Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together [OOC thread]  (Read 20278 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together [OOC thread]
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2013, 09:07:08 pm »

Okay! I think I've got the waitlist squared away, so if you think you should be there and you aren't, you should poke me about it. I... was pretty sure I wanted to do something else, but I don't remember what that was, oh right I put a link to the game thread in the OP. There we go. Just in case anyone missed it in the OP, you've got three days to write up your turn. Turn order doesn't matter for the First Pass, so fire away!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2013, 10:17:53 pm »

I plead everyone refrain from being over the top. Please. I envisage something plausible IRL, similar to a more magical version of Verduria, with more humans and tech (hopefully in a later age), and not invoking godwin's law in the first stage.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2013, 11:05:41 pm »

@ mcclay and the First Conclave of Halron; do you intend that to be a Period, or an Event?

As described, it sounds like an Event (much like the Battle of the Five Armies is a big Event with much buildup and many consequences within The Hobbit, itself a Period in the broader Tolkienverse.) It's a specific thing that happens during a broader period of time. As an Event, you'd be placing this chronologically within the Creation Period, while the world is being forged (presumably shortly after humans are created.) If you actually wanted a Period, you'd want to be describing a broader sweep of time than a single occurrence; for example, the Conclave you describe might be an Event (or two) near the beginning of a Unification Period where humankind rises to dominance in the world, or something, and that Period would be placed sometime after Creation but before the Twilight. If that's the case, you should describe that Period first, and then add Events on a later turn. Either way you want to do it is fine, I just want to make sure your intention matches up with your action.

@ evilcherry, I'd ask you not to infer unexplored Events ahead of time. Yes, it seems very likely that more humans and tribes must be created sometime between the First Man and the Conclave, but the implication is strong enough it doesn't need to be said out loud. Explicitly inferring an Event contaminates the thinking of the other players, who might come up with something different than what you're thinking of (in either what happens or how it happens) and they shouldn't feel restricted from acting on it. After all, the whole point of worldbuilding as a group is letting other people surprise you with how they think about things! If somebody misses a detail and accidentally breaks continuity, we can address it after the fact.

Once Chink and IamanElfCollaberator get something up, we'll be through the First Pass and on to the meat of the game.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2013, 11:31:14 pm »

Aight, I edited it. I'll write up the Period of 5 Kings sometime later.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 12:26:55 am »

@ mcclay and the First Conclave of Halron; do you intend that to be a Period, or an Event?

As described, it sounds like an Event (much like the Battle of the Five Armies is a big Event with much buildup and many consequences within The Hobbit, itself a Period in the broader Tolkienverse.) It's a specific thing that happens during a broader period of time. As an Event, you'd be placing this chronologically within the Creation Period, while the world is being forged (presumably shortly after humans are created.) If you actually wanted a Period, you'd want to be describing a broader sweep of time than a single occurrence; for example, the Conclave you describe might be an Event (or two) near the beginning of a Unification Period where humankind rises to dominance in the world, or something, and that Period would be placed sometime after Creation but before the Twilight. If that's the case, you should describe that Period first, and then add Events on a later turn. Either way you want to do it is fine, I just want to make sure your intention matches up with your action.

@ evilcherry, I'd ask you not to infer unexplored Events ahead of time. Yes, it seems very likely that more humans and tribes must be created sometime between the First Man and the Conclave, but the implication is strong enough it doesn't need to be said out loud. Explicitly inferring an Event contaminates the thinking of the other players, who might come up with something different than what you're thinking of (in either what happens or how it happens) and they shouldn't feel restricted from acting on it. After all, the whole point of worldbuilding as a group is letting other people surprise you with how they think about things! If somebody misses a detail and accidentally breaks continuity, we can address it after the fact.

Once Chink and IamanElfCollaberator get something up, we'll be through the First Pass and on to the meat of the game.
Nah, Fine.

