Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will Sparkgear XIV last longer than Sparkgear XIII?

LONGER? LONGER? WE AIN'T GONNA SURVIVE FOUR DAYS!
- 10 (26.3%)
HELL NO. Twelve days, maximum.
- 1 (2.6%)
Maybe. We'll get to around two weeks or so.
- 4 (10.5%)
Hell yes! We'll survive a whole month!
- 3 (7.9%)
HELL YES! We may get up to a year on this one!
- 3 (7.9%)
WE'LL HIT A THOUSAND YEARS FOR THE GLORY OF THE DWARVEN EMPIRE!
- 17 (44.7%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Sparkgear XIV: A POX ON THOSE GOBLIN FIENDS FOR FOUNDERING MY SHIP!  (Read 7339 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear XIV: A POX ON THOSE GOBLIN FIENDS FOR FOUNDERING MY SHIP!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2013, 09:15:33 pm »

Yarrr! By my beard matey, that twas a marvelous update.

I kind of burned out at the end. Nobody died in the kobold attacks, and nothing was stolen, but it was kind of surprising. Then I had to plan out the underground.

Next person up, this place needs walling off.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 08:34:09 pm »

Why hasn't the next person posted?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 08:52:42 pm »

OK, fine. I'm doing an urgent change of the order. Gnorm, are you able to take a turn for Monday 19th August?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 09:24:16 pm »

OK, fine. I'm doing an urgent change of the order. Gnorm, are you able to take a turn for Monday 19th August?

That should be all right. It's based on the forum time, right?

EDIT: I will indeed take this turn.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:51:10 am by Gnorm »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 02:01:19 am »

I have the prologue for my turn written; actual gameplay sections will follow soon.

From the notes of “Gnorm” Deler Mountainrights, found written between the lines of a Dwarfish hymnal:

Introduction:

Well, I’ve finally found a means and an excuse to write down the happenings of my life. Our great captain took almost all of the surviving paper, pens, and ink for himself after the crash, I was forced to get creative, something that I find I’m fairly adept at. I found that the doctor’s daughter lost her beloved hymnal in the crash, and, after some careful searching, I now have some paper on which I can write. At the fishery, I took one of the fish bones to fashion a sort of crude pen; the blood of the fish, mixed with some soot from the furnace, has given me a supply of ink.

But I’ve certainly gotten ahead of myself, haven’t I? My current story truly begins almost 6 years ago, when I, under the guise of a retired scribe of the king, sold some information to a rebellion leader in The Everseeing Boats, only to pocket some extra money by revealing their plans to the loyalists. After that, I adopted the identity of a simple fishery worker. The details of my current guise I have written below:

After laying low for a few years, occasionally performing a minor smuggling operation here and there, I decided to expand my criminal activity into the new frontier. Being that I was a “fishery worker,” I easily found myself a spot on a D.I.V. under the command of a dwarf who insisted on being called “Count Fuck the World.” Our mission was to survey the Land of Dreams, and to return with the information. I found the island to be a decent location for a smuggler’s cove, and I was ready to return to the Mountainhome, adopt a new identity, and begin my plans.

On our way back, however, our ship ran into disaster, and we crashed on the island shore; I was separated from the captain, and met up with him later. I’ve heard from the other dwarves that his official excuse for the crash is a goblin attack, but we all know the truth. Count Fucks Himself was particularly drunk that day, and decided that it would be a swell idea to steer his ship with his dick. Long story short: we’re here.

M. le Comte has occupied his time with building himself a rather tall tower, instead of occupying himself with more important matters. Realizing that their leader was a narcissistic asshole, the surviving crew elected a new, far humbler leader: Gnorm, the fishery worker. I see this island as an opportunity to grow rich by the sweat of my brow, not to build myself a big playhouse. Nevertheless, I must begin my with my leader duties.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:20:41 pm by Gnorm »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 05:24:00 pm »

4th Moonstone, 106

Unlike my predecessor, I shall begin my term as outpost leader with maturity and professionalism. I have copied the notes of “the Count” for my convenience.

And I’ve just wasted fifteen minutes of my time.

5th Moonstone, 106

I’m continuing the wall around the fortress area. The last thing we need is more kobold cowards in our stockpiles.

