Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)  (Read 49728 times)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Rebirth - It's really happening (NOV 15)
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 02:16:30 pm »

And screw you if you'd rather be something other than that I guess, yeah? I don't really like the ship tbh and I normally trade out for a freighter so I can make money trading and start some business stuff going.

Well, yeah. All I'm pointing out is that the trailer is very clear about the context of being able to do anything. If you don't like the main character in a game, in this case a ship and a pilot, don't get the game.

It's quite likely that the player ship will be very costumisable. If you want to make money as a trader, simply invest in cargo space and/or speed until you can afford to hire a few freighters to do the work for you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2013, 02:19:54 pm »

It didn't fly different, didn't have it's own mechanics, and didn't even have a cockpit.

Same can be accomplished by hiring a freighter to follow your little scout. Probably better, as it significantly improves survival chances when being ambushed.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2013, 03:53:20 pm »

This looks really good. There was one game where you could have only one ship, but you could evolve it (don't remember its name) so maybe this will work similar

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2013, 04:13:46 pm »

This looks really good. There was one game where you could have only one ship, but you could evolve it (don't remember its name) so maybe this will work similar

Darkstar One.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2013, 04:41:10 pm »

Darkstar One.

Yee, thats the game

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2013, 07:48:53 pm »

Walking around in the stations looks great, it was the next logical step in the game and they seem to have really put in the leg work in that regard.

I'm a bit worried about the pacing of it though. Docking at stations is slow enough at X3, I have a feeling boarding stations could really slow things down and become tedius rather fast.
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2013, 10:46:52 pm »

Simon, do you get time off from coding to play any other games out there? XD

I'm hoping the docking process might become automated similar to the docking computer. Perhaps sooner and for a cheaper price. So those who wanted to manually dock once in awhile could still do so, while others could just skip to.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2013, 01:25:13 am »

Oh the docking inteligence has been vastly improved. There was a video about it once... dont remember the link but i do remember seeing it.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2013, 03:25:47 am »

Oh the docking inteligence has been vastly improved. There was a video about it once... dont remember the link but i do remember seeing it.

you probably meant this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt4B4e3i5_0

from their official youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Xuniversechannel

they dont have that many videos, but the few they have are quite interesting to watch.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2013, 03:42:56 am »

you probably meant this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt4B4e3i5_0

from their official youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Xuniversechannel

they dont have that many videos, but the few they have are quite interesting to watch.
Xactly!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2013, 04:39:58 pm »

Simon, do you get time off from coding to play any other games out there? XD

I try to, but then I start to binge and get no work done. I put 200 or so hours into X3 Terran conflict back in the day, unlikely to ever have that sort of free time again now though. *sigh*
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 10:47:36 pm »

I'm hoping you'll be able to dock with capital ships and take control of them, or that a mod will come around that'll allow you to do that.

Also hope the combat isn't as iffy

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2013, 02:07:52 pm »

I'm hoping you'll be able to dock with capital ships and take control of them, or that a mod will come around that'll allow you to do that.

Also hope the combat isn't as iffy

I'm much happier now, i was looking on the forums for tips for the current X game and came across some interesting info on rebirth

Capital ship control

Where the drones are your preferred vehicles for specialized tasks inside and near the surface of a station, capital ships are your vehicle of choice for all the many "big" tasks. From transportation of goods, collecting of resources like ore, gas or plasma up to large carriers and destroyers. They all exist in X Rebirth and you can of course own and operate many of them!

You can in fact even land on these beasts and get out of your playership to meet NPCs while watching the large ship move around in space FROM the deck of the ship!

You won't be sitting in the cockpit and steer such a capital ship from the first person perspective anymore simply because that is boring. Steering huge and slowly-turning ships manually just doesnt make sense. It would force us to make them turn and move unrealistically quick and even then they would be impossible to maneuver near our huge and complex shaped stations.

Instead the steering is done by NPCs who work for you but closely follow your orders. You can control capital ships who work for you in many new ways.

so it seems you will still be able to land on your capital ships and control it while docked on it. I feel a better about having this ability and i think this would be more enjoyable than flying them in the previous games and we can stuill be inside the ship and issue commands and watch how its going from inside the ship.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=306576 - link to the info

He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2013, 02:20:56 pm »

... Actually, being a self-made merchant fleet admiral with my own capitol ship I can lead from sounds pretty awesome. I hope the NPC pilot system extends to the Pride of Albion as well, so you could customize it as a scout, or AWAC, or something, something and just take control of it personally when you're feeling adventurous.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2013, 02:25:22 pm »

You know what?

I wonder if the AI improved because it would be !!!FUN!!! if the capital ship you're currently on decided to randomly plow into another capital followed by a large asteroid (and possibly playing space baseball bith a nearby M3-5 that was unlucky enough to be in the general area of the massive AI derp).

One second you're on a giant M2
A second later you're space dust.
Oh you saved two seconds ago?
TOO BAD!
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28