Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What's the worst game you've ever played?  (Read 5632 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the worst game you've ever played?
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2013, 08:32:26 pm »

I think the worst game I have personally 'played' was... I think it was called Monopoly Junior.

I got it in a cereal box when I was young.
I think it let one or more player play a stripped-down version of monopoly with all the decision-making elements taken out so the result was entirely random.
All of the choices.
You were supposed to, on your turn, take the mouse and personally click the spin button, then Mr Monopoly would basically describe everything that happened on your turn.

There was a sort of... 'mini-game'? whenever you had to pay money where it had the various denominations layed out and you clicked enough money for the payout. You were disallowed from clicking anything that would overpay (with an annoying, singular soundbite). It was 'educational', if spamclicking the one dollar bill to make Mr Monopoly shut up is educational.

Or at least that's how I remember it.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2013, 08:49:19 pm »

I would have to say that the worst game I have played in recent memory was the Avatar tie-in game. My parents gave it to me for Christmas and I decided I may as well play it, seeing as how they had paid money for it.

If there is one good thing about the game though, it's that it showed the na'vi to be just as petty as the humans rather than going along with the movie's "Humans are evil! Only through the tribal lifestyle of these blue space elves can we achieve harmony with nature and personal satisfaction!"
Has there ever been a good movie tie in game I'm not sure if they should count.

Pretty much all of the Lego tie-ins are pretty decent, if somewhat repetitive for an older audience. Or if you aimed for 100% completion.

I've heard that the Riddick games were solid... and I'm fairly sure that Goldeneye was a staple of every N64 collection.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2013, 09:21:37 pm »

Ugh. So many bad games. There's a ton of HORRIBLE DOS games that come to mind, and I couldn't name all of them to be honest. The worst modern game I've played. It might damn well be Halo ODST. God, I HATE that game. SOSOSOSOSOSO much. I dislike the Halo series in general, but that one is such a cheap cash grab. I remember in... 2009? When that came out. I picked it up for the full $59.99 CAD, and I wish I could have my money back. Basically, I don't really like multiplayer FPS's, it's just not my style of game. Plus, I live in the middle of nowhere, and didn't have internet access until university. I'd played the first few, and enjoyed them a bit (mainly just liking the offline co-op) but ODST... Everything about that game fell flat for me, and I remember WISHING there was some way I could get my money back, and spend it on a real game.

Also, every non-WWII COD game would be on my list. I hate that series with a passion. And when they lost historical relevance, they lost any shred of my interest.

I could go on forever... Expect another post from me in this thread once I put some more thought into this.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2013, 09:24:16 pm »

Has there ever been a good movie tie in game
they are few and far between: riddick escape from butcher bay, AvP 1/2, indiana jones fate of atlantis, blade runner

plenty of good star wars games over the years if you want to count those

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2013, 09:50:21 pm »

Hm, I don't really regret any purchases I've made over the years, but out of all the games I've got the one I usually think of is a RTS called "Extreme Tactics". It looks like Total Annihilation what with robotic forces, plays like Command and Conquer with mineral collectors and has a custom unit creation system where you choose chassis, motion, weapons and other to design units for specific purposes.

The ideas in it are quite good and there's a neat system of building stealth units with heat sinks, radar detectors as well as various levels of weapons from lasers, missiles and probably other things I've forgotten. It's just... my disappointment was that it wasn't Total Annihilation. Plus the rather 80's/90's name; "Extreme Tactics"... pff. All it needed was to be called "Xtreme Tactics" and it would've been set.

Other then that... I'm too forgiving. Neverwinter Nights 1 was boring plot wise (far too long), "Spycraft" was annoying because I didn't understand how to play it, Hellgate: London because it's trailer brought to mind different gameplay then it really was.

I could delve into cheap demos I got by the 50's on CD, but that's mostly stupid games no-one would've heard of like "Super Mom". ::) :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 10:11:51 pm »

Other then that... I'm too forgiving. Neverwinter Nights 1 was boring plot wise (far too long)

I remember enjoying NWN and being ready for it to be over, or at least a new storyline.

Then I learned there was a second chapter.

I never went back.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2013, 10:22:58 pm »

The WarZ. Or, as it is now being called: "Infestation: Survivor Stories". I can't even put how much I was disappointed into words. Yet, I still play it once a month, hoping it gets better and it never does, making me feel more disappointed. 
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2013, 11:19:21 pm »

God of War on the PSP.

