Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 76463 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #330 on: May 02, 2014, 11:21:22 pm »

copied and pasted from the comments of the video. :

Cassiterite: 122914
Magnetite: 14142
Candy: 2582
Platinum: 475

...Cassiterite: 122914...

0_0

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 03, 2014, 01:42:19 am »

copied and pasted from the comments of the video. :

Cassiterite: 122914
Magnetite: 14142
Candy: 2582
Platinum: 475

...Cassiterite: 122914...

0_0

hence
Quote from: WanderingKid
Tin: Volume in the insane quantities

Arc, that was me and WK's reaction when were were messaging back and forth

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 05, 2014, 01:51:53 pm »

Honestly I've rarely bothered with candy.  Usually if I go for the candy, it's to drill the circus loose for fun and giggles.  It aggravates me to try to control the material flow through the process, usually, to bother with it.  It really annoys me trying to keep it out of the hands of 4 year old moody children making me another goblet of destruction because I can't even point them in the right direction with labor.

And honestly, in this biome?  What's the point.  Candy axes and swords will merely make MORE undead as hands and heads go flying, not kill things more efficiently.  Bolt to the head.  Repeat.  Dump corpse.

Nah, I won't crack that until I'm intentionally going to see what the circus will do to entertain me.

For those curious, due to FPS concerns and the general uselessness of the tin, I've undesignated most of the dig area.  I'll have enough dug out already to last me a while if I want things like statues or buckets or something.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 05, 2014, 04:11:49 pm »

Children will never claim adamantine specifically. The two "bluemetal or madness" requests are wafers (only smithing moods) and cloth (only if woven, only clothing/weaving moods). (Raw) addy can be picked if it's the nearest available stone/block/bar, but you can simply forbid it after it's picked up and the kid will drop it on top of the workshop and go fetch something else. Mind, once i have a few hundred raw, i usually coax my mooders to use the stuff: once i have a handful of helmets and weapons, i don't really feel the need for more - steel's good enough for most anything anyway.

Cassiterite - you _could_ adorn a few thousand pots, statues and crafts with tin glaze. I think that adds 100☼ value each. In addition, you could simply allow it for standard jobs - it's a magmaproof material with increased (2x) value. I regularly do this with galena - since lead is of little interest and silver's mostly ornamental, i rarely find it worth my while to smelt the stuff. Of course, galena has a value multiplier of 5x, so galena furniture and goods have quite significantly increased value - e.g. 1800☼ for a masterwork mechanism.

StoneToad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 07, 2014, 09:02:19 am »

Don't the caravans have huge amounts of random steel items that you could melt?  Certainly if you ask them for a low demand order of just about every random steel item they have, they should bring quite a lot of it.  It's amazing what a quarry bush leaves - dwarven syrup x3 roast will buy out!

There's 2 ways of making them fairly easily:  If you're willing to use workflow you can specify the materials for the containers of the cooking job.  So the trick is to make sure that the dwarven syrup is the only item available to the kitchen that's in a barrel (or pot, you can't specify both in the job material setting) and leave the default 'any material' for the first solid item, and require barrels for the last 3.  Preso, some crazy huge value roast stack is now yours.

The 'no mods' second way is by having a 1 tile stockpile for the quarry bush (again, no barrels or pots, you want exactly one stack in the stockpile) and at least a 3 tile stockpile for the dwarven syrup linked to the kitchen.  This is a bit more annoying though since you'll keep getting cancellations if your haulers arn't really quick about refilling the 1 tile stockpile.  If you use the manager I think it will keep recreating the jobs for you though.

Hmm maybe this is my I get overwhelmed with migrants that I don't know what to do with in my normal forts...

PS. Just in case it does weird stuff with your youtube metrics, I tend to only remember to log into the correct youtube account when I'm hitting 'like' on the videos, so I think it will show up as 1 full watch and 1 watch of maybe 5 seconds.  So don't feel you need to make the vids shorter if youtube is telling you people are only watching half of them on average!

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 07, 2014, 10:59:11 am »

well, candy weapons would be useless in a reanimating biome yeah.. but candy ARMOR however, would still be VERY useful
much less encumberance then ANY other armor, allowing your dwarves to move faster in combat.. :)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 07, 2014, 11:43:42 am »

Children will never claim adamantine specifically.
Hunh.  Good to know.  As I mentioned, I don't play with it often because I apparently was going overboard trying to protect it. XD

(Raw) addy can be picked if it's the nearest available stone/block/bar, but you can simply forbid it after it's picked up and the kid will drop it on top of the workshop and go fetch something else.
I hate paying that much attention to a single dwarf...

Cassiterite - you _could_ adorn a few thousand pots, statues and crafts with tin glaze. I think that adds 100☼ value each. In addition, you could simply allow it for standard jobs - it's a magmaproof material with increased (2x) value.
Tin isn't bad because it's light, I like it for buckets and things like that.  In general though I don't have any particular need to worry about the expense of an item right now.  Between encrusted totems and food I can buy out any particular caravan at whim.

