1010373 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14355 on: May 30, 2014, 05:57:15 am »

the abilities are often less of an issue than various background things of the setting, like any law enforcement being an entire non-entity. everybody is entirely happy with what we do, we have unlimited resources and no obstacles in employing them. our powers are less of a problem than the setting being too much pro-us
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14356 on: May 30, 2014, 05:59:25 am »

Also, WHERE THE FUCK IS EVERYONE ELSE? There were plenty of magic users. Where are they? Did they use their magic to make crack and now spend all their time completely stoned or something? Why do the PCs resolve everything?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14357 on: May 30, 2014, 06:01:09 am »

*mumbles*
Oh dear, setting inconsistencies of dangerous levels. This is concerning.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14358 on: May 30, 2014, 06:01:50 am »

exactly. there is no reason whatsoever why the government should not have their own magic teams by now, alongside various laws on how magic may be used and how not. At best, IRIS may be one of various companies that employ magic users that gets government contracts and may get paid to deal with issues when the government decided to give IRIS a call and hire them for the issue
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14359 on: May 30, 2014, 06:26:07 am »

hmm, after some thinking, I think I may actually do have a proper explanation for the character development of ICARUS so far, in perspective to the whole matrix thing, alongside a possible redesign of ICARUS field of abilities in regards of a possible rebalancing of abilities. That is, ICARUS was not put into the matrix by the layar - she attempted to hack herself into it as part of the resistance. ICARUS will remain an electronical entity even in any reboots, so she more or less entered her mind into the matrix, as a mission to wake people inside up. The hacking process was slow, and so her mind entered the matrix gradualy, bit by bit. By now, she is still not fully inside, and thus the in-matrix ICARUS is still entirely convinced of the actualy backstory the out-matrix ICARUS made up.

when the time for the reboot comes and people are to wake up, ICARUS may very well be the one who initiates that. My plots can possibly be adjusted to fit whatever setting we are in when we wake up, but is definetly a post-layar thing.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14360 on: May 30, 2014, 06:31:25 am »

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14361 on: May 30, 2014, 06:32:10 am »

I'm still not sure that the matrix reboot is a good idea, it's basically just saying we're bored of this game now lets make a new one. If we do that I would actually prefer it if we just started again in an actual new game, that way it would be a completely fresh start rather than a clumsy retcon.

Edit: Also it's not allowing me to vote in that poll Akroma
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14362 on: May 30, 2014, 06:37:11 am »

I'm still not sure that the matrix reboot is a good idea, it's basically just saying we're bored of this game now lets make a new one. If we do that I would actually prefer it if we just started again in an actual new game, that way it would be a completely fresh start rather than a clumsy retcon.
Yeah, that has plenty of flaws in its own right, for starters, considering that Layar were characterized as having a code of honor, imprisoning and experimenting with people seems out of character for them, not to mention that if they decided to cast that aside, they probably would have something to kill off everyone as a fail-safe should they escape. Furthermore it requires the Layar to know more than they should and also the simulation to be as fucked up as the stuff this explanation is fixing. Surely the development team would have looked at all the shit we've been trying to resolve and say "We need to fucking fix that otherwise no one will believe it!"?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14363 on: May 30, 2014, 06:41:03 am »

it's not quite a new game, as it would be still the same characters, only with a few changes here and there, where their matrix self imagined them to be more powerful than they actually are. As for the strawpoll not letting you vote, I have no idea how to fix that.

also, it depends on who GMs the wake-up plot and the war against the layar, it might not be all that clumsy actually. Enough players agree that yes, there are things in that game that need fixing, but are unwilling to abandon established characters, character-interactions, established lore and plots.

the main problem I see is, how can Ashley be fit into this, as her plot and char development already started and suffers immensely from being interrupted in the middle of it. Sadly, I dont know enough about what is being planned to offer ideas other than this:

the simulation could mostly be fuelled by the people imprisoned in it, so the layar dont actually have to controle and set things to be happening. Ashleys void problems could have simply happened in the pre-matrix times already, and what is happening with her mind in the simulation right now reflects more or less accurately what is happening with her body in reality, where the void problems don't suddenly stand still just because Ashley is in a simulation

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14364 on: May 30, 2014, 06:46:34 am »

What would be the point though? Why would the Layar, who were just in it because it was cheaper to defeat humanity and extract resources than trading for them, proceed to blow god knows how much on creating something like this simulation, presumably using plenty of the resources they are fighting for in the first place?

Plus if it's fueled by the people imprisoned in them, then it won't work. Because there are people cynical and grounded enough to oppose the unrealistic elements. The nativity that fuels the inconsistencies only works if enough people are that naive.

Overall, I think it's a rather hamfisted approach to resolving these issues.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14365 on: May 30, 2014, 06:52:14 am »

could be the layar, could be someone else I guess.

Maybe it's an alternative world where Osmodias actually succeeded, his magnum opus of mind-controle enslaved the minds of humanity, which he now holds prisoner, while leeching energy from them or something. What we are seeing now in the simulation is just him having a laugh, letting us live through our defeat over and over again

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14366 on: May 30, 2014, 06:57:39 am »

Then how is everyone breaking out then? If he's succeeded, wouldn't he be even more powerful? Perhaps powerful enough for people not to break out?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14367 on: May 30, 2014, 07:00:50 am »

there ought to be some entities in the world that evaded the mind-controle. While we are fighting in the simulation, other demons or gods or whatever may be fighting him in reality. Gods don't usualy intervene, but when such large scale stuff is going on for too long, some of them may very well descend into the world so set things right again

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14368 on: May 30, 2014, 07:39:28 am »

GWG, quit trying to get rid of everyone's most used and favorite characters. It's not working.
Screw you and your accusations. I'm trying to get this game to be fun again. If that means defining the powers of some people better, then great!
Example: Selina's power. She can only create mundane objects. No communication bracelets, no teleportation anything, etc. No longer an issue.

