Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will Sparkgear XIV last longer than Sparkgear XIII?

LONGER? LONGER? WE AIN'T GONNA SURVIVE FOUR DAYS!
- 10 (26.3%)
HELL NO. Twelve days, maximum.
- 1 (2.6%)
Maybe. We'll get to around two weeks or so.
- 4 (10.5%)
Hell yes! We'll survive a whole month!
- 3 (7.9%)
HELL YES! We may get up to a year on this one!
- 3 (7.9%)
WE'LL HIT A THOUSAND YEARS FOR THE GLORY OF THE DWARVEN EMPIRE!
- 17 (44.7%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Sparkgear XIV: A POX ON THOSE GOBLIN FIENDS FOR FOUNDERING MY SHIP!  (Read 7344 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear XIV: A POX ON THOSE GOBLIN FIENDS FOR FOUNDERING MY SHIP!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 06:03:12 pm »

I can do the 22nd, not the 21st (sorry, that day is VERY full for me)

You're on then. Go from the latest save, or from my save if that last one is unplayable.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 05:37:03 am »

Computer issues. Since fixed, but I won't be able to do much of an update before it his the 23rd.

I'm requesting an extension (as I'm leaving for college, I need to finish off at least 2 bottles of vodka, half a bottle of rum, and a bottle of sake. This should be the perfect chance to do it.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 11:02:25 am »

Given that you had computer troubles, and were unable to play, and the playlist is a total mess, you can start your turn today as of Friday 23rd August. This means you do not need to be drunk until tomorrow, but you can be drunk on both days if you like.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 05:55:29 pm »

Downloading save now.

Oh, and my car broke down today (clutch gave out, no idea why. It needs to be completely replaced.)

Yeah, this is going to be a drunken update...

Quick question. Is there some reason why everyone is under the sky? there's like nothing dug out underground...

If it's because of a lack of miners/tools, im sure gonna have to fix that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:05:40 pm by bp920091 »
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 06:38:11 pm »

Glad to see that this fortress isn't completely abandoned. Did you use the first save or the second?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 06:42:57 pm »

Technically the fortress fell during Gnorm's turn, because it was mostly aboveground owing to the initial lack of mining equipment. As Fortress Fuck The World towered over the rest of the buildings, likely almost everything has been flattened. If its too much to save the place, use the first save.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 06:57:40 pm »

Oh, im having great fun, everyone's looking up, stuff's getting dug.

Six shots down :)

I took the second save.

I HAVE recovered forts from worse catastrophies before.

Also, im implementing two of my happiness generators (a 5 wall unit one and a 4x4 circular one. They should make the fortress all smiles again.

Oh, do i have permission to make the children (not babies), able to HAUL (and just haul), or am i stuck with vanilla commands?

BTW, i dunno what you guys did with this fort, but it's one of the most unstable forts that i have EVER seen.

* bp920091 takes another shot.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:04:41 pm by bp920091 »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 07:31:18 pm »

Technically the fortress fell during Gnorm's turn, because it was mostly aboveground owing to the initial lack of mining equipment. As Fortress Fuck The World towered over the rest of the buildings, likely almost everything has been flattened. If its too much to save the place, use the first save.
I didn't actually drop the tower on the orc. I almost did it, though.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 07:32:52 pm »

BTW, i dunno what you guys did with this fort, but it's one of the most unstable forts that i have EVER seen.

How is the fortress unstable?

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 07:38:00 pm »

crashes about every other time I start it

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 07:53:03 pm »

Check how much RAM you have and how much the game takes up when the fortress is loaded. It may just be too damn fat  8) .

Edit: Are creatures moving into the map? The embark stretches between the coast of an island (where the dwarves are) and the coast of the mainland, and I only had four creatures on the map, which never departed the place. I'm wondering whether the embark is bugged.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:08:36 pm by CaptainArchmage »

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 09:16:22 pm »

Check how much RAM you have and how much the game takes up when the fortress is loaded. It may just be too damn fat  8) .

Edit: Are creatures moving into the map? The embark stretches between the coast of an island (where the dwarves are) and the coast of the mainland, and I only had four creatures on the map, which never departed the place. I'm wondering whether the embark is bugged.

