Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49763 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2013, 02:42:49 pm »

The idea of controlling a capital ship from the bridge sounds pretty cool.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2013, 03:48:23 pm »

You know what?

I wonder if the AI improved because it would be !!!FUN!!! if the capital ship you're currently on decided to randomly plow into another capital followed by a large asteroid (and possibly playing space baseball bith a nearby M3-5 that was unlucky enough to be in the general area of the massive AI derp).

One second you're on a giant M2
A second later you're space dust.
Oh you saved two seconds ago?
TOO BAD!

stuff like this happened in the previous X games where the pathing AI was quite wonky sometimes.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2013, 04:14:47 pm »

You know what?

I wonder if the AI improved because it would be !!!FUN!!! if the capital ship you're currently on decided to randomly plow into another capital followed by a large asteroid (and possibly playing space baseball bith a nearby M3-5 that was unlucky enough to be in the general area of the massive AI derp).

TOO BAD!

Hey, just because I christened my M2 the Starship Titanic, that doesn't mean... oh shit.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2013, 05:54:24 pm »

You know what?

TOO BAD!

Hey, just because I christened my M2 the Starship Titanic, that doesn't mean... oh shit.
You you just doomed it to the fate of smalling into an ice asteroid.
Good job mate.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2013, 05:07:38 pm »

I really have to disagree, and I don't like others telling me something I enjoy isn't fun. I liked piloting capital ships in X3 and they turned slow as hell. Not everyone is a goddamn adrenaline action junkie.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2013, 12:03:57 am »

I really have to disagree, and I don't like others telling me something I enjoy isn't fun. I liked piloting capital ships in X3 and they turned slow as hell. Not everyone is a goddamn adrenaline action junkie.

Exactly my thought and the comment from Egosoft on it puzzles me. I don't remember anyone ever asking for them to make capital ships zippy and maneuverable, and in my opinion the ponderous nature of capships made them feel like they had real size. Personally I found the fighter combat of X3 incredibly tedious, you could often easily defeat groups of enemy fighters and even corvettes by strafing in circles. Meanwhile Frigates and larger basically ignored you or swatted you out of the sky with flak.

I loved the feeling of flying a large craft and hearing my various turrets firing off at everything nearby, plus I enjoyed having the ability to do real damage with an alpha strike of the heavy capital weapons.

According to Egosoft I was entirely wrong in enjoying that because it was objectively boring so I'm not allowed to do it anymore. Even disregarding that I don't trust the AI to pilot my 100 million dollar investment in anything other than open space, let alone in a battle.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2013, 01:46:13 am »

I'm on the other fence though, I LOVE this change. Why? It makes me feel like a Captain/Admiral proper. Captain Picard isn't the one with his hands on the controls, piloting the ship himself and aiming the guns, oh no. He's in his chair, telling everyone ELSE what to do to fly his ship the way he wants it. While the AI might have been stupid in previous games, I'm going to wait and see what the future brings for Rebirth, as what I've seen so far is incredibly promising.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2013, 01:49:42 am »

I don't remember anyone ever asking for them to make capital ships zippy and maneuverable

And they're not. Capital ships are still (As far as they've told us) going to be slow and hard to maneuver as they are in X3. The difference here is in Rebirth you don't fly the capital ship single-handedly like a slow fighter.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2013, 02:12:49 am »

I don't remember anyone ever asking for them to make capital ships zippy and maneuverable

And they're not. Capital ships are still (As far as they've told us) going to be slow and hard to maneuver as they are in X3. The difference here is in Rebirth you don't fly the capital ship single-handedly like a slow fighter.

My statement there was regarding what Egosoft said:

Steering huge and slowly-turning ships manually just doesnt make sense. It would force us to make them turn and move unrealistically quick and even then they would be impossible to maneuver near our huge and complex shaped stations.

I don't understand where they got the idea that they would need to make capital ships fast and maneuverable to make it fun to fly them. If they're worried about the ships not being able to fly near stations, it was incredibly hard to fly M2s and M1s near stations in X3. Thankfully there was an easy solution: park the ship nearby and use a docked fighter or transport to ferry things between the station and the ship.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2013, 03:06:13 am »

Steering huge and slowly-turning ships manually just doesnt make sense. It would force us to make them turn and move unrealistically quick and even then they would be impossible to maneuver near our huge and complex shaped stations.
I don't understand where they got the idea that they would need to make capital ships fast and maneuverable to make it fun to fly them. If they're worried about the ships not being able to fly near stations, it was incredibly hard to fly M2s and M1s near stations in X3. Thankfully there was an easy solution: park the ship nearby and use a docked fighter or transport to ferry things between the station and the ship.
Point is, they were already to fast and maneuverable for their size in X:3 and previous games. Something which they stopped doing now, apparently.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2013, 03:13:43 am »

Its the same old balancing act.  In games, what is often 'realistic' isn't -fun-, so games have always had to spoof toward what the vast majority of people would enjoy instead of being based on things like facts.  At this point though, we just don't know enough about how the gameplay is going to be for us to actually judge how good or bad it is until we can get knee deep into it.

I'm actually looking forward to getting up and walking around my ship, and then disembarking onto my station and getting to sit around in the canteen while listening to the latest galactic news. Mwhaha.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2013, 06:19:01 am »

you can still just dock with it and sit on the bridge, you just cant manually hold down the right arrow key for 3 min to turn 90° and i guess they move even slower in XR than in X3, well depending how you build them i guess.

instead everything goes over captains(ships)/managers(factories) like an "upgraded" version of the X3 autopilot. and if they are that slow you would use the autopilot anyways as manually giving inputs just takes forever and is "meaningless", as it is more about the "grand strategy" of where the capital ship needs to be and not the "quick decision" of dodging shots.

or you now can even ride the capital ship, as in you sit somewhere with your ship on their hull with a good view and ride it along while yelling orders to the captain that you hired.
i dont think the removal of manual holding arrowkeys to move a snail/brick around to be that bad if they get the immersion/mechanics/atmosphere/conversations with the crew/captains/managers/people well made, as in "not a obvious autopilot menu when talking to the "autopilot".... erm  "captain".

but we just have to wait and see.... i also think that modders probably can get the manual controls back... like "if (on bridge or on playership pilotchair) enable manual steering".
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:20:56 am by Nelia Hawk »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2013, 08:50:47 am »

Well i said it before and i'm going to say it again.

PRAY that the AI is not as derpy as it used to be because your fleet will disintegrate the moment you enter the sector with it.
It will be very sad if the most sought out mods in the game will be about having ships not explode when docking/undocking.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2013, 10:00:01 am »

Really, the X:3 AI and previous versions is not that bad. It's just that the AI will be given less processor capacity when the game threatens to lag. (Best observed by activating SETA in a widely populated area).

Considering computers advanced quite a bit, and that they rewrote their engine, it should work fine.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2013, 05:02:00 pm »

I am hoping captaining a capital ship will be in the same fashion as in Silent Hunter.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28