Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 65

Author Topic: Perpublicon: Round 1: Toaster Vs Tsuchi  (Read 132502 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Perpublicon: Publishing the Perplexicon
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2013, 06:44:33 pm »

I'm tempted to say "useless" or "reverse" as a word, something that works against the player when successful- "reverse sword" would be a sword with a sharp hilt and a "blade" of wood- you can use it like a sane person, but it's not useful.

"useless sword" would be a sword incapable of cutting anything.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2013, 06:45:40 pm »

so a reverse sword is a spear?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2013, 06:49:59 pm »

A reverse sword is a plowshare.

The word would essentially be a semantic modifier to the word immediately after it, with a defined resulting meaning. Like pressing an Alt key.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2013, 06:56:43 pm »

Words like that would e neat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2013, 07:10:52 pm »

Maybe split the whole thing into words, prefixes, and suffixes? A "word" is a thing - an object or a concept. Prefixes and suffixes would add modifiers to it, a-la materials and other concepts, like "reverse", "living", "giant", etc. Create junction words to be used between main words, "for", "with", "to", "against", etc. Make it more like a language.

Too complicated?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2013, 07:14:15 pm »

I'm not sure what that adds to the system. It does indeed seem too complicated.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2013, 07:18:55 pm »

Maybe split the whole thing into words, prefixes, and suffixes? A "word" is a thing - an object or a concept. Prefixes and suffixes would add modifiers to it, a-la materials and other concepts, like "reverse", "living", "giant", etc. Create junction words to be used between main words, "for", "with", "to", "against", etc. Make it more like a language.

Too complicated?
It sounds like something that COULD be useful, but would more likely just be confusing.

Some kind of "half-separate" or "Plus" word might be useful, though. Something like "Steel Crossbow PLUS Fire Acid" would make a steel crossbow that fires acid.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2013, 07:20:34 pm »

wouldnt that make a big ball of burning acid though

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2013, 07:25:38 pm »

wouldnt that make a big ball of burning acid though
Why would it?
Sig

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2013, 07:28:49 pm »

I'd think 'fire acid' would be fiery acid wouldn't you.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2013, 07:29:24 pm »

Basically an attempt to lessen the instances of people using adjectives as single spells by making more of a language out of the magic words. "Tar-Jub-Lazann Ao Nahitt" is a better readable form of "Flaming-Crystal-Claws Attach-To Hands" than whatever the equivalent in regular word combinations would be.

edit: "fire" as in "shoot". You could use "with". "Steel-Crossbow With Acid-Bolts". The reason I'd like singling out object words is because the missing "create" word is implicit to them.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2013, 07:31:01 pm »

Just use the word for arrow you twit.

If you really need acid bolts, use 'Glass sphere acid arrow' while focusing on the shape of bolts. Easy.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2013, 07:36:35 pm »

A full on language system is too complicated, I think.

Though, having a page of words dependant on position (changes noun after this word) or (chances noun before this word) could be a nice compromise. Combination words could help as well.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2013, 07:40:09 pm »

I'd think 'fire acid' would be fiery acid wouldn't you.
Not that kind of fire. The shooty fire.

Just use the word for arrow you twit.

If you really need acid bolts, use 'Glass sphere acid arrow' while focusing on the shape of bolts. Easy.
Which would lead to something which is unaerodynamic and also not what the original was going for. I'm inspired by someone wanting to make a crossbow that didn't need to be reloaded.
Sig

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 27, 2013, 07:42:10 pm »

'Steel crossbow acid arrow' Done next.

Also when did aerodynamicability ever cross into the equation? Are we keeping track of this now? Should I specify the gravity to the hundreths in G's?

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE LOCAL WEATHER PATTERNS IN YOUR DEATH ARENA.

Partly cloudy and a fifty percent chance of augh my blood.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:44:43 pm by dermonster »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 65