Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What's the worst game you've ever played?  (Read 5637 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: What's the worst game you've ever played?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 05:40:20 pm »

Does it have to be THE worst game we've ever played? Because man, we've all played a lot of shit over the years. Much like I can't point "the bestest game ever" I can't point to the worst.

Here's a list of bad games I remember though:

-Any recent MtG computer game. It's so regimented and tortured, when all I want to do is a build a freaking deck and play it. Nope! Sorry! Gotta play for the right to even begin to manipulate your deck in minor ways!

-Impire (Hit an all time low for the # of features you get in a Dungeon Keeper clone.)

-Dungeons (It's hard to image how someone thought tilesets would keep otherwise utterly stale gameplay fresh.)

-Kane & Lynch (Whole articles have deconstructed how bad this game is.)

-Elemental: War of Magic (I've yet to see a 4x game that was so all over the place mechanically. It also set a new standard of bland for 4x games.)

-Might and Magic: Heroes VI. The most boring HoMM game I have ever laid eyes on. I thought 5 strayed preeetttttyyy far from what made HoMM good, but it still took me at least 20 hours before I feel like it reached mechanical pointlessness. "Might and Magic: Heroes" VI? It was after the 2nd level. I can't conceive how Ubi managed to suck all the fun out of the game.

-Aliens: Colonial Marines. It was a bad game at release. I wouldn't know the truth though. It won't even fucking launch in Steam.

-Alan Wake: What a pretentious piece of shit of a game. Overwritten, nonsensical, unimaginative enemies, stupid gimmicks littered throughout gameplay, laborious to get through and uninteresting to boot.

-Force Unleashed 2: Maybe not a candidate for WORST GAME EVAR. But when a sequel manages to be less flexible and interesting in the first 5 minutes that its predecessor.....seriously. They took all the good, 3rd person action of the first game and trashed it for something much simpler. And dual light sabers are supposed to be make up for that? Fuck off.

I've more or less blanked out the atrocious DOS/NES/SNES/SEGA/PSX/PS2 games. Probably because a lot of those games were a dime a dozen, and I was less critical of games than I am now.

The SNES version of Pit-Fighter is a nigh unplayable arcade port.

Except now I remember this. You want to give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it while you're at it? :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 05:49:47 pm »

Forbes Corporate Warrior.  This is essentially a business themed Wolfenstein 3D clone.  Awful.
That actually sounds hilarious.

That's the reason why I tried it.  But believe me, it's far, far worse than Daikatana could ever hope to be.

I'd also like to add Dangerous Streets and Shadow: War of Succession to that list.  Both horribly broken fighting games.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 05:53:14 pm by Bouchart »

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 05:55:01 pm »

Sigh. Please don't take what I'm about to say to heart, but...

GODDAMNIT MOTHERFUCKING ALIENS COLONIAL MARINES! WHY THE HELL CAN'T I EVER GET A GOOD ALIENS GAME? THE AI COULDN'T PATH TO THE BATHROOM WITH A DAMN GPS AND THE ALIENS ARE AS TOUGH AS LICE AND HALF AS SMART. WHAT THE FUCK, GUYS? WHAT WERE YOU SMOKING WHEN YOU MADE THAT PIECE OF SHIT? Pretty cool multiplayer, though. Could stand to be better.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 06:04:51 pm »

There never really has been a truly good game just about the aliens, has there?

Anyhow, my worst game is by far Gears of War 2. the campaign was the most torturous crock of bullshit i've ever gone through, for real.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 06:12:01 pm »

SimLife was also a disaster.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 06:18:19 pm »

very tough for me to say, especially since shitty games aren't easy to remember...

if i narrow it to pc games in the last 10 years, i'd have to say it's a close tie between oblivion and oblivion: guns edition
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:25:25 pm by TripJack »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 06:42:55 pm »

You know, once I played through the entirety of Road Construction Simulator. I'm appalled, in retrospect, that I didn't record it, because apparently nobody has ever recorded a complete playthrough of the game. That's probably the single game I've derived the least entertainment-per-time from.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 07:23:35 pm »

Now that I'm looking back on it, I can't recall having all that much fun with Fable: The Lost Chapters. Everything looked terrible and cartoony, I can't remember most of the story (and what I do remember are very generic tropes that could be in any other fantasy RPG), and I think I only died a few times, on the very final boss of the expansion content.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 07:24:35 pm »

I'm generally fairly scrutinizing when it comes to games, particularly the ones I have to pay for, so my definition "worst" may be a bit skewed compared to those who are a bit more liberal with their game purchases.

I would have to say that the worst game I have played in recent memory was the Avatar tie-in game. My parents gave it to me for Christmas and I decided I may as well play it, seeing as how they had paid money for it.
Gameplay wise, it was mediocre 3rd person shooter, but it really showed how little effort was put into its creation when it came to the story and characters, particularly the godawful faction "choices". Suffice to say, it made the humans from the movie look downright rational and relateable in comparison. I stopped playing in disgust near the end of the human campaign and was too fed up with the game to try the Na'Vi side, aside from a short test save.

