Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84631 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [4/2/2015 - Now available on GOG!]
« Reply #390 on: April 03, 2015, 02:05:40 pm »

Their weakest point is that they need to build population for §150k a pop and increasing labor cost. However, if you terraform all those useless food and water planets into textile planets, you can get a lot of money.
I love the concept of the Mono, but robots terraforming tons of textiles led to a bit of fridge logic for me; what are they doing with all those fabrics?
Maybe they like to wear clothing? Maybe they dress up their pet cats? Who cares. They're paying a mint for them!

They want to be treated as real people, so of course clothing.

Also waiting to see if mods make the game better.... like SR1.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 03, 2015, 03:27:22 pm »

FASHION: ACHIEVED.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #392 on: April 03, 2015, 03:28:12 pm »

Daww... mecha-shuttlecock with a wittle hat

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 03, 2015, 03:45:17 pm »

But more realistically:

Taking inspiration from their own design/electronics and making that into fashion - another form of worship toward their Creator.  Probably would look really weird and oddly 'primitive' as far as fashion goes - possibly asymmetrical as well.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 03:48:03 pm by Firgof Umbra »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #394 on: April 03, 2015, 03:48:36 pm »

Better question, why do robots pay for medicine?

Hmm? HMM?

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 03, 2015, 03:52:39 pm »

Well, all medicine is relative to the intended target right?  Probably stuff like administered nanites, basic metals, de-rusting agents, silicon-bonding agents, and neutronium cold welds.  Possibly some corrosives as well for the heavier jobs.  They do have some internal self-repair mechanisms as well, so they're probably also producing a small volume of that at a high premium - it's harder to make than do spot repairs/grafts/donations after all. (Analogous to growing and grafting on some custom-fit skin to fit over a wound rather than just sewing it shut)

They're a very maintenance and labor heavy race after all.

Now why is their Medicine 'Medicine' for other races?  That requires a little more imagination.  If you like, you can envision it as a Bacta-like bonding agent / medi-gel stuff or perhaps a substance similar to Unobtainium that morphs on contact with other things and attempts to continues the pattern (like Photoshop's Content Aware brush).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 03:56:42 pm by Firgof Umbra »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 03, 2015, 04:26:17 pm »

I'm not buying it, since it seems to have lost much off what made Star Ruler 1 special and went for a more casual/easy style, lossing some of its depth.

But hey, SR1 was made even more awesome by mods - maybe SR2 will follow and be adjusted, we'll see.

this, after reading a bit in the steam forums it seems the game is quite watered down. and many people were expecting the game to not only develop new features (like the current ones it has) but also improve around the strong points that SR1 had.

the devs instead seem to have just redeveloped the wheel alltogether, just with more stunning visuals and well, some dumbed down features.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 03, 2015, 04:34:24 pm »

Dunno why people keep saying it's watered/dumbed down.  I'd say it's smarter and deeper - it just requires less APM/omnipresence/omnipotence to manage.

We have Power, it just doesn't blow up your ship due to bugs - and it's less fiddly.  We have Fuel/Ammo - it's just abstracted to a single resource and you don't have to deal with trading/fueling tankers/haulers to get it back (which didn't really work in the first one either).  Ships still use fuel/ammo (supplies) in combat/sieges, still need to go restock when they run low, et cetera.  They can fire with the stat reaches 0, but at 25% strength of their usual strength and at that point can't siege planets.  Fuel was never much of an issue in SR1 anyway - you just give your ships some 15 minutes of fuel and you're golden.  By the time that 15 minutes arrived, you no longer cared about that generation of ships anyway due to how research worked.

We have less subsystems - but more variety in the subsystems themselves and what roles they're for.  (Like engines - in SR1 they just gave you accel; in SR2 they give you accel and turning speed - and even move completely differently in the case of Gravitons)

Diplomacy is unquestionably deeper.  Research is unquestionably deeper.  Planet management is easier, Resources are much more interesting and numerous (8 resources versus... I think 70ish?) and less liable to just suddenly break down later into the game and you can actually know what you're producing, where it's being produced, and why.  Map types are also more interesting, planets and planet types are more varied, the AI difficulties more varied, and the races better in every respect (except perhaps in regards to customization I suppose; major options are the only ones available).  The game runs better; the bullets are physically simulated - things hit what they hit and don't hit what they don't rather than the 'magic' system in SR1 which determined whether a shot hit or missed before the projectile was actually fired.  Civilian traffic is more beefed up, asteroid mining is more important, and we even have better megaconstructions.  Even the ship behaviors are at least twice as deep than they ever were in SR1 - and about as much easier to work with and adjust on the fly.  The AIs tell you what they feel about you - they don't make incessant demands for billions of every resource or they'll declare war.

