Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132589 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:27 pm »

((The What? If you aren't going to get back to MwM2, remove it from your sig, is what I'm saying. I don't have an opinion on the forum thing.))
((Listen, if you love Applejack we won't judge you. Okay, we'll judge you a little.))
((Not everyone loves MLP. Personally, my feelings towards it are about the same as my feelings towards Twilight, just with a different reason for disgust at the popularity.))
((Ironically, it's a somewhat common joke that G4 MLP singlehandedly (hoofedly?) redeemed the words "twilight" and "sparkle", again allowing people to use them both in the same sentence.

But yes, let us leave this topic. It's, er... quite a well-beaten horse around these parts already.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 27, 2013, 09:25:30 pm »

((The What? If you aren't going to get back to MwM2, remove it from your sig, is what I'm saying. I don't have an opinion on the forum thing.))
((Listen, if you love Applejack we won't judge you. Okay, we'll judge you a little.))
((Not everyone loves MLP. Personally, my feelings towards it are about the same as my feelings towards Twilight, just with a different reason for disgust at the popularity.))

((Well, I'd have left it here if it weren't for your whole Twilight comparison. There's a difference between saying "I don't like the thing you like," and that's fine, as opposed to "You're a horrible mental handicapped person that doesn't understand anything cultured," which is the connotation for comparing anything to Twilight nowadays.

Or maybe you're also trying to circumvent the argument away from the original topic just to protect Applejack, hmm?))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 27, 2013, 09:31:33 pm »

((I will try to clearly and concisely outline my feelings towards both media:))

Spoiler: Explanation (click to show/hide)

((The biggest difference is that it's a lot easier to find specific things to point and laugh at about Twilight. With MLP...well, it feels more awkward.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 27, 2013, 09:38:07 pm »

((I commend you for putting up an explanation. As for my comment, it was mainly for the MLP joke. A pretty funny one considering how you and Derm reacted. Man, MLP would not nearly be as fun to bring up if it didn't have it's backlash.

I concede my routine. Good on with the magic shit.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 27, 2013, 09:58:44 pm »

But the players do have all the words from the get-go. They just don't know their meanings.

Separating words into full words, suffixes, and joints will allow players to form coherent sentences even if they don't understand the meanings.
And now you should create a competing Perplexicon system. That would be fun.

But I actually like the idea of making the language more similar to Russian, with the suffixes and joints. Sounds like a good idea.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 28, 2013, 08:12:25 am »

Well, the beauty of the Perplexicon concept is you could totally mold it into other systems.

Instead of words, you have electronic parts, and are trying to build cool inventions- kind of a Battlebots scenario.

Or instead of parts, programming subroutines, so you are mixing and matching AIs in a digital deathmatch.

Scrap all the original content and make all the words MLP concepts for a Perponycon game!  (Oh god)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #201 on: August 28, 2013, 08:21:58 am »

Well, the beauty of the Perplexicon concept is you could totally mold it into other systems.

Instead of words, you have electronic parts, and are trying to build cool inventions- kind of a Battlebots scenario.

Or instead of parts, programming subroutines, so you are mixing and matching AIs in a digital deathmatch.

Scrap all the original content and make all the words MLP concepts for a Perponycon game!  (Oh god)
Or even Allomancy, if you make eating different types of metals in different combinations cause different effects. By the way has no one though of making a Mistborn type game/arena?
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 28, 2013, 08:33:03 am »

Nah, wouldn't work. Equestriaverse is ridiculously similar to ours. The differences in mechanics - i.e. magic actually existing - wouldn't make much of an actual difference for the game. It'd be just pointless flavor.

And I, for one, dislike actual to-the-death fights involving the ponies. Just feels out of character for the setting.

I would, however, like to take a Metamorphica spin on the thing, creating a sort of a Metamorphicon - a game of Summoners.

It literally has a thousand different modifiers you could apply to a creature or yourself, including superpowers, and a handy table of creatures and creature templates to use. Get a suitably supersized list of random-ish words, mix it up, and it might actually work.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 28, 2013, 08:37:22 am »

And I, for one, dislike actual to-the-death fights involving the ponies. Just feels out of character for the setting.

I'm sure someone who cared more than I could come up with a plausible alternative.  Like... dressing up for a cuteness contest or some malarkey like that.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 28, 2013, 08:51:41 am »

I'm sure someone who cared more than I could come up with a plausible alternative.  Like... dressing up for a cuteness contest or some malarkey like that.
That would be... quite similarly out-of-character, though in the other direction. :P

The concept of G4 MLP revolves mostly around team-based problem-solving. And friendship, of course. So a game like that would have to be either team-based arena, or team PvE, with points for achieving a goal without severely harming, let alone killing, the opposition. Think something like the contact sports - ice hockey, american football, et al. Killing could make one turn to the "dark side" and become a target for everyone else - though again, the others would have to only use nonlethal restraint and dispatch.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #205 on: August 28, 2013, 08:56:57 am »

That would be... quite similarly out-of-character, though in the other direction. :P

The concept of G4 MLP revolves mostly around team-based problem-solving. And friendship, of course. So a game like that would have to be either team-based arena, or team PvE, with points for achieving a goal without severely harming, let alone killing, the opposition. Think something like the contact sports - ice hockey, american football, et al. Killing could make one turn to the "dark side" and become a target for everyone else - though again, the others would have to only use nonlethal restraint and dispatch.
Ok. You need to make Null become a hippie to win! Remember, teamwork and fun overall!
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2013, 09:03:55 am »

Ok. You need to make Null become a hippie to win! Remember, teamwork and fun overall!
Nope. Nonlethally restrain, knock out, deprive of magic, banish to the Moon for a thousand years - apparently fair game under this premise. Turning bad guys to good, or non-bad, is not a prerequisite.

It's all the fun of Team Fortress without all the fun of killing. I know it must be an alien concept, but that's how it would have to work.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:05:55 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2013, 09:07:58 am »

Nope. Nonlethally restrain, knock out, deprive of magic, banish to the Moon for a thousand years - apparently fair game under this premise. Turning bad guys to good, or non-bad, is not a prerequisite.

It's all the fun of Team Fortress without all the fun of killing. I know it must be an alien concept, but that's how it would have to work.
So, we can use Zentol? After all, we dont know if he dies. Perhaps if we use Zentol we just banish him. In fact, Null was the avatar of the Other, the creature we summoned with Zentol, so we would be sending him back to his master?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2013, 09:12:34 am »

So, we can use Zentol? After all, we dont know if he dies. Perhaps if we use Zentol we just banish him. In fact, Null was the avatar of the Other, the creature we summoned with Zentol, so we would be sending him back to his master?
If he belongs in the other plane, using Zentol to send him back definitely counts. There are problems arising from using Zentol on regular players though, in that you can't really control whether the tentacles just drag the target in, or maim/kill it first.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2013, 09:14:48 am »

If he belongs in the other plane, using Zentol to send him back definitely counts. There are problems arising from using Zentol on regular players though, in that you can't really control whether the tentacles just drag the target in, or maim/kill it first.
Normally the tentacles dont kill if used the word alone, the direct harm is done if they attempt to come out, in which case they may force their body beyond limits... Like the dude who lost whole torso and down attempting to come out.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 65