Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 558619 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 928 Go
« Reply #315 on: November 10, 2013, 10:48:49 pm »

"You'll Live"

GOD I LOVE TARQUIN  :D
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 929 Through
« Reply #316 on: November 11, 2013, 05:31:47 am »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 11, 2013, 09:36:24 am »

That takes me back...
... y'know, reading past that a bit and... I think it's just the hair, but... is it just me, or does Xykon kinda' look a bit like Tarquin and family?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 11, 2013, 10:36:19 am »

I don't think anybody is denying that come 24 hours, Sabine will tear the skies asunder and return with all the forces of hell she can command with the sole objective of fucking up Team Tarquin's day, but this particular battle is almost certainly not lasting that long.
You know, if Qvarr is smart enough to be holding onto a future service token from a high-level demon, Sabine must have a lot more ready.

Of course, Tarquin probably has another squadron cross trained in anti-demon combat.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 11, 2013, 01:23:26 pm »

That takes me back...
... y'know, reading past that a bit and... I think it's just the hair, but... is it just me, or does Xykon kinda' look a bit like Tarquin and family?
That reminds me of the thoughts that Haley was related to the Draketooths because of the hair. The Giant basically said that they had the same hair because there's only a few ways to draw hair in a stick figure comic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #320 on: November 11, 2013, 01:28:50 pm »

Hit Points and the like have no "fourth wall" connotations. They are actual laws of this universe. Asking how many HP someone has isn't any different from asking someone in our world how hungry they are.
Except you would have no way of knowing whether someone would be able to survive a sword through the gut any more than you could accurately gauge on some hunger-ometer how far away someone is from starvation.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 11, 2013, 01:35:33 pm »

Hit Points and the like have no "fourth wall" connotations. They are actual laws of this universe. Asking how many HP someone has isn't any different from asking someone in our world how hungry they are.
Except you would have no way of knowing whether someone would be able to survive a sword through the gut any more than you could accurately gauge on some hunger-ometer how far away someone is from starvation.
Shonus isn't saying that we could, he's saying that the rules of their universe allow them too, it has nothing to do with what we can and can't do.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 11, 2013, 01:37:03 pm »

They aren't talking to the readers. They aren't commenting on how this is a comic. They aren't complaining about how the author has gone out of his way to screw with them.

This particular strip isn't any more fourth wall breaking than your average Dilbert strip.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #323 on: November 11, 2013, 01:41:16 pm »

Shonus isn't saying that we could, he's saying that the rules of their universe allow them too, it has nothing to do with what we can and can't do.
Yeah, and that's metagaming. Tarquin is being that guy.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 11, 2013, 02:17:49 pm »

But* all** the*** characters**** have consistently done this.

*Referencing level up mechanics
**Referencing Concentration checks
***Referencing rule book entries
****Skill Points, and I no longer care.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 11, 2013, 08:37:28 pm »

But* all** the*** characters**** have consistently done this.

*Referencing level up mechanics
**Referencing Concentration checks
***Referencing rule book entries
****Skill Points, and I no longer care.
And yet besides a few semi-aware moments (referencing comic strips, mentioning how overdone something is), and the knowledge of dramatic conventions, the only person whom I can remember directly breaking the wall is the Oracle with his "And that's a in-comic year, not a actual year, Oracle fans!".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 11, 2013, 10:02:24 pm »

There's plenty of fourth-wall breaking in the early strips.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 11, 2013, 10:19:35 pm »

There's plenty of fourth-wall breaking in the early strips.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EarlyInstallmentWeirdness There is essentially no plot for the first few strips, and they're basically jokes and D&D's 3.5 edition. Once they leave the dungeon, the Giant went something like "Wait I need  actual plot", and started thinking things far in advance. I heard on the OotS forum that Durkon's Vampirism was the single most thought-out-in-advance thing in the comic, his condition being always planned for him as character development. Which means he won't die here, screaming for his god as he burns under the desert sun.

Maybe Haley's looted wands?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 12, 2013, 12:42:02 am »

And yet besides a few semi-aware moments (referencing comic strips, mentioning how overdone something is), and the knowledge of dramatic conventions, the only person whom I can remember directly breaking the wall is the Oracle with his "And that's a in-comic year, not a actual year, Oracle fans!".
But... Tarquin didn't do that. He just made an assumption about hit points.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 12, 2013, 01:29:07 am »

But... Tarquin didn't do that. He just made an assumption about hit points.
I know! That is what I joined in saying, although perhaps unclearly.

Tarquin would seem like the kinda guy to meta-game, but given they are aware of the mechanics it falls under his ego making him boost himself instead.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 313