Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49789 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2013, 06:38:35 pm »

Well, the voice acting will probably never get better as it is a German company.

there should be a meme comparing it with skyrim's voice acting....... note that i've only seen gameplay videos, im waiting for those fixes.

now that i see it, X:Rebirth and TES: Skyrim have several things in common.....
Skyrim's voice acting wasn't too bad actually. At the very least, you didn't have 90 year old bodies talking with 17 year old voices. And since it didn't force you to go on NPC-scavenger hunts just to sell your vendor trash, it wasn't bad at all. Arrow in the knee didn't become a meme because it was bad dialog or voice acting; it was because every guard in the entire game shared this dialog, making it hilariously corny.

And if the voice acting won't get better? Don't force me to listen to it for minutes on end when I just want to find a vendor. Especially when they are just going to tell you to sod off.
"Hello Ma'am, could you please tell me where I could find an equipment dealer"
"Go boil your head."
And the game wasted 15 seconds of my precious gaming time to do that?!?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 16, 2013, 07:16:21 pm »

We streamlined the menu system, instead you speak to the crew to do anything
After being used to the menu system i could juggle them quickly with a few key ress... now... press 5, wait a few seconds, press 2, wait a few seconds, press you get it....

Now if i want to order anything to another ship, i cant target it using the map, i have to open the same god damn menu, wait for my character to turn his god damn chair, to use a menu that is veru much slow to react, wait for the menu wheel to do anything.

They change the menu system for another one even more clonky, removed the in-game editor wich i had a balst writing down scripts to help me manage my faction, ships, protection. Hell now i cant even transfer stuff between 2 different freighter, the order doesnt seem to exist or its very well hidden somewhere.

Trade system? Real joke.... cant set freighter on auto-trade, they get stuck half the time doing nothing ( dont tell me they are waiting in line because i could send another one and he would do it ), also if you want to be a successfull trader, you HAVE TO explore each and every station in all system, just having it in your view isnt enough, you have to find all docking point and so on....

Dont get me wrong, i really like the game, its just like sim city, it should not bear the X in front of rebirth, sorry. Good game, but doesnt have the X Series feeling, that feeling is a lost cause to this game even tho i would love to see that back....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 16, 2013, 07:28:09 pm »

Well, the voice acting will probably never get better as it is a German company.

there should be a meme comparing it with skyrim's voice acting....... note that i've only seen gameplay videos, im waiting for those fixes.

now that i see it, X:Rebirth and TES: Skyrim have several things in common.....
Skyrim's voice acting wasn't too bad actually. At the very least, you didn't have 90 year old bodies talking with 17 year old voices. And since it didn't force you to go on NPC-scavenger hunts just to sell your vendor trash, it wasn't bad at all. Arrow in the knee didn't become a meme because it was bad dialog or voice acting; it was because every guard in the entire game shared this dialog, making it hilariously corny.

And if the voice acting won't get better? Don't force me to listen to it for minutes on end when I just want to find a vendor. Especially when they are just going to tell you to sod off.
"Hello Ma'am, could you please tell me where I could find an equipment dealer"
"Go boil your head."
And the game wasted 15 seconds of my precious gaming time to do that?!?

more than the dialogues is because of the lack of variety in voices......also the discord that came from the TES community saying that it was a dumbing down compared to the previous titles.......something that seems to be happening with Rebirth......

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 16, 2013, 09:47:22 pm »

There's a thread going on in the Steam forums currently in which Bernd, the CEO of Egosoft (I believe?) is responding to some questions.

One snippet that caught my eye (EGO_zav is Bernd):

Originally posted by EGO_zav:
Originally posted by Hoeslayer:
Can we get an actual admission this game was truely designed for consoles and therefore underpar?

Underpar because of consoles? What do you mean? Because the graphics are so simple to make it run on consoles? Our graphics are unfortunately quite demanding causing quite a few complaints by people about the framerate which we try to address.

We are bringing quite a lot of polygons onto the screen in some space cities. It is just different if you design a station to be pretty from 50km away as well as from 1 meter away than if you design a shooter with fixed levels.

To answer your question: X Rebirth like you see it now is not designed to run on consoles, but we would love to bring it to next gen consoles in the future. If we do this remains to be seen. We did invest a lot of thought into making a complex game playable with a controller and we have experimented with the last gen consoles with different X games (had X3 running on Xbox and XBox 360 in fact).

My (admittedly biased by disappointment) attempt to read between the lines suggests that console compatibility has definitely played a role in Rebirth's design - either because it's what they were targeting previously (PS3/XBox360) or because they've always had an eye on next-gen.