If anything, the game is more full than it ever was.  It's just a little less tinkery/breakable because we wanted it to be balanced.  We don't have the Quantum Compressor/Boarding Parties/Reverse Inductor/Mind Sapper, true, but is that really all it takes for the game to be 'watered down'?  Not every planet can become a super-planet - but in exchange you gain reasons to actually attack or defend this planet or that planet.  Planets now require resources to upgrade - but they required resources to upgrade before in the form of Food, Metals, Luxury Goods, and so forth.  Some buildings no longer upgrade or may be built by the player (though are still produced by civilians), sure, but in exchange you no longer get runaway economies which are literally unbeatable.

I just don't get the argument.  "Watered down" to me would be like 'you can now only have flagships, and you can only ever have 3 of them; you research a thing in Research to gain up to 2 more' or 'the economy is entirely abstracted; no buildings, no population - you research a thing in Research and your planets just 'get better' ' or 'Diplomacy is now just a trade 1000 Generic Resources button and a declare war/propose peace button'.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:30:43 pm by Firgof Umbra »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 03, 2015, 05:24:25 pm »

FASHION: ACHIEVED.

We love you, you know. Or at least I do. In a totally not creepy way, I mean.

We don't have the Quantum Compressor/Boarding Parties/Reverse Inductor/Mind Sapper, true, but is that really all it takes for the game to be 'watered down'?
After a few minutes of thought: Yes, at least initial appearance-wise. SR1 was the first RTS game I've played with such detailed ship customization. Regardless of how unwieldy or questionably effective my super-planet-sized carriers with vast locust-swarms of repair-beam-carrying fighters were, they were possible. Anything less than that is bound to feel .. less.

It's a fun game! It's less of a chore to manage a bigger empire. Snowballing doesn't seem to be nearly as bad. The diplomacy cards are interesting. It's much more stable. It just misses SR1's spark of "Awesome, a game that lets me build a titanic carrier that carries battleships that can make other ships."

Perhaps a few more options for support craft control would slightly help with the watered down feeling, if they haven't already been added (I haven't played in a few versions, since I finally broke down and bought Starcraft II)? Set support launch range/recall/attack target across system/patrol/raid civvies in-system, that sort of thing. Something to micromanage, instead of fleets feeling like big blocks of HP and DPS.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2015, 05:32:38 pm »

I have yet to really play SR2 so I won't comment on any any comparison between this and the original, however I will say this: Aside from some bugs and lack-of-depth in diplomacy and interaction, I loved SR1 how it was. The only thing I was really looking for in SR2 was a slower pace.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 03, 2015, 06:03:08 pm »

... wasn't SR1 already like megalithic slow? Or could be with trivial in-game option shifts. I remember it taking quite a while to really do much just on the normal settings -- probably at least in part to the machine I was playing it on not really being able to keep up with the game, but still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 03, 2015, 06:19:12 pm »

gonna put more context into it.

1. the diplomacy system is incredible, im not gonna bash it, it looks really interesting and more dinamic than on the first game

2. the problem of the new economy system is its lack of logic in some areas, and its something that IMO is present in both games,in SR1 not all planets were designed to become jack of all trades, some planets had better resource amounts or had better features for certain types of cities and it was interesting, however, there was  a lack of actual trade because all the planets could in theory grow the same facilites alltogether, so in that regard SR1 suffered from lack of complexity in its economy. SR2 does the complete opposite, instead of improving the bases of SR1 it takes out the planet uniformity and opts for a system focused in different types of resources, leading to strange cases where for example, from both habitable planets, there's one which exports only fruit, and another that exports water, ironically with both planets being of the same category. yeah, some planets would have a requirement of certain resources (gas planets would need to compensate in terms of not having soil at all, barren planets being forge/mine worlds with a strong dependance in stuff like water or food).

a middle ground between SR1 and SR2 would have been better in all aspects, not all planets would be fit to construct certains facilities and would require trading between them, but they should be able to produce certain common stuff without any issue, and each planet should have different types of resources avaliable. something akin the EVE Online's planetary interaction would have been an interesting approach. allowing for example to have habitable worlds that are better suited for the production of food, adapting to focus in certain products like apples, or gas giants that are stripped from their atmospheric components for water, oxygen and the like.

3. the tech system has the same splitted feature, the SR1 tech tree while limited was interesting in which you had to invest research on certain connections between certain fields to open others, the downside was the exponential increase of the research required for lvling in order to get to certain technologies, specially those endgame oriented like ringworlds or planet thrusters. SR2 seems to avert this in the way that it produces research over time and its not spent at random but instead each technology has a cost, i like the approach this time, but it could improve in terms of the bonuses, as it seems you can only research a tech once, the first game allowed you to research a field indefinitelly and improve all aspects of the tech. again, in this case a middle ground between the two would have been better. have a tree similar to SR1 with each tech branching into the individual developments and allow players to invest indefenitely their tech points into specific technologies, not have a single bonus once reached certain tech.

