Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 76430 times)

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #390 on: July 11, 2014, 08:48:09 am »

I thought about that yeah, but after checking out the new version, I noticed that it does NOT have DFhack or Dwarf Therapist support yet, and even some tilesets are an issue.

The lack of DFhack will be annoying, as will the lack of tilesets be very annoying, however, Dwarf Therapist I really cant live without :)

So personally, I'm going to wait, and expect many others will do the same.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 11, 2014, 09:13:29 am »

Dwarf Therapist I really cant live without :)

So personally, I'm going to wait, and expect many others will do the same.

Yep.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 11, 2014, 11:59:01 am »

Got things moving faster than I'd expected this morning.  FC 33 is up.

A review of the Live Fire Pit, and some significant problems with it.  Also, the Ice Wall... a problem, a review, and a discussion of my fix.

http://youtu.be/ngJjuDggncg

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 11, 2014, 01:24:17 pm »

I have a guard rotation similar to yours going in my current fort that I had to tweak a few things with bolts in order to make it work properly that might help with your situation.

For the bolts themselves, I've found that they cant be in bins or a quantum stockpile to be used properly.  I've got a bolt storage area right by the guard station that's just a square stockpile scattered with bolts.  They also tend to get screwed up when trying to grab bolts of a different material than they already have.  Having 1 material only would help, although your situation really looks like it requires a mixture of bone and wood for now.  Once you get your ice wall done you probably will have access to a metric ton of iron goblinite that you can start mass producing iron bolts from (which get the bonus of doing a ton more damage as well).

I've enjoyed the series a lot.  Hopefully you get to take control of the surface enough to build a migrant trap or 2 to help get the liaison (and eventually the king) in safely.  I'd hate for you to put 45 years into a fortress and have the king die in a zombie swarm.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 22, 2014, 02:31:47 pm »

So, most of 34 is prepped... and then my drive starts making wonderfully 'food compactor' noises at me while getting read spikes with no data transfers.  If you're not familiar with that, it means my drive was dying.

Introduce RAID 1, dual drives, and begin a from scratch install on the new drives.  Copy over old data. Reinstall softwares, play hide and seek for keys, etc etc etc...

So, um, yeah.  Not AWOL, just playing with hardware.   :D  FurnaceClans saves are safe, now, though, as is the old version of LNP I like.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 24, 2014, 04:13:55 pm »

I have a  concern about the current save, and I've regrabbed it off the old drive but the problems still exist.

Problem(s):
1) Ice walls no longer form on water drops.
2) Burning corpses don't destroy
3) My idiot dwarves are dumping tons of dust near the cleaning well, which they never did before.  I've had to leave 20+ dwarves idle just so I can get cleaning jobs to stop me from having half my dwarves in beds in the hospital.

I don't know the causes.  I'm just going to have to muscle through them, but something went horribly wrong somewhere in here.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, my LNP didn't save me turning on weather/temp/etc.  Whoops.  :)  I'd have thought that'd come over with the init file.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 03, 2014, 09:17:14 pm »

So, having figured out what I needed, downloaded some few dozen software (and located their keys) and reinstalled most of my box, FurnaceClans 34 is up!

http://youtu.be/00Oi-S6y4AI

Thanks for your patience. :)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 05, 2014, 12:08:05 pm »

FC 35 is up!  And I sorted out a few of my recording/exporting issues, so clarity should be back on the new system.

Big deal in this one is a review of Snaake and Stochasty's cave in method for aquifers.

http://youtu.be/ThOnx9PI57s

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 13, 2014, 10:20:53 am »

hey, always nice to see an update :)
I notice in episode 34 that there are flesh balls somewhere on your map.
I have always wanted to cage some of those and use them for training, ever since I heard that their only attack is "bump" and they dont have any bones, or organs, so they only die to bleeding,
and would thus be perfect to make everyone a legendary wrestler/puncher/kicker/biter REALLY fast, probably some armor/dodge training as well
Though they die kind of fast to sharp weapons, and I have no idea how those things react to being reanimated.

Episode 35, whoa you have a line of vomit through your fort.
Looks like the problem is that the pathing has changed to make the dwarves not need to move through the waterfall nearly as often.