To be fair, Kyle got slightly less OP in terms of powers.
How?

And you never objected to the OP people when they were in the original thread.
Because they weren't breaking the game. Now they are. Also, there's a lot more of them.

before you guys get started, this is not a rant, no argueing.
Just for that, I'm going to find something to argue with.

...to deal any damage whatsoever, ICARUS needs to roll above 35 - there is only a 30% chance of that happening, meaning there is a total of 15% chance to deal any damage whatsoever.
Last I checked, there was a 35% chance of that not happening.

...giving ICARUS a DPS of 1.4 points of damage per turn.
DPS is "damage per second". Talking about it in damage per turn is like saying "My car can get an mpg of 70 miles to the liter".

(Did this thought never occur to Sanure or Elf during discussions that the enemy also needs to be defeated in less than an IRL month?)
One, with turns as infrequent as they are and hit points as numerous as that, it'll take a lot more than a month.
Two, they probably added all those abilities to make sure that the OP characters wouldn't be screwing with him too badly.
Three, we should be using more OP abilities in this combat. Someone should have borrowed Will's rifle.

((also what, we were all in the matrix? God damnit guys, yeah go ahead and make any char development that happened and that was planned, alongside all the plots I had planned irrelevant))
Some things will need to be lost to benefit the game. The needs of the game's funness outweigh the character development of the few.

High str, mag or mind, no problem, but dex and end are the game makers
Another thing we'll need to solve for the new version, along with how absurdly undefined combat rules and such are.

How about this? Handle plots, lore, effects, etc from their cause and not trace from effects and do so with limitations in mind?
First, get a reason for why the eldritch/infernal/divine entities that everyone and their fucking pet dogs seem to be homies with can't just dues ex machina.
They don't need to, as long as the characters themselves can do so.

Next, ground the setting in causality. If Kyle or ICARUS or HILDA want to use or make some sort of technological or magical-technological implement, don't do just let them with a roll or something. Get them to explain precisely how it works. Consult @GWG for the science involved, consult relevant lore-holders for the magic involved. If it's possible but the means isn't known, do not allow it. What precisely did Jung have to do with the actual supernatural personae? For that matter, what about Freud, who was rather close to Jung and whose theory had some points of similarities?
Works for me.
For the record, I'm willing to be fairly flexible. Although I intend to make sure that impractical things remain so without effort.

Review non-original content. This has an awfully large quantity of stuff from other sources made by other people for other settings. Do they fit? If their mechanics don't work, then figure out what alternate in-universe mechanics could let them and what new limitations are consequently formed.
*cough*Personae*cough*
Those are hardly the worst as far as game balance and such goes, but to people who don't playtheg  ames they are confusing.

Hmm. I would recommend Ross Vernal, being the only other former I know of who managed a 4000+ page monstrosity (his went somewhere around 6000 pages) but he's kinda busy.
What about piecewise? Aside from managing a multi-thread (even before getting a subforum), ~3750-page-at-this-time game, he's dealt with the problems inherent with having dozens of players, applies specific rules to the situation, and keeps supertech and such under control.
Although he's busy too.

...the only person here I would actually trust with that would be @Xantalos simply because the only stakes he has in this consists of the desire to watch it burn to ashes as opposed to having actual interests inside the game.
I would count that against him. Nothing personal, Xantalos, but it seems that the last person I'd want fixing my car would be someone who wanted to destroy it utterly.

hmm, after some thinking, I think I may actually do have a proper explanation for the character development of ICARUS so far, in perspective to the whole matrix thing, alongside a possible redesign of ICARUS field of abilities in regards of a possible rebalancing of abilities. That is, ICARUS was not put into the matrix by the layar - she attempted to hack herself into it as part of the resistance. ICARUS will remain an electronical entity even in any reboots, so she more or less entered her mind into the matrix, as a mission to wake people inside up. The hacking process was slow, and so her mind entered the matrix gradualy, bit by bit. By now, she is still not fully inside, and thus the in-matrix ICARUS is still entirely convinced of the actualy backstory the out-matrix ICARUS made up.

when the time for the reboot comes and people are to wake up, ICARUS may very well be the one who initiates that. My plots can possibly be adjusted to fit whatever setting we are in when we wake up, but is definetly a post-layar thing.
See? With a little work, everyone's character plans can fit into the retcon.

That's true enough. The one advantage it has is that it lets us keep our characters, which many of us are attached to.

What would be the point though? Why would the Layar, who were just in it because it was cheaper to defeat humanity and extract resources than trading for them, proceed to blow god knows how much on creating something like this simulation, presumably using plenty of the resources they are fighting for in the first place?
Depends. Why were they invading Earth in the first place? Seems like anything they could want from Earth, they could get cheaper from asteroid-mining robots or using material mined from asteroids to make robots.

Plus if it's fueled by the people imprisoned in them, then it won't work. Because there are people cynical and grounded enough to oppose the unrealistic elements. The nativity that fuels the inconsistencies only works if enough people are that naive.
Also there's conservation of energy.

there ought to be some entities in the world that evaded the mind-controle. While we are fighting in the simulation, other demons or gods or whatever may be fighting him in reality. Gods don't usualy intervene, but when such large scale stuff is going on for too long, some of them may very well descend into the world so set things right again
Sensible.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14369 on: May 30, 2014, 07:45:42 am »

we are rolling D50s, not D100s, else 50 endurance would not be such a huge issue. but as it stands, if we fight in a conventional manner, we simply can not wittle this dudes health down in a sensible amount of time
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1030