Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30

Author Topic: The Bay12 Pokemon League  (Read 18216 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 Pokemon League
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2013, 01:10:51 pm »

Dayum dat Tangrowth.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2013, 01:17:20 pm »

here is the replay: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-45795728

god damn, this was close. Not necessarily because Elfs team was good, or because he had any tactics whatsoever, but by sheer luck

the attack that would have OHKOd starraptor misses (20% chance of missing), ice-beam freezes TWO of my pokemons (10% chance per beam, so that was only 1% chance),

man, so rage-inducing...had to really carefully juggle my options there to make it. thankfully elf seems to be unaware that flying pokemon are immune to earthquake
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2013, 01:19:16 pm »

I assumed Roost would have removed the flying type for one turn here as well. Also, with the amount of times you whirlwinded me I pretty much had one turn to hit you. :P

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2013, 01:21:06 pm »

Oh well, shuckle with accupressure is not banned, so why would this?
Mainly because Shuckle is a sitting duck with terrible recovery that can't actually fight back on its own until it uses Acupressure half a dozen times or more. Bibarel gets free boosts while being able to actually deal with whoever it's fighting. Even with that, it's less about being unbalanced and more about keeping the metagame competitive. Anyone can slap a Bibarel on a team and hope for +2 attack and +2 speed or even more, and roll over even a well designed team. (Except those with Quagsire I guess.) Normally, a setup sweeper has to have a window to actually boost; some have the bulk to take a hit on the nose while doing so, some require the enemy to be encored into a non-damaging move, et cetera. This is also why Blaziken's Speed Boost got it thrown up into Ubers. Ninjask, on the other hand, has a 4x stealth rock weakness, shitty defenses, and mediocre attack. So it's fine. (Despite this it's one of my favorite sweepers in NU because it can wreck Sawk, Jynx, Scolipede, and many of the other common offensive 'mons of the tier.)

As for the monotype tournament, I'm in. I wish I could pick my own type to use, though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2013, 01:22:54 pm »

well, if everyone could pick their own type, wouldn't it be a bit unfair for the ones who are not online the moment that is announced, so those at an opportune time just grab dragon and steel and have an auto-bonus?

anyway, cast your vote for the host-type (mine)
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2013, 01:23:26 pm »

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-45797712

Entry hazard! Okay It was more me forgetting types matches, but still a bane on all who uses them(Akroma)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2013, 01:23:48 pm »

The replay.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-45797712

How about no one gets steel as a main type?

Steel has ridiculous resistances.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2013, 01:24:07 pm »

Yes. *cough*Skarmory*cough*

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2013, 01:27:37 pm »

okay, next up is rolepgeek vs kansa

well, I dare to agree, steel has some advantages, yes. however, steel is pretty limited offense wise, and with fire, ground and fighting as it's weaknesses, is never safe, as those attacks are pretty common in all types.

but hey, if you want I'll leave steel out of the choices.

btw, if you find skarmory annoying, just look at ferrothorn

now THAT is a pain

we need ONE more person for the monotype tournament to be able to start (somehow I feel we wont get the full 16, which is a serious shame :/)

speak up folks, just one more spot
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:29:29 pm by Akroma »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2013, 01:28:54 pm »

Not really. I don't find Ferrothorn TOO painful. Especially when I have several counters (Staraptor, Samurott, Zoroark).

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2013, 01:30:33 pm »

Wait, shouldn't Earthquake have worked, since you used Roost?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2013, 01:30:56 pm »

That's what I thought.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2013, 01:32:56 pm »

One less Immune, a 4x weakness, slightly worse movepool, Skarmory is still more annoying.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2013, 01:33:07 pm »

roost removes the flying type in the round it is used.

the earthquake came first, not hitting the flying type, the roost came after, as skarmory is slower.

the turn after that, skarmory is already up and flying again. roost is only a liability when the enemy is slower than skarmory. skarmories base 70 speed isn't good, but not that slow either, so it can be a gamble. not against fast sweepers like haxorous though.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2013, 01:34:36 pm »

One less Immune, a 4x weakness, slightly worse movepool, Skarmory is still more annoying.

ferrothorn however has it's metal spikes that deal considerable damage on contact moves, it has leech seed, and it has protect.

also, ferrothorn has high enough special defence to also tank special attackers, that will shred skarmory
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30