Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together [OOC thread]  (Read 20249 times)

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2013, 10:46:17 am »

You might want to give monk time to clear things up. Especially us waitlisters/2nd gamers.
I think we should start making a new thread if we want to play, just so that this one doesn't get full of ideas from those in the waitlist.
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2013, 10:46:35 am »

There should be a small percentage of each race, known as monster whisperers, capable of placating and speaking to inhuman monsters.
Why? Because the implications that a modern society runs on slavery seems....weird in a society that also has elves and dwarves working in some cohesion with humans, if not exactly on good terms.
These Monster Whisperers also have an unconscious ability to increase the intelligence of various creatures.
Not all monsters are intelligent. For those that aren't, being near a Monster Whisperer can increase their intellect to the point that they can understand contracts and whatnot. This also works on mundane animals.
Monster whisperers should also have something to make it known to themselves at the very least.
Say a tattoo or something that they instinctively know makes them a monster whisperer.
Shall we go with a birthmark?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2013, 10:48:03 am »

There should be a small percentage of each race, known as monster whisperers, capable of placating and speaking to inhuman monsters.
Why? Because the implications that a modern society runs on slavery seems....weird in a society that also has elves and dwarves working in some cohesion with humans, if not exactly on good terms.
These Monster Whisperers also have an unconscious ability to increase the intelligence of various creatures.
Not all monsters are intelligent. For those that aren't, being near a Monster Whisperer can increase their intellect to the point that they can understand contracts and whatnot. This also works on mundane animals.
Monster whisperers should also have something to make it known to themselves at the very least.
Say a tattoo or something that they instinctively know makes them a monster whisperer.
Shall we go with a birthmark?
Yes that could work.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:58 am »

Still wasting magic on enslaving intelligent creatures.

How is using psychological techniques and taming a waste of magic? Or simply a collar filled with explosives? Or the use of naturally derived drugs?

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2013, 10:49:58 am »

Or a strange trait, i.e purple eyes or a blue stripe in their hair.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2013, 10:54:30 am »

Still wasting magic on enslaving intelligent creatures.

How is using psychological techniques and taming a waste of magic? Or simply a collar filled with explosives? Or the use of naturally derived drugs?
It's more efficient to use magic even if I think it's a waste. Because monsters would probably try and kill you if you tried any of the above. And most monsters would probably prefer to kill you even if you make the collar explode before they can kill you. Either way they win in that they are slaves anymore.

So they become anime characters?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2013, 10:55:17 am »

Supporting Waitlist split and adding myself to that waitlist!  :D
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2013, 10:55:35 am »

Why, yes.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2013, 10:56:29 am »

I'd be more specific. Maybe green hair and little fangs. Anime characteristics in general could designate special people, but there should be more kinds than just the one if we're going that general.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:40 am »

I'd be more specific. Maybe green hair and little fangs. Anime characteristics in general could designate special people, but there should be more kinds than just the one if we're going that general.

Well, maybe they have a certain species of pet following them around.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2013, 11:23:25 am »

It's more efficient to use magic even if I think it's a waste. Because monsters would probably try and kill you if you tried any of the above. And most monsters would probably prefer to kill you even if you make the collar explode before they can kill you. Either way they win in that they are slaves anymore.

That does depend on the monster, though. Some could presumably be tamed, if only in an immature state (obtained, say, by kidnapping offspring), while some (if appropriately disarmed and isolated) may be receptive to psychological influence. Plus it would make sense that mind-controlling a monster (or merely making them docile and receptive to suggestion) would be less taxing than creating a magical construct wholesale, creating a demand for them despite constructs being technically better.

Also, the fear of death is a powerful motivator for many. Why not monsters? Not all of them put honor, dignity and ideals above reason, I would think. And some of them are really lacking in intellect.