So many quicktime events. Damn I hate quicktime events. Your sucess/failure of a quicktime event just seemed to be linked to an animation that would play, which gives bad memories of the FMV era of gaming. The character was an ultra-ripped tough guy who went around engaging in what was implied to be sex (I suppose showing any of it would have led to an AO rating and made it harder for the target audience to purchase (teenage boys going through puberty) so instead they just moved the camera away and awkwardly let you hear the whole thing (dont forget the sex quicktime events ::))). Its overt ultra-masculinity themes were nauseating.

Give me Superman 64 and Cheetahmen any day, at least they were so bad its good.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2013, 11:20:12 pm »

The most recent one that comes to mind is Jagged Alliance: Online. I started doing a video on it and... It was just too boring and frustrating. I even recorded my full review, but I never got around to actually putting the footage together.

Most memorable moment: "That pukazoid's worm food!" - Exact quote from the tutorial levels. The voice acting is terribad. Unfortunately just about everything else in the game is horrible, too.

The completely imbalanced armor and weapons had me pulling my hair out as a hobbyist game designer. One level will put you significantly ahead of your competition if you manage to afford all of the upgrades (Which you can only do if you buy money with real cash). Thankfully they removed armor piercing rounds (That cost over 200 times as much as standard ammunition) and nerfed invincible armor to some extent... but it was still pretty bad when I gave up.

This was all made ten times worse by the mindless matchmaking system. When you actually manage to find a match, you'll probably be put against a smaller team that's better equipped because 1) They're higher level, 2) They've earned more money, and 3) They can spread that money around fewer people. This was mostly obvious when your level 10 team of four got put against a one man who's level 20 or so. You couldn't even damage him because his armor was so strong, and he'd instantly kill every single one of your characters within two rounds. I was amazed that something like that was overlooked, and people were taking advantage of it for weeks before they finally patched it. Newbies didn't stand a chance.

Beyond that, there was no variety in the maps you played on. Every single one was literally the same setup with different skins and a few very minor differences. The way they were designed also encouraged people to just sit back and camp until the other team came forward, made even worse by the fact that taking quicker rounds gave your people more action points... So, naturally, the campers who could instantly end their round received a ton of extra action points which they could use to headshot one of your characters the instant they see them.

Terrible, terrible game. And I somehow sunk 20 or more hours into it until I realized, "Wow, this sucks on a level that's just depressing."
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Zyxl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2013, 03:52:27 am »

Personal disappointment is behind many of my choices:

Bioshock 1. Only game I've ever pre-ordered (never again). I was a huge fan of System Shock 2, one of the more memorable games I'd really really gotten into back in the day. As to why its one of the worse games I've ever played, there are entire articles floating around out there why SS2 was the superior game.
Ran through on the hardest difficulty using only the wrench when I could, died inside a little, promptly sold it and never ever played a "-shock" game since.

Unreal 2. It killed the not-Tourney Unreal franchise. Thinking back on it, reminds me of the Duke Nukem Forever flop. Unreal 1 is still surprisingly enjoyable/impressive.

Duke Nukem Fornever. Yeah, I don't have to explain that one.

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. Thank god I didn't buy it. Fortunately JA2 is still JA2 and kicks ass.

X-series. X2, X3:R, X3:TC is what I played. Don't get me wrong, I see the potential in the series, but, holy shit even the extensive fan-modding can't quite patch everything wrong in these games. I actively TRY to like these games because there's not much like them, but there are so many fundamental issues. Really looking forward to X:Rebirth. Hopefully it's an actual step forward.

TES series. No single game, but series, which I've probably put over 500 hours into. Bethesda can't get their shit together, nor can they keep it together. Same problem as with the X-series really. Love-hate relationship with the game, lots of time into it anyway, developers can't quite manage to fix the simplest things and attempts at doing so just make it worse. Fortunately the fans have managed to patch these up better than the X-series fans have patched theirs.

The Witcher 1. I LOVED the writing. Really did. The GAME was very rough, boring, and poorly designed. Might have been more acceptable over 10 years ago.