12GB, DDR3, 2000 speed (ie, RAM isnt a problem).

There arent THAT many creatures (outside of vermin, which there is about 12-20 of (they dont show up on every snapshot).

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 10:11:27 pm »

First part of the update. more will come tonight:

AN: 2 shots down

20th Malachite

This place is a mess. Dwarves are not meant to live aboveground.

There's no real reason for it either, and everyone is near to snapping from the strain of being under that sun.

We're proper dwarves, and that means that we go BELOW!

First thing is first, a proper dormitory, with beds provided by... wait... we dont have a carpenters workshop either...

Ok, first thing is to take stock of how many logs we have... No bookeeper... Or Manager...

At least we have enough drink for me to forget about this... Oh wait, we're nearly out of that too...

Fine, everyone goes and plants plump helmets that isnt mining or hauling logs to a newly created wood stockpile. If for nothing else, when people snap and go insane, we wont lose everyone.

22nd Malachite:

Apparently 6 of our members are resting in a hospital... From wounds caused by tantruming children.

This Stops NOW!

I talked to one of the children who was furious, a child by the name of "" and he told me that people kept calling him a parasite, good for nothing, and completely worthless.

This isnt the way to talk to future members of the fortress, as they are going to be the ones caring for us when we are older and cannot work (remember, brainwash when they are young, keep the abuse to the teenage years).

An: another shot

27th Malachite:

The dwarves have mostly finished hauling crap into that wood stockpile, getting below ground, and have started to sleep in actual beds (even in a communal dormitory).

What i need to do is simple: Secure the fortress from any and all threats, internal and external

Fortresses have died from many things, lack of drink, lack of food, invading armies, and just general unhappiness.

As a result, i have started running the stills full time, planting plump helmet fields, locking the walls, and i have started one of my ambitious projects. A happiness generator.

A series of waterfalls designed to generate mist in an infinite cycle, a happiness generator can also be turned off at a whim.

The one that i am designing consists of twelve pumps, requiring 150 units of power, or a two stage dihidrominoxide reactor. Im sticking with two one-stage reactors, as they would be a better option over time (less water loss, less maintenance, and you can turn the whole thing off with a throw of a switch).

But, due to the increased unhappiness, i am also installing a circular one, immediately above the dining hall

17th Galena:

A craftsdwarf has begun construction of a mysterius construction, and we get human traders.

Excellent, this will give us the ability to actually have a trader with the broker skill, as we can actually find out what stuff's worth after a transaction.

Necrisha also gave birth to a girl

19th Galena:

ALERT, A troll managed to wander into the bedrooms!

Cancel alert. the bedridden occupants have latched on with their teeth to the troll and have ripped off three of his fingers.

* bp920091 takes another shot

Well, i was apparently taking a nap in one of those beds, and that troll managed to piledrive it's elbow into my skull, shattering it.

I guess that's why im a ghost now...

In response, ive enlisted the entire fortress into squads, and they are currently breaking every bit of the troll that they can reach...

25th Galena:

Even though im dead, im still terrified at what is happening. The troll is getting punched in the head, repetitively, by every single member of the military.

This has been going on for FIVE days!

A helmet snake has snuck in and killed ID Q., but the peasants gouged it's eyes out with their fingers before ripping it apart.

In lighter news, my happiness generator is nearly complete, so that the whole fort will be able to recover as one :)

28th Galena:

The troll is dead, and more importantly, my happiness generator is completed (at least the 4x4 part), and it has started working. Everyone is starting to chill out and be calmer

* bp920091 takes a shot

19th Limestone:

We get ten migrants. All adults, and all without any special skills to bring to the table...

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 01:19:55 am »

Sorry for triple post, but im still applying for that 24 hour extension (im so drunk that this is the seventh time ive written this response, and i cant focus on DF any more. About 14 shots over 3 hours is making me tipsy). Ill be finishing it tomorrow, same for uploading.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2013, 11:25:45 am »

Sorry for triple post, but im still applying for that 24 hour extension (im so drunk that this is the seventh time ive written this response, and i cant focus on DF any more. About 14 shots over 3 hours is making me tipsy). Ill be finishing it tomorrow, same for uploading.

This is OK.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5