How about more traditional characteristics - physical and mental abnormalities, for instance. Say, unusual height, six fingers on one hand, schizophrenia, sociopathy, manic-depressive behavior, that kind of thing. To varying degrees, naturally.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:25:03 am by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2013, 11:31:47 am »

Maybe there's one characteristic--say, having strangely-colored eyes and/or hair--that indicates that some kind of magical gift, but it's impossible to say what kind until it's been discovered by the gifted one?
Sig

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2013, 11:43:28 am »

declaring interest, maybe intent to play when i'm less busy.

Although perhaps an IC thread should be made for the actual game, to ease reading?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2013, 12:00:48 pm »

Need someone to write up on this gigantic trainwreck.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2013, 01:31:24 pm »

Wait, there's a player list?
This is a game!?

Oh right, Bay12 fucking loves worldbuilding. Yes indeedy, it's a game with rules and a turn order and everything. The important bits are all in the OP, things should be pretty easy to pick up once we get rolling.

declaring interest, maybe intent to play when i'm less busy.

Although perhaps an IC thread should be made for the actual game, to ease reading?

Normally I don't really like IC/OOC threads, but in this case it's probably a good idea. I'll leave this thread as an OOC thread for rules discussion for both the game already begun and the game yet to begin, and I certainly don't care if people want to recruit for their own games in here. Note that planning things out is generally discouraged; part of the core concept of Microscope is that everyone contributes unique, individual ideas, and then we see how those ideas intertwine and work with one another. Planning things out in advance makes everything blander and more homogenized. Discussing the rules is fine, suggesting/coaching/criticizing creative content is not. If people add or do things you don't like, that's fine; the game is designed to deal with it. Keep an open mind.

Well, without a limit for players it would have too many suggestions. Agreeing on the palette would be impossible, and it would end up like WH40K fluff (all messed up, not being rewritten by an idiot)

This is basically why the game has a player limit and rules and junk. The game is actually intended for four players, but since this format doesn't support doing scenes as group roleplay I think we'll be fine with six.

Just to say, using Twilight of the Gods as the end might be too premature. We seemed to be destined to End of History: Either a total annihilation, or a Francis Fukuyama style eternal stagnation.

Anyway, we do seem to be in agreement above the general flow of the story. Let's just start from here.

In addition, I would recommend adding a longer unit of time, the Era. A Era would basically encompasses a few to a lot of periods, and while not concentrating on one single theme, Eras are defined by periods so catastrophic or important that life will (generally) never be the same between two eras. Essentially, Antiquity, Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, so on and so forth. These can be defined, though in a later age when events start to shape the world.

We'll stick with the base rules for now, see how they go. Also, I intentionally chose an End Period that doesn't imply the End of All Things, which leaves room for happy endings and/or sequel games.

Palette so far:

Magitek is in: This encompasses the idea that modern-to-future levels of technology are acceptable, and that magic and technology can work in harmony.

Magic is powerful, but expensive and dangerous to everyone: When it comes to magic, sacrifice and equivalent exchange should be major aesthetics. Humans are among (if not the) least magically skilled creatures.

Humans are the most important race in the world: Monstrous races can exist, but they are neither as numerous nor as powerful as the human civilizations.

You'll note I trimmed a lot of that back; the reason is that the Palette is not a list of specific things, just a list of aesthetics that will inform what we create. Monster Whisperers or crazy magic slavery or the implementation of Magitek itself will be things handled as Events and Scenes in the game itself.

If everyone is fine with the Palette, we can move on to the First Pass. This is the last step of starting a new game, and in many ways is the beginning of play. Every player adds one Period or Event to the existing timeline in order to flesh it out a bit. There is no turn order for the First Pass, just add something if you agree with the current Palette. Remember to indicate where your Period or Event fits in, and remember not to contradict any established facts.

The game thread is here, and includes the current Palette in the OP. I already took my turn in the First Pass since I doubt any Palette revisions will alter what I wanted to do anyway; I added an Event to the Creation Period. Made a moon, defined that there's Twelve major Gods, put those gods on the moon. Fun times.

Aw dammit I'm running late FURTHER THREAD MAINTENANCE WILL HAVE TO WAIT KK BAI
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7