If there is one good thing about the game though, it's that it showed the na'vi to be just as petty as the humans rather than going along with the movie's "Humans are evil! Only through the tribal lifestyle of these blue space elves can we achieve harmony with nature and personal satisfaction!"
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 07:31:33 pm »

I'm generally fairly scrutinizing when it comes to games, particularly the ones I have to pay for, so my definition "worst" may be a bit skewed compared to those who are a bit more liberal with their game purchases.

I would have to say that the worst game I have played in recent memory was the Avatar tie-in game. My parents gave it to me for Christmas and I decided I may as well play it, seeing as how they had paid money for it.
Gameplay wise, it was mediocre 3rd person shooter, but it really showed how little effort was put into its creation when it came to the story and characters, particularly the godawful faction "choices". Suffice to say, it made the humans from the movie look downright rational and relateable in comparison. I stopped playing in disgust near the end of the human campaign and was too fed up with the game to try the Na'Vi side, aside from a short test save.

If there is one good thing about the game though, it's that it showed the na'vi to be just as petty as the humans rather than going along with the movie's "Humans are evil! Only through the tribal lifestyle of these blue space elves can we achieve harmony with nature and personal satisfaction!"
Has there ever been a good movie tie in game I'm not sure if they should count.

Anyways as I said in the giveaway thread the worst game I have ever played that I can remember is Hyperdimension Neptunia it was made even worse by the fact that I paid 60$ for that monstrosity.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 07:46:06 pm by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 07:36:50 pm »

Has there ever been a good movie tie in game I'm not sure if they should count.

The GBA (and DS, by extension) version of the Episode III tie-in game is a very much overlooked beat-em-up game with some RPG elements and pretty deep combat. Lots of special moves, good renditions of the music from the movie. I think it has Duel of the Fates as the final boss music instead of... whatever song was in the movie. I can't even remember.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 07:42:33 pm »

I'll edit this post when I come up with a good enough game to hate that'll cause someone to get upset.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »

*Darkmere plays his trump card*

When I was a kid I had a hand-me-down Atari 2600 and the E.T. game for it.

/thread   8)
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 07:51:11 pm »

I've more or less blanked out the atrocious DOS/NES/SNES/SEGA/PSX/PS2 games. Probably because a lot of those games were a dime a dozen, and I was less critical of games than I am now.
Add flash (and a few other systems) to that / set and you've got me. I've gone through a few of those DOS/Win95 era <hundreds of demos> cds in my lifetime. Worse ratio of shit to bearable than even fanfiction manages. There's stuff in those things that are just... words don't exist, to properly describe how shitty they are. I remember it more by a deep seated aversion to the concept than any actual playing moments. I don't want to remember the particulars. Some things are better left dead and forgotten.

E: Which, to play the superiority card of minor jesting, is to say that I look at this thread so far and think: These are a lot of lucky bastids, if these are their examples of worst game played.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:22:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 08:17:26 pm »

Have to say Assassin's Creed is one of the worst games I've ever played. Let me count the ways...

1. Poor story, because you figure out who's behind things after the second or third story assasination.

2. Poor characters, the worst of which being the main character, Altair, the best assassin ever! Despite the fact that he breaks every facet of the creed in the first 15 minutes of the game, and then has the audacity to be pissed off about the consequences!

3. Alleged stealth gameplay when in fact if you do manage to stealthily kill any of the main contracts, the guards telepathically know he's dead and who did the deed. Which leads to...

4. Awful AI. The guards are either utter retarded, for example when you try to draw the guards of a marketplace away so you can go in the front door, by murdering one of their comrades. The only problem being you did this in low profile mode, so they don't care that you grabbed him by the face and thrust your fist into his back, and he's now lying motionless on the ground. They don't care. Otherwise they're Sherlock Holmes! You murder a guard in full view of the public and then run off amongst them, only to realise you meant to go the other way so you go back. Despite the fact that, at least according to the guards arriving on the scene, you've only just got there, they can evidently deduce, by the fact that you're not walking with your hands in your sleeves and your head down, you must be the murderer!

5. Invisible walls whenever you get into a story memory. I mean it was released in 2007 man, wtf are invisible walls kicking about for? If you want me to remain in the area when it's clear the guards are about ready to rush the crowd looking for me, put it in a damn cutscene!

6. Unbelievably dull and repetitive combat. Lets hold the block button and counter every time an enemy attacks. For 15 hours.

7. The eagle vision map-revealing nonsense. I like to know where I'm going with a detailed map, thanks. I don't want to climb a tower a ridiculous number of times to get that, along with a wonderful view of the city. I don't care how the games looks, how much effort you put into doing that. It just highlights how much time you wasted in not making the game actually fun.

There's probably more but I'm too tired to think about how god awful my time with this game was. I only finished it because I spent 40 pounds on it. For some reason I still played  the rest of the series, buying AC2 used and renting the rest, and the only one I didn't finish was Revelations. I just got tired of all this Masyaf key platforming nonsense.

A special mention for Assassin's Creed 3. It was the same crummy old gameplay, but the story was decent until the last 4 missions or so. Then they just completely ruin it, for Connor and Desmond.

Connor:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Desmond:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4