Either way, as a diehard keyboard-and-mouse PC gamer for my sim games, this doesn't reassure me one little bit.  :-\
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 17, 2013, 02:04:17 pm »

Saw this picture on Reddit earlier. Note the references to "Xbox360" stuff all over. The extractor used to view the files is described and linked in the thread.

I was looking forward to this quite a lot as I really enjoyed the X series (after a lot of mods), but now we know why reviewers didn't get review code and why so many aspects of the game weren't elaborated on by the devs before release. As it stands, it's not a very good X game.

Where is the fleet management? Why do I get into trouble for defending myself around a neutral station when aggressors never do? Why is the UI somehow "streamlined" to the point of being harder than my first time playing DF, and tons slower? Does anything actually happen OOS? Why did they make that station walking segment at all when it's so utterly terrible?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #275 on: November 17, 2013, 02:09:00 pm »

I have to say... if they really think this game is going to pass muster in the console world they have a rude awakening coming. Console gamers are even more snippy about buggy games because its difficult to patch them later, especially because some people do not connect their consoles to the internet at all times.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 17, 2013, 02:18:01 pm »

How big is the interior of the skunk?

Watched a let's play earlier and all what was shown was the cockpit, a common room, and a cabin.

Is that really all that there is?
Does the interior come into any use aside from a place for your copilot sits and makes dumb comments?

For something the size of an m6 I expected something similar to the Normandy 1

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #277 on: November 17, 2013, 02:21:10 pm »

How big is the interior of the skunk?

Watched a let's play earlier and all what was shown was the cockpit, a common room, and a cabin.

Is that really all that there is?
Does the interior come into any use aside from a place for your copilot sits and makes dumb comments?

For something the size of an m6 I expected something similar to the Normandy 1
The bit you can walk around in its pretty much the cockpit and the common room/cabin yeah. I'm sure there is supposed to be more there but not that you can go into.

And no, it has no purpose at all.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 17, 2013, 03:14:42 pm »

So that whole hire a crew thing, does that exist?
Where do your extra crew members go?

The LP I watched showed him hiring a new captain for his freighter but didn't show where that captain went on the skunk, does he sit in the common room or sit in the inaccessible cargo bay?

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #279 on: November 17, 2013, 03:30:20 pm »

When you undock you can go into your menu system and select crew. So far I've only seen my engineer in the back. I've not had the Captain just hanging around, I normally pick him up and drop him at the station.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 17, 2013, 03:32:11 pm »

The LP I watched showed him hiring a new captain for his freighter but didn't show where that captain went on the skunk, does he sit in the common room or sit in the inaccessible cargo bay?
*crew* room of the skunk untill you dock witht he target ship to host the new captain.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #281 on: November 17, 2013, 03:38:43 pm »

The people you hire are 'onboard' but you have to call them though the comms menu. Seems nonsensical.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 17, 2013, 03:44:06 pm »

from the gameplay videos i've seen theres a ladder in the main room, so the crew would be located in the upper part of the ship. of course it isnt a reachable location...

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #283 on: November 17, 2013, 04:22:28 pm »

There is a fix out for the trade ship getting stuck and not picking any wares up:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=195774558#-1

Updated OP

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 17, 2013, 05:49:10 pm »

There is a fix out for the trade ship getting stuck and not picking any wares up:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=195774558#-1

Updated OP

It says a lot that the 'fix' isn't actually a fix for the bug.  It's a fix for a savegame affected by the bug.  It simply deletes the trade order that's causing the problem - because there isn't a way to do that in-game.  Because, you know, in a massive galactic trading simulation it's obviously not necessary to give you the ability to view and/or cancel your outstanding trade orders.  *facepalm*

The bug can still reoccur later on, at which point you then need to do the same savegame edit to fix it again.

I'm genuinely quite upset about this game.  I really, really wanted to like it.  I deliberately took a break from it, focussed myself on not thinking of it as an X game but rather as some sort of Freelancer-inspired space adventure with a bit of trading thrown in, and went back to it.  And I couldn't get past the sheer frustrations brought by the interface.

I gave up in the end.  I shouldn't have to wrestle with a game in order to find the 'fun' hidden within.  Even with Dwarf Fortress, you just have to learn your pathway through the UI clutter...it doesn't feel like it's actively trying to ignore and/or sabotage you, which is what Rebirth feels like.

So very, very disappointed.  :-\  The now-fairly-obvious console-targeted development is simply the rotting cherry on top of the mouldy cake.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28