Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38

Author Topic: So, erm, GTA5 is OUT  (Read 52631 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, erm, GTA5 is OUT
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2013, 12:00:42 pm »

Got a few hours in last night. It's pretty darned good so far, and I haven't even really gotten in to the meat of the game yet.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2013, 12:26:06 pm »

As GTA junkie I'd get it immeadiately but no console makes Johuotar a very non-GTA, non-happy person. Mayby I'll Try Vice City instead...
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2013, 12:30:10 pm »

Mayby I'll Try Vice City instead...

There is no "try." You play the hell out of Vice City.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2013, 12:49:24 pm »

I bought this game and it has some of the best writing I have ever seen in a computer game. I've laughed more at this than anything else I've played in a long, long time, and the story is pretty engrossing I find.

In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm enjoying this game, the plot, dialogue etc more than the majority of films that have come out in the last 10 years. If this was a movie it would rank very highly on my list; I can name about 4 movies I've liked about the same as this game, nothing much more. It's certainly becoming my favourite GTA.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:58:47 pm by Owlbread »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2013, 01:54:39 pm »

If you can't get GTA V for right now, either because it's too expensive or you only have a PC, I'm sure you can try one of the free alternatives.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2013, 02:17:31 pm »

It's out indeed

...o, wait.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2013, 03:14:17 pm »

The Strangers and Freaks side-mission with Michael where you meet the guy...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2013, 11:39:46 pm »

Put in like 17 hours in the 60 hours after I got it, absolutely great. Other than blowing out an outlet because of the ps3, wii-u, wii, and n64 being plugged in at the same time during the intro, necessitating a complete reorganization of the common room (damn you GTA5!), it's been delightful. Constantly discovering new content and things to do, interesting missions, fun driving, witty banter, it's definitely the best new game I've played on consoles in quite a while.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2013, 11:50:52 pm »

PC configs
Duh. It's built on an engine. Specifically, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_Advanced_Game_Engine and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphoria_(software) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_(software)

All 3 of these support PC. As such, you will find PC config settings in the files.

Similarly, Star Citizen has configs for all sorts of consoles, even Android, as well as configs for DirectX9 and DirectX10. Despite the fact that we aren't using those, nor would they even run due to our requiring DirectX11. That's because we use CryEngine, which is highly multiplatform. The existence of such configs in no way suggests we will be running Star Citizen on a google phone. Just typical engine stuff.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:55:38 pm by alway »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2013, 02:00:36 am »

what if someone makes it work anyway

the possibility is there

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2013, 04:01:51 am »

I still hope it gets a port. Red Dead Redemption's lack of a port was understandable because the executives thought they weren't going to make a profit from a  sequel to an unsuccessful cowboy game.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2013, 04:09:22 am »

If you can't get GTA V for right now, either because it's too expensive or you only have a PC, I'm sure you can try one of the free alternatives.

You forgot to mention the best alternative yet.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2013, 04:14:07 am »

PC configs
Duh. It's built on an engine. Specifically, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_Advanced_Game_Engine and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphoria_(software) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_(software)

All 3 of these support PC. As such, you will find PC config settings in the files.

Similarly, Star Citizen has configs for all sorts of consoles, even Android, as well as configs for DirectX9 and DirectX10. Despite the fact that we aren't using those, nor would they even run due to our requiring DirectX11. That's because we use CryEngine, which is highly multiplatform. The existence of such configs in no way suggests we will be running Star Citizen on a google phone. Just typical engine stuff.
The console versions of GTA IV had no mentions of PC in the config files. RAGE was still being ported on PC then, though.
Some people assume that Rockstar has been working on the PC version simultaneously with the current-gen consoles version, and that it may be released earlier than the usual 6-7 months after console release, like Max Payne 3 (which was released on PC less than a month after consoles).
In the past, Rockstar had to delay the PC launch because of agreements with Sony and Microsoft about promoting their consoles. The next-gen consoles are on the way, so promoting XBOX 360 and PS3 is probably not an issue for R*. Then again, maybe they'll decide to release GTA V on PS4 and XBOX One around Christmas or something and release the PC version 7 months later...

I still hope it gets a port. Red Dead Redemption's lack of a port was understandable because the executives thought they weren't going to make a profit from a  sequel to an unsuccessful cowboy game.
...and (according to shaky unconfirmed rumours) because the RDR's code was very messy.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:19:59 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2013, 04:51:38 am »

PC configs

The console versions of GTA IV had no mentions of PC in the config files. RAGE was still being ported on PC then, though.
Some people assume that Rockstar has been working on the PC version simultaneously with the current-gen consoles version, and that it may be released earlier than the usual 6-7 months after console release, like Max Payne 3 (which was released on PC less than a month after consoles).
In the past, Rockstar had to delay the PC launch because of agreements with Sony and Microsoft about promoting their consoles. The next-gen consoles are on the way, so promoting XBOX 360 and PS3 is probably not an issue for R*. Then again, maybe they'll decide to release GTA V on PS4 and XBOX One around Christmas or something and release the PC version 7 months later...

...and (according to shaky unconfirmed rumours) because the RDR's code was very messy.

I can agree with the idea that the code was messy. Some of the bugs I've seen for Red Dead Redemption look like mis-ordered resources. The mixed up animations is the one I remember most. Though... this is my opinion with no knowledge of programming at all.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2013, 06:24:37 am »

I find it sad that The Last of Us was trashed so badly on here for being a "generic wallhumping console cover shooter" whilst yet another GTA game comes out-- only on console as of yet-- and not a bad word is said about it. :-\ Next there'll be a Call of Duty thread on here and y'all will be spouting phrases like "360 no-scoping" and "ermagerd campers".

That last bit's not entirely serious. I hope.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38