Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 313

Author Topic: Order of the Stick  (Read 558601 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 927 Can't Help Himself
« Reply #300 on: November 04, 2013, 09:43:00 pm »

I don't get the joke/reference/wordplay of what V's saying on the first panel.
Anyone care to explain?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 04, 2013, 10:18:46 pm »

Anyone care to explain?
"Xykon is feeling chilly today"?

Well the "Xykon" part was in reference to the plan they came up with to have Roy lock down Xykon by spamming spell disruption. The "feeling chilly" part is probably a reference to Miron's scarf.

I'm guessing the rest of the part decided to gank him of their own volition.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 04, 2013, 10:45:35 pm »

To quote Goblins: that psion is grossly overpowered.
Damn straight. Miron barely did anything, and Laurin can do whatever she puts her mind too (pun intended).

What did Laurin do just there? It couldn't have done damage or Belkar would be dead as a doorknob.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 04, 2013, 10:58:51 pm »

Anyone care to explain?
"Xykon is feeling chilly today"?

Well the "Xykon" part was in reference to the plan they came up with to have Roy lock down Xykon by spamming spell disruption. The "feeling chilly" part is probably a reference to Miron's scarf.

I'm guessing the rest of the part decided to gank him of their own volition.

Rich explained it over on the GitP board

Quote from: The Giant
Well, they're right anyway. It's just as simple as, "The highest priority target is the guy with the scarf," said in such a way that Tarquin didn't understand that's what was being said. Belkar later reiterates in the vernacular this exact idea in his panel.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 05, 2013, 04:09:38 am »

To quote Goblins: that psion is grossly overpowered.
Damn straight. Miron barely did anything, and Laurin can do whatever she puts her mind too (pun intended).

What did Laurin do just there? It couldn't have done damage or Belkar would be dead as a doorknob.
And it looks like Durkula wasn't really affected by it either.

I'm kinda surprised Miron survived that. 80 points of damage isn't something you shrug off, plus the Fortitude save against death from massive damage. And it doesn't look like he made a Reflex save, either. Resist Energy/Protection from Energy?
Plot armor.
It would not surprise me to learn that Tarquin had an actual physical set of plot armor made for himself.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the Stick: 928 Go
« Reply #305 on: November 05, 2013, 01:29:59 pm »

My guess would be Mental Disruption (which Durkon would be immune to by virtue of being undead), though there are a few other things it could be.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 05, 2013, 08:05:32 pm »

I hope Durkula beats the crap out of Laurin. He'll probably do something somewhat major in the fight due to being unaffected, unless it has that sudden wear off thing that half the spells in OotS seem to suffer from.
The Powers What Is in this universe probably house-ruled in a "new saving throw every turn" for all spells.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 05, 2013, 10:49:44 pm »

Mental disruption lasts for 1 round, so they get to make a new save every round.

Assuming that it is mental disruption, it could be something that lasts longer then a round.

I really don't know about them actually winning though. Laurin and Tarquin are still a long way from down.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 10, 2013, 05:26:28 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #309 on: November 10, 2013, 05:39:05 pm »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 10, 2013, 05:44:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I can't figure out how Tarquin did that. Only thing I can think of is Cleave, and he'd know that wouldn't do what he needed.

They do have a fourth wall, I think, they're just aware of game mechanics in the same way that we're aware of physics. They aren't aware of an audience, as far as I can tell, although they get close (what with knowing about the cast page, etc.).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 10, 2013, 05:44:47 pm »

Hit Points and the like have no "fourth wall" connotations. They are actual laws of this universe. Asking how many HP someone has isn't any different from asking someone in our world how hungry they are.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 10, 2013, 05:55:51 pm »

Reinforcing my idea that OotS doesn't have any semblance of a fourth wall, aside from a few bits of meta-dust lying on the ground.

Anyways, I feel almost as if there's gonna be some kind of 'enemy mine' situation between the order and Sabine. She's pissed, the order's pissed, and Tarquin is going from genre savvy to desperate.
I'd like that, I would really like that, but It won't happen. She can't use plane shift more then once a day, and it's still the same day as when they went in. If she could have come back by now, she would have. Also calling Tarquin desperate right now is a bit of a stretch, he seems in control of the situation.

Haley is the only one unaccounted for, so I suspect a few arrows will distract Tarquin from murdering Roy. Then, whatever will happen to stop the fight will happen.

Also OotS forums noticed that the two titles of this and the previous comic combined are "Go, Through". Forming a sentence?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 10, 2013, 06:43:54 pm »

Sabine was banished by Holy Word for 24 hours. She can't return yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 10, 2013, 06:53:23 pm »

I don't think anybody is denying that come 24 hours, Sabine will tear the skies asunder and return with all the forces of hell she can command with the sole objective of fucking up Team Tarquin's day, but this particular battle is almost certainly not lasting that long.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 313