Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38

Author Topic: So, erm, GTA5 is OUT  (Read 52626 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, erm, GTA5 is OUT
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2013, 10:37:51 am »

I know. But that's not a good thing.

Definitely isn't... but at least they aren't half-arsing the port.

At least it isn't the worst case scenario, it is just the bad scenario :P

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2013, 11:48:22 am »

Developing for PC is hugely expensive thanks to the near unlimited hardware combinations while consoles usually don't have many variations in between them. There are a couple of different X360's for example, but nowhere near as many as what is possible with PC.
By releasing console first and then start working on PC, they've given themselves a huge income to be able to create a stable PC version. At least, that's the way I look at it.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2013, 11:50:51 am »

People buy consoles to play the game because there is no pc version. Especially now when the new console generation is coming its important to get some game that makes people buy them.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2013, 12:04:10 pm »

Is it coming to the PC? Y/N

Y = Cool, I'll wait for it.

N = Fuck you, (game developer). (Pretty much only when the game is as big of a deal as this is.)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2013, 12:12:11 pm »

I've been watching VGA's playthrough of this and it looks pretty fun. Only thing that really turns me off so far is the..... uhmm... 'urban' crap that I didn't really like SA for. It does seem they make it so over-the-top that it's funny, and if you don't want it you can switch to another character (aside form story missions and such). Franklin does seem to be the most sane out of the other two though, hehehe.

EDIT: Oh, another thing companies don't like PC for is mouse and keyboard stuff, but they don't realize that you can plug game controllers into PC. For whatever reason they overlook this kinda thing. I think it's great that this school of thought is starting to be buried. Once/if I get GTA5 on PC I'm probably going to play with a controller. Yeah the aiming will suck, but the game seems to be forgiving enough of that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:15:19 pm by OzyTheSage »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2013, 02:39:37 pm »

Ok, so I only work and play GTA V now. About 12 hours of each a day. Very little sleep. No eating. I think my wife has been home but I am not sure.

I cannot overstate this......it is the best console game I have ever played and it's in the top 10 games I have played in any format and probably in the top 5. It makes it on my desert island game list with Dwarf Fortress. I have about 400 unanswered emails and I need to clean myself and my home. But I can't because the game beckons.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2013, 02:44:53 pm »

:o

So what is it about these "types" of games that draws people so much? I tried Saint's Row: the Third and got bored. You drive around, shoot things, drive around some more, shoot things some more... lots of little unlockables that feel like a chore to unlock. I feel like most of the GTAs I've played were the same. I played GTA 1 and 2, and the first one in 3d as well.

I mean, I too want not to notice my wife and feel the need to clean myself!

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2013, 02:56:22 pm »

For Saints Row, it's primarily the humor. It's juvenile, yes, but it's just so damned ridiculous.

I don't really know about GTA, though. Maybe it's a way to drive fast cars and commit crimes and shoot people, but without actually doing those things?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2013, 02:57:47 pm »

I'd say it's the sheer variety of things to do, solid and FUN gameplay and mechanics, and actually having a good storyline with varied and entertaining story missions.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2013, 03:21:07 pm »

and the bowling, definitely the bowling.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2013, 03:23:46 pm »

So I just dropped $32k on a car I bought online, but it hasn't turned up in any of my garages despite getting the email confirming it's delivery. What gives?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2013, 03:32:55 pm »

So I just dropped $32k on a car I bought online, but it hasn't turned up in any of my garages despite getting the email confirming it's delivery. What gives?

didnt know you could buy cars online! my guess is they've accuretly modeled online scams, congratulations!

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2013, 03:44:27 pm »

I wanted to get a confederate flag paint job for my car but it seems like all I can get for it are some colour changes.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2013, 04:13:46 pm »

:o

So what is it about these "types" of games that draws people so much? I tried Saint's Row: the Third and got bored. You drive around, shoot things, drive around some more, shoot things some more... lots of little unlockables that feel like a chore to unlock. I feel like most of the GTAs I've played were the same. I played GTA 1 and 2, and the first one in 3d as well.

I mean, I too want not to notice my wife and feel the need to clean myself!
S'probably because SR3 was bad.

The appeal for me is the open-world, personally.  Even though all it really works as is a tedious thing to drive through between missions, I reeeally like that it's an open sorta playground you can do whatever in, as opposed to just being all level-based and stuff.

Also, for what it's worth, I hated GTA:SA.  The sounds the guns made were boring and terrible.  GTA 4 was pretty much the same, except everything was now also slow.  Guns had low rates of fire, moving around on foot felt super slow, even when you were sprinting, and cars accelerated horribly sluggishly.

GTA 5 feels sooo much better.  I can blaze through the micro-uzi's magazine in like, a second, and cars feel so much faster now, but retain the sorta-difficult, squirrely handling that I recall there was in 4.  It was cool, but mixed with how long it took to get moving again after losing control in that, it was also frustrating.  That you can get going so much faster makes it much more fun in 5 - that, and delightful effects like visible damage to your car when you hit shit - body crumpling, paint coming off in huge tears and scrapes - and dirt spraying errywhere if you're on, uhhh, dirt, and getting your car filthy.  Neat, immersiony things like that.

Also yes.  The story and writing are pretty awesome too.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2013, 05:01:12 pm »

The only problem I have is that it feels way shorter than IV. I checked an it does have a few less main missions, although a crapton more side missions. (It's also not really clear on which are side missions and which are main, as both use the Letter icon on the map, the only indication is if you're watching the 100% list) However, since the missions don't suck like in IV (I swear damn near every mission in IV was Boss: "Go kill this guy", Niko: "I don't want to kill them" Boss "I'll pay you" Niko "Well ok then". Every fucking missions.) you'll blaze through a ton of them each session without the urge to fuck around instead. Which is a shame, because the fucking around is pretty amazing this time around too. Except Yoga, fuck Yoga. That made my hands hurt.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38