Don't the caravans have huge amounts of random steel items that you could melt?
No, they have some, and I buy them out whenever they arrive, but huge volume hasn't occurred yet, even with healthy donations and ridiculous trade balance (I usually give them 2:1 in value).

Certainly if you ask them for a low demand order of just about every random steel item they have, they should bring quite a lot of it.  It's amazing what a quarry bush leaves - dwarven syrup x3 roast will buy out!
Masterwork Dog Roasts are equivalently valuable, and require sooo much less micromanagement.

PS. Just in case it does weird stuff with your youtube metrics, I tend to only remember to log into the correct youtube account when I'm hitting 'like' on the videos, so I think it will show up as 1 full watch and 1 watch of maybe 5 seconds.  So don't feel you need to make the vids shorter if youtube is telling you people are only watching half of them on average!
Heh, fair enough.  It seems to be working out as planned, however.  The very long videos required a lot more work on my part to edit and organize, then to compile, then to upload, then to... The shorter ones are working out better on my half as well.

well, candy weapons would be useless in a reanimating biome yeah.. but candy ARMOR however, would still be VERY useful
much less encumberance then ANY other armor, allowing your dwarves to move faster in combat.. :)
Well, true enough, and perhaps in time.  It's just not immediately worth it to me.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 09, 2014, 12:53:07 pm »

Brief update, since there's not going to be an episode for a bit at this rate.

The tree farm water delivery system is floored up and walled off the drain, and is now re-flooding the floor.

The eternal war of the unburnable vs. the endless fireball continues.  It's a standoff.  The Cyclops that had died nearby and was working his way into the discussion is AWOL, ending my hopes for a tie breaker.  I'm hoping something on the surface somewhere eventually decides to wander down and help out the guy on fire.  I haven't thought my way out of the problem yet.  Not in a way that's actually useful, anyway.  The dude is fireproof.  I'm getting to the point where I may flood the entire thing out (that's a LOT of passageway to fill up) to the ceiling and just drown his butt.  My concern is that may force him to swim INTO the fortress, instead of out of it.  I can't seal up the machinery that drives the magma carts without breaking the machinery.

That would be moot anyway if he got up on the DWR and busted it up anyway, but I need to keep it in mind.  The magma delivery system would be my last ditch defense if that happened.  I don't believe my military could contain this FB.

The rest of my dwarves are mostly busy pulling up what tin I'd already mined out way down near the magma sea, so that's a long walk with a wheelbarrow.

Basically, status quo.  Nothing worth film time, unfortunately, unless it's a 1 minute video. XD

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 09, 2014, 01:02:33 pm »

Any way you can drop a glass block on the fire breather?  He wouldnt fly into the fortress if hes locked in combat.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 09, 2014, 01:05:58 pm »

Unfortunately no.  The B-52 run is meant to take things out of the magma ditch next to the minecart path.  He's standing on the path, instead of in the magma next to it.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 09, 2014, 03:02:12 pm »

Bummer.  How about an in-flight minecart directly from the west?  Sort of a Dukes-of-Hazarding paincart hopping over the magma trench and slamming into him from the side?  It would be risky as hell, but checking the latest video it looks like you might have enough room.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 11, 2014, 08:20:48 pm »

Bummer.  How about an in-flight minecart directly from the west?  Sort of a Dukes-of-Hazarding paincart hopping over the magma trench and slamming into him from the side?  It would be risky as hell, but checking the latest video it looks like you might have enough room.

Next episode is coming along.  I broke the stalemate via additional torpedo and now have other problems.  It's a bit short at the moment after editing though so I'll need to gameplay a bit and see what else I'm planning on doing.  The fort got distracted with a tree-farm water route adjustment.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 12, 2014, 04:05:35 am »

You have 14k of magnetite, why are you trying to weaponize tin?  If you had trader access you could make bronze, but I don't think you've figure that out (I've been watching a bit irregularly since 15 or so). 

I would suggest just making everything in the fortress that doesn't need to be weapons grade or magma safe of tin.  You could start a megaproject made from tin glazed blocks!  You must admit that a glossy ivory white tower protruding out of the zombie ridden tundra would be a pretty spectacular testament to dwarven perseverance in the face of adversity.   In case you don't recall, this is tin glaze, a glossy white opaque glaze used to imitate porcelain with earthenware (easier to find the raw materials for in real life as well as dwarf fortress).

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 12, 2014, 11:42:12 am »

You have 14k of magnetite, why are you trying to weaponize tin?  If you had trader access you could make bronze, but I don't think you've figure that out (I've been watching a bit irregularly since 15 or so). 
Well, it started with trying to weaponize copper and me forgetting that Cassiterite = Tin, so whoops.  Also, I haven't found the majority of the Iron Veins, yet.  When I do, I expect I'll be using the majority of that for steel.

I wanted to show how to use the workflow component for materials adjustment was all, really, since someone here had reminded me of it.  I'll happily credit the person, but it was a PM discussion, and I assume for a reason.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32