DayZ. Does a mod count? I intentionally waited a long-ass time before trying it on the account it was almost unplayable buggy. Still the case (awful shit like disappearing the first weapons I find), and apparently the entire community went to shit once it got popular and all the cool shit I saw in lets plays and such is all in the past.

The original Supreme Commander. Forged Alliance fixed a lot of stuff, but as a fan of Total Annihilation... it was actually a huge letdown overall. Everything from GUI to AI was awful or no real improvement... but really the worst of it was that the TA:Spring open-source project did EVERYTHING better.

I can probably try to think of more, and hopefully more objectively bad games though I tend to forget those more readily.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2013, 04:44:03 am »

I'd have to say Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace for the PSX.

Irritating platforming combined with the weakest lightsabres ever seen in a video game. I'd be surprised if anyone actually survived the Tusken Raider attack at the beginning of the Ridiculously Complex Tatooine Fetch QuestTM without enabling the Never-Die cheat or killed the Rancor in Jabba's fight pit without using the thermal detonator and accidentally murdering spectators you can't see. Then you have to GUESS the password to a door in the maintenance tunnels of Coruscant, with failure activating turrets and locking the door PERMANENTLY. Then there are NPCs (like the not-Queen of Naboo) who may or may not completely crap out on you and block all progress until you inevitably shoot/stab/'splode them in sheer frustration.

What's unusual about it was that I found all sorts of neat things in the better-made sections of the game that suggest that at least one person on the development team was trying to make a good game. The Ridiculously Complex Tatooine Fetch QuestTM had multiple ways of aquiring the parts for the ship, unique dialog for NPCs if you decided to jump around in a pile of rotten meat and a unique murderous Jawa that shows up if you kill too many guards (killing one of which makes the level uncompletable because Anakin gets butthurt). Later in the game, if the game detects that a side-quest character died before he could give you a blaster, a new character shows up at that point and hands you a ROCKET LAUNCHER.

Those nice touches manage to make the bad parts WORSE.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2013, 05:15:01 am »

Does a mod count?

It does if the mod makes it a new game.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2013, 05:20:00 am »

I had a PS2 game as a kid (early teenager, maybe?) which I very much enjoyed. It was called Orphen: Scion of Sorcery.
I never finished it(I believe it was a rental or something) but I had fond memories of what I did play, with fun combat and totally cool characters- especially the titular character, who was one edgy dude.

Some time ago, maybe a year or two, I saw the game at a shop and, somewhat surprised and excited, decided to pick it up. A short time later at home I was just sitting stunned before the television, mortified at the terrible tastes my younger self apparently had.
The game I remembered as being fun had the most terribly, terribly clunky gameplay ever, making maneuvering a pain in the arse, and the voice acting was something dragged straight from the pits of hell- those characters I remembered being "interesting" and "cool" blared nonsense out the speakers in squeaky pre-pubescent voices that would make the average CoD player sound mature, and the lead character-- y'know, the edgy badass guy with the mysterious past?-- made the most horrible, cringe-inducing attempt at sounding tough that I quickly turned off the game and fled.

I guess, though, it obviously did appeal to its target audience, i.e my dorky younger self. :P

I shall throw in a vote for the first Bioshock game, too. The story was fairly interesting, from what I remember, but the combat was repetitive and dull. Towards the end of the game it was literally just a chore, where each thing I had to fight lead to a drawn-out encounter, dancing around the area firing repeatedly into them until they finally dropped dead and allowed me to move on and do it again in the next room. ::)
Looking back I am amazed that I finished it, but then I guess that was before I became so lazy with regard to videogames. :-/

I don't remember too many other really bad games, to be honest. (I'm tempted to bash AC, but I never really played it because I hated it so badly.) I guess Voodoo Vince on the xbox was somewhat of a disappointment gameplay-wise, even if the theme and setting was nice.

Oh, every Crash Bandicoot (my favourite series!) game after Naughty Dog abandoned the franchise- man, that caused me a great deal of distress as a kid. :( Those later cash-ins just shat over everything I loved about the games.
While we're talking Naughty Dog, Jak X was truly horrible. Seriously, I was confused- Naughty dog knows how to make a good racing game- just look at Crash Team Racing on Psone! I cannot understand why they allowed Jak X to hit the shelves. (Wait, hang on, maybe it was done by another company? I don't know, I try not to dig up the painful memories of games like that too often.)

I think I just prefer to remember the good games.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]