Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40

Author Topic: Star Ruler 2 [7/24/2018 - Now Open Source!]  (Read 84665 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ruler 2 [4/2/2015 - Now available on GOG!]
« Reply #420 on: April 15, 2015, 12:07:53 pm »

My current support ship is a size 1 rocket pod with nothing but a rocket launcher, command, and engines. They do so much damage, and being size one you get so many of them. Since ships can't multitarget they alpha-strike the size 1 rocket pods one at a time which takes forever and by then I've sandblasted them to death with tiny missiles.

The flagship is just a big warehouse in space filled with missiles.
That sounds very amusing.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #421 on: April 15, 2015, 12:17:00 pm »

My current support ship is a size 1 rocket pod with nothing but a rocket launcher, command, and engines. They do so much damage, and being size one you get so many of them. Since ships can't multitarget they alpha-strike the size 1 rocket pods one at a time which takes forever and by then I've sandblasted them to death with tiny missiles.

The flagship is just a big warehouse in space filled with missiles.
That sounds very amusing.
I like to imagine that each one is just a guy in a barely-big-enough-to-fit cockpit riding on top of a missile launcher the size of a small truck, and the flagship is filled with bored filing clerks who keep track of missile shipments to reload each pod.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 15, 2015, 12:33:56 pm »

Considering that the game can handle over 14,000 ships in combat, the second one was probably either a random crash or your system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChMEMQxQLw

Well, put it this way. The ship I had made had 2.1 million support capacity. On a second look, the default heavy gunship has 8 support requirement. That's 262,500 ships spewing out at a few hundred ships every second.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #423 on: April 15, 2015, 12:36:29 pm »

Considering that the game can handle over 14,000 ships in combat, the second one was probably either a random crash or your system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChMEMQxQLw

Well, put it this way. The ship I had made had 2.1 million support capacity. On a second look, the default heavy gunship has 8 support requirement. That's 262,500 ships spewing out at a few hundred ships every second.
My rocket pods are 1:1 for support so it would be 2.1 million rocket pods following your ship around firing 2.1 million missiles per salvo....

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 15, 2015, 12:39:35 pm »

How does one end up even getting rocket pods enabled for support ship use? I was faffing about in the ship designer and still only had the option for lasers, muons, rails and missiles.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #425 on: April 15, 2015, 12:40:58 pm »

How does one end up even getting rocket pods enabled for support ship use? I was faffing about in the ship designer and still only had the option for lasers, muons, rails and missiles.
I just call them that. The weapon I use is the standard missile launcher or whatever support ships have.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 15, 2015, 02:44:30 pm »

So at current projections, we'll have enough money to make our planned expansion - and then we'll have to close down the studio as it'll just be too risky to pursue another project. That projection lands us some time in October-December we think. If you like the game, let folks know: write some reviews on Steam/GOG/GamersGate, shoot e-mails to your favorite news sources and let's players!  Your opinions matter!

Show folks there is room in the 4x corner for a game that dares to break away from the MoO/Civ formula.

In upcoming stuffs for the game: We're hoping to launch an expansion and a free DLC later this year even if the game continues its current sales trend.  Work on the next free patch continues and we're expecting to do an overhaul of the sounds, making flagship weapons fire more divisible from support weapons fire, and a potential reiteration on reactive armor amongst other changes.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #427 on: April 15, 2015, 03:15:24 pm »

So at current projections, we'll have enough money to make our planned expansion - and then we'll have to close down the studio as it'll just be too risky to pursue another project. That projection lands us some time in October-December we think. If you like the game, let folks know: write some reviews on Steam/GOG/GamersGate, shoot e-mails to your favorite news sources and let's players!  Your opinions matter!

Show folks there is room in the 4x corner for a game that dares to break away from the MoO/Civ formula.

In upcoming stuffs for the game: We're hoping to launch an expansion and a free DLC later this year even if the game continues its current sales trend.  Work on the next free patch continues and we're expecting to do an overhaul of the sounds, making flagship weapons fire more divisible from support weapons fire, and a potential reiteration on reactive armor amongst other changes.
Hate to hear that. The game has some very neat innovations which I haven't seen before in other games. SR2 is by no means the perfect game but it is a lot of fun.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 16, 2015, 11:41:22 am »

Bollocks.

I'm really sorry to hear that. There really aren't many innovators in this genre, this is a sad day for indie gaming.

That said, there are loads of space game competing in your same genre right now.

I really hope you can instead pivot and kick start to bring your ideas on diplomacy and high level strategy in new dresses.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #429 on: April 16, 2015, 12:02:18 pm »

Kinda makes me worry. I've been outlining my own game which would fall into a very similar genre, though it's more focused on the economics and politics regarding the colonization of space.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 16, 2015, 01:07:34 pm »

honestly last year saw a resurgence of crappy 4x, so signal to noise is pretty low, so to say.

Firgof Umbra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 16, 2015, 01:12:18 pm »

Speaking from experience, the market was entirely different for 4X games when SR1 came out as to where it is when SR2 came out.

It is suddenly incredibly difficult to get eyeballs on your product and people are much more picky about the product you put out.

That and there's just this unknowable 'miasma' which permeates everywhere with apathy.  I think it's just due to the sheer amount of games being put out every day/week/month.

That, and "StarDrive" didn't exist when we launched SR1.  "StarDrive 2" didn't exist for most of the time we were working on SR2 even.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 18, 2015, 04:43:16 pm »

there were many dodgy early access titles on steam i think broke the market.  SR2 did great and has successfully ocmpleted and is palyable but its rare.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 19, 2015, 01:23:49 pm »

That and there's just this unknowable 'miasma' which permeates everywhere with apathy.  I think it's just due to the sheer amount of games being put out every day/week/month.

totally agree, I was a fervent follower of the indie scene, played everything from http://experimentalgameplay.com/ followed every igf and played most of them as well and bough them..

but now everyone jumped into the indie gaming industry following the mythical pot of gold and there are gaming spawning from everywhere, most of the time being just clones (or minor iterative improvement) on existing concepts, say, timber and stone, may be wonderful, but is something seen and seen again by this point and while it interest me and may be awesome I just cannot bring myself to discover what the heck is it all about.

it's really hard to find new games now and I am not getting paid to review everyone to past the sturgeon filter, so meh. I'm guilty of that apathy.

we'd need a bay 12 curator on steam for promising indies, the forumites around here are pretty good at filtering internet.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 21, 2015, 03:28:21 pm »

Well that sucks.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 40