(that was a direct response to godwin's law being invoked in day one.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:47:20 am by evilcherry »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2013, 09:47:36 am »

((I go now, right))

Event:
The First Conclave of Halron:
The tribes of man first meet in the plain of Halron. They make an alliance against the other races who had been terrorizing them since the beginning of time. The fight off an invasion of elves, dwarves and orcs and found their first city; Halrak.

Takes place after the creation of the blue moon.
Takes place at the beginning of the Period of 5 Kings

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. You can create an Event OR a Period, and Events have to fit within existing Periods (otherwise you essentially create two things for the price of one.) Thus, you can create the Period of 5 Kings (and describe what it's all about) or you can create the First Conclave of Halron (which must occur in either Creation or Twilight, the only two Periods to exist right now.) You can only create two nested things if you're the acting Lens (but there is no Lens for the First Pass.)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2013, 11:39:13 am »

((I go now, right))

Event:
The First Conclave of Halron:
The tribes of man first meet in the plain of Halron. They make an alliance against the other races who had been terrorizing them since the beginning of time. The fight off an invasion of elves, dwarves and orcs and found their first city; Halrak.

Takes place after the creation of the blue moon.
Takes place at the beginning of the Period of 5 Kings

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. You can create an Event OR a Period, and Events have to fit within existing Periods (otherwise you essentially create two things for the price of one.) Thus, you can create the Period of 5 Kings (and describe what it's all about) or you can create the First Conclave of Halron (which must occur in either Creation or Twilight, the only two Periods to exist right now.) You can only create two nested things if you're the acting Lens (but there is no Lens for the First Pass.)
I guess we just let it pass this time. More framework!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2013, 08:52:14 am »

I dun wanna bump the IC thread so I bump the OOC thread. How are we going to proceed from here?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2013, 03:53:34 pm »

Now, we arrive at the heart of the game, and start the first round.

We'll each be taking turns making history, one player following another. The first player in each round is the Lens, and picks the Focus of the round. While each player may make one Period, Event, or Scene, the Lens may make two nested bits of history (a linked Period and Event, or a linked Event and Scene.) The Lens also finishes the round, and the next player in line becomes the new Lens.

Since I'm the first player, I'll be the Lens for the first round. For a Focus, I choose Humanity. Thus, everything we create on this pass must relate to Humans in some way, whether it's specifically human history, history about how the gods or other races deal with humans, or the broader impact of human activities.

The turn order for the first round looks like this:

monk12
monk12
mcclay
kj1225
Chink
IamanElfCollaberator
evilcherry
monk12
monk12

For my first turn, I created a linked Event and Scene- I put the Event in the second Period, before the Council of Halron, and the Scene relates to that Event. I split the Scene off into its own post due to length, and I'll just leave the title in the timeline for reference purposes. Since the scene also clarifies details in an earlier event, I added a note to that event for ease of reference. It is now mcclay's turn, who has three days to create a Period, Event, or Scene (may I ask you to define the Period of the 5 Kings for your turn?) After that is kj1225 who also has three days to create a Period, Event, or Scene, then Chink, blah blah blah you get the picture.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2013, 04:42:27 pm »

You know what would be fun? A SBURB Microscope session. Still, this is fun to watch because it looks awfully organized. Microscope Scenes are always interesting.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2013, 05:09:06 pm »

Oh dear. Did I take my action too early? I'll remove it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2013, 05:13:18 pm »

You know what would be fun? A SBURB Microscope session. Still, this is fun to watch because it looks awfully organized. Microscope Scenes are always interesting.

I have yet to read Homestuck, sadly. *dodges hail of rotten fruit*

Oh dear. Did I take my action too early? I'll remove it.

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, the more I think about it, the more I think loosening the turn order would be a good idea, given we're running this via forum. Anyone else in favor of a "Lens starts -> Everyone else goes whenever -> Lens finishes" turn order, or should we do it by-the-book?

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2013, 05:15:47 pm »

It seems to me that doing it by the book on this forum could make the game unnecessarily long, so I'd be fine with letting everybody go at once.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2013, 05:22:59 pm »

I don't care.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2013, 06:51:45 pm »

I don't really care. Forum has its own mechanics and simultaneous action is always the best.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7