4. the building system is a middle ground too. i didnt like the approach of SR1 with the +/- scaling and the limited space to design your ship, however, i liked its focus in the balance between the keypoints of a ship (like its bridge, powersource, ammo localization, etc) and the many different modules i could put on my ships. the hexbased system of SR2 looks like the freedom i was looking for in terms of the ship's physical design, but it could have kept the modules of the first game. in fact, it could have given more emphasis into how do you worked the internals of the ship instead of just placing moduels in a grid, they skipped the oportunity to design a system where one had to actually care where do you were putting stuff like the engine, the crew quarters or other module (kinda like Wayward Terran Frontier but you could fully design bot the ship's mesh and its internal composition)

oh and one point, if you're talking about engines in regards to the ship's thrusters, each engine in SR1 had different roles, not just plain acceleration, one engine was better for reaching top speed, the other was better for strafing/changing direction quickly, and the other was fuel efficient but limited in output, there was other but i dont remember.

5. yeah it seems ship have better orders now and the physically simulated ammo is a plus, i dont know about the centralized ammo/fuel stuff but i like it as an empire wide solution which was something needed in SR1, still having an improvement in regards to ammo/fuel consumption for ships in outer space would have served to improve the popularity of support vessels (something akin to Rise of Nations supply units would have been a good addition).

6. i dont see many details regarding how FTL is handled, guess its the same like ammo and energy in regards to gameplay (empire wide collected and is consumed by every entity same way fuel is used) i dont see the problem with that i guess.

7. the artifact system is a plus in the game

8. planet lvls are a good adition but with the economy system it has i dont see the use for it, maybe if it was tied to terraforming (barren planets are lvl 0 and you invest to make it habitable, each progression into that would increase its lvl and would allow for producing certain products more easily, it would be expensive though).

10. i understand the need to put specially gameplay mechanics into different races but part of the fun of SR1 was designing your own, this could have been improved, like making players choose certain mechanics for the race they wanted to have, in fact, many of the things the different races do could have been added via the tech tree or something similar. and would take out the need to obligue players into playing certain factions for certain gameplay stuff. they could just make a race with X and Y attributes on its culture and select the key mechanics they wanted. stuff like motherships and biotech could be part of the tech tree TBH, it didnt need to be part of a single race.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #402 on: April 08, 2015, 04:00:37 pm »

Guess who just built a ringworld around the black hole at the center of the galaxy?

<--- This guy.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 12, 2015, 08:20:50 pm »

Played about 9 hours of this. First 3 was mainly me trying to figure out the systems and restarting constantly.

With my first serious game it was quite fun. I had a long and painful war with my neighbour. After this brutal war where we had a stalemate for years until I managed to trap his rampaging armadas in an ion-cannon-led encirclement. Then I could force him to capitulate. It felt great.

After that the game was basically over though, as I was now the most powerful force in the universe without any comparison and nobody dared to fight me. Got kinda boring actually. I was hoping they'd try to fight back as I constantly stole land with annexation but they didn't. I'll try again with higher difficulty settings to see if they're more eager to fight me like they did at the start.

Mmm... I like this far more than SR1. I really like the diplomacy. I like the more macro approach to stuff. I'm not a fan of the economy thing where each planet can only export one single thing though. I can see why it was done, but it doesn't feel particularly appropriate for this kind of game. Nevertheless it does force engagements and prevent you from turtling too much since you constantly need to expand. Still don't like it though.

The ship designing system is kinda bleh too. Not to mention I don't like how every ship looks the same.

I'll definitely play more of it though. It's quite engaging, at least before you snowball.

Lossmar

• Bay Watcher
  • Humanity Fuck Yeah !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 13, 2015, 12:07:17 pm »

I have a really mixed feelings about SR2..

Pros =
- scope of the game ( ships bigger than planets, multiple galaxies etc. )
- modability
- FTL systems I FUCKING LOVE THEM
- nice ships/battle graphics
- its a space 4x and i love those games

Cons =
- shitload of absurd abstract mechanics ( FTL storage, flagships system, one resource per planet, diplo/Galactic senate cards etc )
- underwhelming science system ( many research projects are flat bonuses like "XX cash on hand" )
- THOSE FUCKING CARDS ... naming your systems/ships requires some retarded card appearing at random and it gives a magical bonus for the renamed thing -___-
- absolute shit tier UI graphics .. it looks like some amateur Facebook f2p thing, it miles under game like Stardrive, Aurora or first Star Ruler
- super speedy colonization and expansion ( unstable equilibrium trope : The Game http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnstableEquilibrium  ), i hate when i have 50 planets after 25 minutes of playing
- feels barebones as hell , two shipsets, 5 races, small amount of racial/goverment/social traits...

It hard to accurately judge this game for me because im a HUGE Aurora fan with its slow colonization, micromanagement and autistic level of detail.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:10:01 pm by Lossmar »
How to cure gaming industry in couple easy steps :
1. Stop preordering games.
2. Stop hyping games that have nothing to show except pre-rendered hype trailer.
3. Always distrust corporations.
4. Always rage at criminal DLC , microtransactions, pre-order bonuses and other semi legal practices.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40