Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 76473 times)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #360 on: May 21, 2014, 06:40:15 am »

I re-watched it, and it seems fine to me.  Perhaps a visit to the opthamologist is in order?  XD
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 22, 2014, 01:58:52 am »

I re-watched it, and it seems fine to me.  Perhaps a visit to the opthamologist is in order?  XD

Heh, maybe.  I just stared at 29's footage for about 3 hours trying to cut it down to something reasonable, so it's certainly possible.  It's a little choppy but I don't think it'll be too bad.  Now I need to go through it and add BGM, dorfy comments, excerpts, etc.  Probably get back to that tomorrow night.

Chekov's gun, indeed.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 22, 2014, 02:10:31 am »

So I just started my own spc fort named rushedcaves (ironically)
Now I havent seen the newer episodes of your film. But I did come up with a slightly more effective way of not dieing early on.

After starting getting ownt by aquifers and then gcs. When I started the current fort. Got lucky with a magnetite vein that I made it through the aquifer with. Then I set 4 of my dorfs as masons turning out stone blocks. (important. They're much lighter then a whole stone)

When I finally made it to the caverns I had them rush to built a wall by plugging the open spots between the natural walls. Within the first month I had a nice little 20x20 area cordoned off for farming  though my wood and seed supply were pretty low till I finished blocking off a larger area.

Initially I just needed 20 blocks to plug up and make my area. By then end of spring I had used about 80 of them to enclose an 80x50 area.  Its autumn now. My farms are still running on 1 poorly trained farmer but I should pull through on food. Now im carving out an entryway for the caravan. Total dorfs is 12 (2kids)
1 miner 4 stone/masons. 1 farmer 1 carpenter/woodcutter. 1 meleedwarf with a wood training sword. And 2 xbow dorfs (untrained but theyre overlooking the trade enterance until I can guard it better with traps

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 22, 2014, 02:15:54 am »

Linkxsc - when you build your traps, go for full Dorf points by improving on the OMG design!  That, to me, is the hook to FurnaceClans; not the survival (given a few tries, I'm pretty sure most forumites could do that), but rather the intricate and astounding use of machinery to acheive some amazing things.

Heck - do you u/l to YouTube, as well?  If so, links, please!  More DF content is always welcome, at least in my world.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 22, 2014, 02:28:36 am »

So I just started my own spc fort named rushedcaves (ironically)
Welcome to the gang, Link.  I look forward to hearing about your adventures. :)

Now I havent seen the newer episodes of your film. But I did come up with a slightly more effective way of not dieing early on.
There are a number of more effective ways to not die earlier on.  Depends on your biome and setup.  If you want a truly nasty biome, on the first page of this discussion (second?) is a link to DFFD from EdgeFigaro with a particularly gruesome Biome.

Nice work getting lucky with the magnetite through the aquifer.  If you go to Tundra, instead of Glacier, you'll find that's much harder to pull off.

Now im carving out an entryway for the caravan. Total dorfs is 12 (2kids)
1 miner 4 stone/masons. 1 farmer 1 carpenter/woodcutter. 1 meleedwarf with a wood training sword. And 2 xbow dorfs (untrained but theyre overlooking the trade enterance until I can guard it better with traps
A solid start, good luck to you! :)

Linkxsc - when you build your traps, go for full Dorf points by improving on the OMG design!  That, to me, is the hook to FurnaceClans; not the survival (given a few tries, I'm pretty sure most forumites could do that), but rather the intricate and astounding use of machinery to acheive some amazing things.

Besides the OMG, the Mamga Impulse risers/magma distribution, and Sikel the Silk Supplier, I'm not sure I've done all that much with machinery.  But thanks for the kind words anyway! :)  Always appreciated.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 23, 2014, 01:02:19 am »

Well in mine the first caravan is here. I rushed out a bunch of cheap crafts just to buy an anvil (they only brought 1 steel 1). Also bought some wood because im running low for my new metal production.  Have hematite marble and galena for metals so full steel except for hammers and maces. Wondering though. Would it be out of place to make a second pick?????
Also breached the second cavern. To which i hurriedly plugged the entrance so a bunch of giant bats cant come slay me.
Up to 22 dorfs still 2 children. 4 will be melee and 2 bows when im done equipping. I think I have enough wood for coal to arm and armor the 4 melees. Wanting to pen through the second cavern because it seems to have no magma in it. Just a huge lake.

Well thats all from me. When I get near some wifi ill post pics of what happened with my fort. Though pretty uneventful. Even when the caravan came the undead yeti just decided to chill over by the opposite edge and not attack.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 23, 2014, 05:03:45 am »

Damned Dogs...

http://youtu.be/3FkjP7uKs50

FC 29 is up!  Mostly it's me arguing with a dog head... and bad dwarven singing. :)

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 23, 2014, 10:02:25 am »

Some good luck there at the end.  Inevitably what causes the bad luck later.  This is DF after all  :D

Still very fun to watch, thanks for uploading these!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 24, 2014, 01:11:52 pm »

FC30 is up.  'Brawling in the Hallways'.

http://youtu.be/DnfBKR2xtHA

It's basically the fight, cleanup, and aftermath when an ambush breaks in alongside the merchants and the results of a yak with an attitude.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 25, 2014, 03:16:21 pm »

Wellll there goes rushedcaves. Year and a half in. Got my anvil. More than enough food. And was working on arming my dorfs (hammers ofcourse). Up to this point. Not a single death.

MIgrant wave cometh. So doth an evil snow storm come. Infecting the migrants with blisters and boils. One of them gets to my main staircase... passes out from pain... and is killed by an undead chicken... No big. Ill just dump him in a channel. Cover it and place a slab over it before he reanimaters. Send my troops up wait for a worker to go up and haul him to the pit... he reanimates kills 1 trooper by biting off his arm. Another by losing a leg. Theyreanimate. Everyone dies. The end.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 25, 2014, 07:29:44 pm »

gotta have a an airlock system for migrants.... preferable one is full of magma safe traps, and can be flushed with magma if anything starts to reanimate.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 29, 2014, 02:20:37 am »

Migrants are like candies.  Only take the best ones, leave the rest to rot on a sla... that allegory is going poorly, nevermind.

Just a quick note guys, FC pulled out of the flat spin it was entering, though we had a bit of an issue with clothing for a bit compounding the issue.

Then I installed Craft the World and I haven't even fired up DF in a week.

Ummm... Yeah.  I'll get some more material soon... ish...  Yeaaaahhh....  FC ain't dead. :)

Overfiend Cancels Play DF Tonight: Interrupted by other game.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 04, 2014, 01:15:48 am »

I'm back on FurnaceClans, and I'm trying to figure out how to edit 'watching happiness' into something that's not boring as paint drying. But, it's back in motion. :)

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 06, 2014, 12:02:45 pm »

Happiness tracking and management, to avoid a looming tantrum spiral.
Can be nerve wracking to play through, but might also be incredibly dull to watch... :)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 06, 2014, 02:07:45 pm »

Happiness tracking and management, to avoid a looming tantrum spiral.
Can be nerve wracking to play through, but might also be incredibly dull to watch... :)

It is, and that's part of the problem.  I can't even dorf wiseassery out the boredom, it's 12 minutes of high speed reviews of boring ass crap, so nothing sticks around long enough, and there's nothing even really amusing to comment on.

I think I'm going to assemble what I have, post it with the next video as a supplement for those who REALLY want to confirm that I'm not cheating the challenge and/or have nothing better to do than listen to my voice like smooth jazz in the background, and move on.  Won't even stick it in the playlist.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32