Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84650 times)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [3/9/2015 - Launching March 27th!]
« Reply #375 on: March 26, 2015, 01:15:10 pm »

Earlier in the game's life it was Hydroconductors that doubled pressure.  Now it's Corinium, yes.

Aluminum adds 1 max pressure and gives 1 labor pressure - effectively it's free to import.

I'm fairly sure Aluminum is 1 max pressure and 6 labor pressure, actually. Which makes it a real nice level 0 resource; iron is only like 2-4 labor pressure (+ the bonus to support ship build speed).

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 26, 2015, 01:18:19 pm »

Sure enough, it is.  That must've changed when Lucas redid the L0s - must've missed that change.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 27, 2015, 08:03:47 pm »

Game is officially out!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [3/27/2015 - Launch!]
« Reply #378 on: March 27, 2015, 08:29:20 pm »

Now that the game is out, any plans for mac support???
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 27, 2015, 08:36:15 pm »

Still no plans.  We still have a mac and a broken mac build.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 27, 2015, 08:40:30 pm »

Still no plans.  We still have a mac and a broken mac build.

Sounds like progress!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #381 on: April 01, 2015, 04:18:25 pm »

Had a small update when I got home. What was that about? Nothing new posted today

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 01, 2015, 04:22:14 pm »

Full patch notes available here:  http://steamcommunity.com/app/282590/discussions/1/611702631209698369/

Also, Star Ruler 2 is now available for purchase on GOG.com.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #383 on: April 01, 2015, 04:26:24 pm »

Prepping for release on Facebook with our Macromedia Shockwave port.
giggle

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #384 on: April 02, 2015, 01:09:11 pm »

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of activity here. The game is quite a bit of fun. I still find ship design incredibly daunting and... well honestly I prefer Star Ruler 1's system over the hex system.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [4/2/2015 - Now available on GOG!]
« Reply #385 on: April 02, 2015, 02:37:17 pm »

Checking on gog, I'm actually tempted to buy it half just because of how small it is. That filesize is really impressive to me, in this day and age. Also have liked what I've seen from LPs and such, but dat mere half-gig...

Still a lil' more than my funds can handle, though. Probably more than the computer can handle, too, but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 02, 2015, 03:30:18 pm »

I played this quite a bit in the last few days, and I'm not sure if I like it or not.

I like the fact that we can build on planets, but not the fact that buildings are HUGE. There are also civilian buildings that are 1 square but you don't build them directly.

Many game mechanics feel very abstract, like the planet levels. It's annoying that we can't stockpile money and every 3 min, any extra is turned into a boost for another resource.

When I first started playing Terrakin (human), I found it discouraging how much food and water was needed to get some use out of my planets, and how many planets were needed to get a higher level one. Since it's like a pyramid, the last tiers can be really hard to scrape together, with how rare lvl2 resources are.

Then I started playing Mono, and also I noticed that it was possible to "terraform" planets to turn their resource into a generic lvl1 of my choosing.

Let me tell you, the Mono race is the best by far, in my opinion. It doesn't need any water and food, so levelling up planets is WAY easier. Also you start with unobtainium on your first world, and you can turn that into any resource you own, so you can colonize a world with lvl3 resource, morph your unobtainium into that, then transfer the population back. Oh yeah that's another great feature of Mono, you can transfer population from planet to planet instantly, and that's the only thing you'll ever use FTL for. Also, since Mono population generates labor, it's really fast to build all sorts of things once you get the ball rolling. Their weakest point is that they need to build population for §150k a pop and increasing labor cost. However, if you terraform all those useless food and water planets into textile planets, you can get a lot of money. One thing I noticed was that the buildings have really big maintenance costs, so if you want money, build as little as possible.

For labor, research can make factories really productive, but I found that simply massing population is the best way to have lots of labor early on, seeing how the population cap isn't really limiting for Mono.

Now, I have to say, even though I enjoyed the game for a few days, in the end it plays and feels very similar to other games in the genre. If you're looking for a breath of fresh air, you'll find this one a bit stale, and I'm not sure there's a lot of replayability.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 02, 2015, 08:55:02 pm »

I'm not buying it, since it seems to have lost much off what made Star Ruler 1 special and went for a more casual/easy style, lossing some of its depth.

But hey, SR1 was made even more awesome by mods - maybe SR2 will follow and be adjusted, we'll see.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2015, 01:14:59 pm »

Their weakest point is that they need to build population for §150k a pop and increasing labor cost. However, if you terraform all those useless food and water planets into textile planets, you can get a lot of money.
I love the concept of the Mono, but robots terraforming tons of textiles led to a bit of fridge logic for me; what are they doing with all those fabrics?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #389 on: April 03, 2015, 01:16:21 pm »

Their weakest point is that they need to build population for §150k a pop and increasing labor cost. However, if you terraform all those useless food and water planets into textile planets, you can get a lot of money.
I love the concept of the Mono, but robots terraforming tons of textiles led to a bit of fridge logic for me; what are they doing with all those fabrics?
Maybe they like to wear clothing? Maybe they dress up their pet cats? Who cares. They're paying a mint for them!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 40