Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together [OOC thread]  (Read 20248 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Microscope RPG: Let's build a world together
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2013, 10:14:24 am »

Honestly, I'd rather not have 'standard fantasy races', or atleast not the generic versions that usually pop up. This forum doesn't seem to be able to create dwarves that aren't carbon copy DF dwarves. (But not a Palette, just a worry - I have a little faith!)
Woah time out there. You do realize that with at least 90% of all fantasy races, the "My (Fantasy Race) is Different" statement never works.
An Elf is always a Long Eared, Long Life, Great Grace and Nature Connected Being.
A Dwarf is ALWAYS a Deep Digging, Metal Mastering, War Loving, Dunkard and Dieing to Hoards of Goblin/Orcish foes as well as possible digging too deep for their own good.
ORCS are WAR MAD, Blood Bathing, Angry and Semi Nomadic Neathadalic Monsters and almost always green with long teeth/tusks.
Goblins are Orcs but scaled down and more crazy or selfdestructive.
Halflings/Hobbits are the Hairy Footed, child sized, adventurous and more Humanized Dwarven race.
And countless other races that you can think of...

If you take any of those Fantasy Race and put them into a world different to the one they come from in replacement of their counterparts, the differences would be limited. There are few times you see an Orc Race not being War Crazy with Blood all over them, one being where they were Nomadic Vegetarians that acted like an Tauran would from WoW_

Heck there is basicly a TVTropes Page about this, (do not click for own safety), called "Our Dwarves are Different".

Sorry to be snapping there, but unless you want to create a brand new fantasy Race or something, the only way to avoid creating a carbon copy of the base design presented to you due to all forms of media, is to use the safest race and that is to go Human. A Human is boring and plan but can be anything that he strives to be, which is commonly why Humans are the most expansive race in almost all Fantasy Worlds as their is nothing holding back a Human except for their own actions. Elves stick to forests, Dwarves Mountains and so forth, while a Human can exist anywhere, Be anything and Do anything. This is commonly also why when you come to things like DnD and the like a Human is not limited and has nothing special about them cause in the end their possible outcome is endless compared to say an Elf who can go Archer/Wizard/Druid easily...

Chill, dude. That's not what I'm saying. I'll be honest and say I don't like the generic races, and there's no reason to use them despite what a lot of people seem to think these days. Sure, they're easily recognized, but they weren't when Tolkien et al. first brought them into existence. The point of worldbuilding is to create something new.

(Tolkien based much on myths, naturally, but even those came from someone's imagination and is a perfect example of altering existing 'generic' stuff.)

I'm not saying we should make them completely different with just the same name - Bay 12 is just worryingly incapable of straying away from the DF type of dwarf sometimes. I'm not opposed to sticking what everyone knows, but it's hardly worldbuilding if everything is the same as the base Tolkienesque setting.

I'm getting pretty sick of the 'uhuhuh anything new is Mary Sue bad go away' attitude prevalent pretty much everywhere. Is originality a sin in fantasy? It seems to me that scifi has free hands in that regard when compared.

Anyway, support splitting waitlist off into another game.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:16:23 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2013, 10:18:30 am »

Should I start a new thread for the second game?
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2013, 10:21:36 am »

You don't seem to understand so I'll be subtle about this. I THINK PEOPLE WILL RAPE THE MONSTERS OR HAVE THE MONSTERS RAPE OTHER PEOPLE BECAUSE WHO OTHER THAN AN INSANE AND EXTREMELY SICK INDIVIDUAL WOULD BUY A MONSTER FOR A SLAVE?

Oh, you of little imagination. You should really get your head out of the gutter. I'm talking about skeletal servants, undead spellcasters that don't need to worry about sleep or tiring and can maintain magical effects for days on end, a blue dragon used to consistently generate electric charge from food, slimes used as janitors. Not to mention efficient guards.

And still, your example doesn't defeat my point of "adventurers might not be willing to ask questions about that sort of thing". Particularly since your example might be the answer.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2013, 10:23:00 am »

I'm not really sure what the problem is there. People can do horrible things to eachother, but not to monsters/other races?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2013, 10:27:11 am »

Only spellcasting needs someone with an actual mind otherwise they will just be over taken immediately. Skeletons would need ungodly amounts of energy at all times to be maintained as servants. We never established dragon types and colors. Slimes would also take ungodly amounts of energy to maintain. And the guards would need to be given very strict orders depending on how the collars work. And also you would have to get really close to monsters to enslave them. Also you aren't giving me anything to think there is anything moral about slavery.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2013, 10:29:03 am »

Nothing's been established, mind you. But good God, do you think we're supporting slavery here? Even if we don't take moral value dissonance from a medieval-time society, I'm sure there are bad people in this world who'd be willing to get a bit of exploitation and enslavin' done.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2013, 10:30:52 am »

Also again giving how magic is going here wasting it on collars seems like a bad idea. Also you can just as easily strap them onto a person.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2013, 10:31:03 am »

There should be a small percentage of each race, known as monster whisperers, capable of placating and speaking to inhuman monsters.
Why? Because the implications that a modern society runs on slavery seems....weird in a society that also has elves and dwarves working in some cohesion with humans, if not exactly on good terms.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2013, 10:35:08 am »

Also again giving how magic is going here wasting it on collars seems like a bad idea. Also you can just as easily strap them onto a person.

You don't necessarily need collars (magical or merely explosive). Possibly you can use other methods of control, including taming, brainwashing for more intelligent creatures and so on.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 10:39:31 am »

Still wasting magic on enslaving intelligent creatures.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 10:40:33 am »

I've launched a new edict on that. If anyone agrees, go ahead.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 10:41:11 am »

There should be a small percentage of each race, known as monster whisperers, capable of placating and speaking to inhuman monsters.
Why? Because the implications that a modern society runs on slavery seems....weird in a society that also has elves and dwarves working in some cohesion with humans, if not exactly on good terms.
These Monster Whisperers also have an unconscious ability to increase the intelligence of various creatures.
Not all monsters are intelligent. For those that aren't, being near a Monster Whisperer can increase their intellect to the point that they can understand contracts and whatnot. This also works on mundane animals.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2013, 10:42:12 am »

You might want to give monk time to clear things up. Especially us waitlisters/2nd gamers.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2013, 10:43:47 am »

These Monster Whisperers also have an unconscious ability to increase the intelligence of various creatures.
Not all monsters are intelligent. For those that aren't, being near a Monster Whisperer can increase their intellect to the point that they can understand contracts and whatnot. This also works on mundane animals.
Monster whisperers should also have something to make it known to themselves at the very least.
Say a tattoo or something that they instinctively know makes them a monster whisperer.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2013, 10:44:53 am »

I'm definitly supporting to split of the waitlist.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7