I had a place in 34.11 tiny custom generated map, all the places I wanted to play at also had an aquifer that was at least 3 layers deep, and I just had to give up at that point, I couldn't figure it out, and couldn't find a lucky vein that went all the way through.
I wonder if I deleted that map, or if I saved it and moved on, I might need to search for it.
would love to see a video tuturial showing how to get through stuff like a 7 layer aquifer someone ran into in 34.04 I think it was, I would just be stumped there.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 13, 2014, 11:52:05 am »

I dont think a 7 layer is possible on the single pick challange.  You dont really have the materials to make pumps (if you do you give up on an axe for caverns trees till you can make metal tools) so you cant use pump based methods such as the double slit and you dont have blocks to seal the shaft anyway.   I'm prety sure I could scale up the principles that alow breaching through an aquifer like is used in this challange if I had the time and patience for it.  However time is not on your side with this challange.  I doubt we could pull off a 7 layer breach before our dwarves starved even after butchering the pack animals.  Possibly if 5-6 dwarves were sacrificed for the greater good and you locked the migrants out you could buy enough time but your miner is going to be in alcohol withdrawl prety fierce and the trick gets harder when the miner slows down.

Now if you just wanted to breach a 7 layer on a normal game I'd recomend looking up the double slit method.  There are good writeups on the wiki and I know a few vids are floating around on youtube.  I punched through a 6 or 7 layer aquifer recently with it, its not hard.  It actualy gets easier on the deeper ones as once you get past the soil layers you can use smoothign instead of walling which is much faster.  Pagoda's vid gives a good rundown of the method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXQH9dliFZE

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 17, 2014, 01:01:45 am »

FC 36 just went up.  Nothing spectacular in this one.  OMG re-opens and we finish walling off the surface and clean out the undead population via Crossbow Herding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA6xX4g6YRs&list=PLdudzEyUcmvinY7TP1n65Tp8GqbFU9cbg&index=36

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 20, 2014, 10:35:47 am »

I have been watching your videos from the beginning, a month or two after I started playing, and continue to be amazed by them.

The whole concept of the Single Pick Challenge enthralled me to the point where for about half a year, that was all I did.  Single Pick Challenges.  On the same map you're on here.  It would be no exaggeration to say that I learned most of what I know about Dwarf Fortress while trying to emulate FurnaceClans.

So, you have my thanks.  I will follow FurnaceClans until it is finished.  And hopefully pick up many more tricks.

/salute

That said, have you considered a simple Titan trap for your FB problems down below?

A passage with a drawbridge at either end, with 2+ doors just before the exit bridge.  Wait for FB's to all path to doors, then pull a lever to trap them while they are busy destroying the doors.

Seen from the side,  D=Door, _ = floor, B = Drawbridge, pathing Right to Left.

_ _ B _ D D D D D _ _ _ B _ 

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 20, 2014, 01:44:42 pm »

Actually I've got an entire Obsidianizer trap ready to go.  The problem is getting them unstuck from the edge behind (or on top) of some trees.  They just won't path anywhere unless I can get someone in there to free them up.

The problem is the only real way to do that is to open up the walls into the fortress on the first cavern layer, as anyone trying to cut down the tree(s) that are in the way ground wise for these fliers to path will freak out repeatedly because they can see them hovering.

I think I'll just leave 'em there unless I get inspired.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 26, 2014, 01:23:17 am »

Just a note.

FC is... progressing, just very very boringly.  The biggest incident is that apparently creatures in cages appear in you animals list when they've become encased in an ice block.  That really wasn't a huge deal though, I could ignore it.

However, when it dies, apparently its undead self just *boink!* pops out of the ice encasement and decides to take a walk wherever it likes.  The undead peahen scared the crap out of a worker just long enough to squawk once before it took a silver whip to the head.

Update will come once I complete the next mini-project.  It's going very slowly due to me being cagey about working in a very confined space with where EVERY invader now enters.  I'm also tinkering with siege weaponry.  Cleaned up the surface though.  That took YEARS.

Also, I'm kinda waiting for the 30th.  Just so I can do a Happy Birthday FurnaceClans episode. :)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 26, 2014, 06:08:35 am »

A whole year on a single fortress...that's impressive.  And you make videos about it too!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32