9th Moonstone, 106

I’ve ordered my men to dig deeper into the earth. A true dwarf lives within the stone he mines, not in a tower of wood.

12th Moonstone, 106

We’ve struck native gold! I shall put it to use immediately.

15th Moonstone, 106

Damned kobold thieves. I ordered the military to kill it, but it got away. Didn’t grab anything though; even if he did, whatever kobold group lives on this island can’t be that strong.

7th Opal, 106

The side entrances of our base are now hooked up to a lever in case we’re attacked by any of the less desirable inhabitants of this island.

25th Opal, 106

I’ve finally made use of the gold. Instead of relying on primitive means of bartering, we now have gold currency.

I understand that it isn’t truly necessary, seeing as we’re in a sort of anarch-communist state. Still, they remind me of a more civilized world.

23rd Obsidian, 106

Another kobold thief intruded on our territory today. Fortunately, this one was brought to swift justice.

The wall around the fortress is almost complete. I’ll draw a picture in this book once it is all done.

28th Obsidian, 106

It’s the last day of the year 106, and we have just finished the fortress wall.

Next comes the main drawbridge; I shall put it in front of the road leading to the depot. The time is now to welcome the new year with ambition.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 06:19:00 pm »

Alright, as we're approaching the end of the 21st on the forums, and I've heard The Master is out, would it be possible for Necrisha and then bp920091 to take turns on the 22nd and 23rd respectively? Unless Vinedragon is around for his or her turn, that is.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 07:08:33 pm »

Sorry guys, real life stopped me from having time for this.  I'm afraid I must pass.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 07:51:28 pm »

2nd Granite, 107

Lady Luck has smiled on me. As one of the miners was digging through the earth, he uncovered an expansive system of tunnels hidden deep underground.

At first, I wasn’t quite sure what to do with this discovery; soon, I realized how I could turn this into profit. The deep underground tunnels could serve as an ingenious underground smuggling route, and I would be in charge of it; I’ll be rich! I shall set to work immediately!

19th Granite, 107

A group of new-arrivals have shown up near the fortress. I don’t know where they came from, but I’m putting them to immediate work!

Migrants:
1 Female Spinner
1 Male Dyer
3 Male Fishery Workers
1 Female Peasant
5 Male Parasites
1 Female Cook
6 Female Parasites
1 Female Craftsdwarf
2 Male Farmers
1 Female Farmer
1 Female Herbalist
1 Male Metalcrafter
1 Female Shearer

It seems that more housing is in order.

3rd Slate, 107

The 107 mint has begun, I have recorded the design below.

9th Slate, 107

One of the parasites has gone into a strange state of mind, and demands materials and workspace. I’ll give it to him, but he’ll be a prime specimen for my upcoming project.

20th Slate, 107

The parasite has just revealed his artifact to us: a native copper ring worth about 9600.

21st Slate, 107

My men are now connecting the main drawbridge to the lever in the tower. This shall allow us a better defense.

13th Felsite, 107

An orc thief was spotted today outside of the fortress. He was quickly dispatched by the military, when yet another appeared. This one managed to murder the girl from whom I took this hymnal. Then yet another orc appeared, and, before the military could even finish that one, another one appeared. The duo managed to kill many of our military men, including the Count. A couple of goblin thieves were spotted, but, unlike the orcs, they fled like cowards. One orc still remains fight our military.

19th Slate, 107

During the confusion, an elven caravan arrived, we’ll trade as soon as the mess is cleared up.

26th Slate, 107

Today, in order to save our fortress from a single orc, I almost made a very destructive choice. I had ordered my dwarves to collapse the tower on top of the orc, and the constructions were in the middle of being removed when the military finally managed to kill the single orc.

List of dead:
1 Swordsdwarf
1 Farmer
1 Macedwarf
1 Marksdwarf
Vinedragon the Doctor
1 Woodcutter
Master Greatbeard
The Count

Now that that fiasco is over, it’s time to trade with some elves.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 11:03:07 pm »

Wait so most of the starting seven are dead now? Damn, it looks like this will be a two-turn fort.
If the fortress falls this early (or ends up in an unrecoverable state, i.e. full on tantrum spiral), we will do a revert.

When I said four days, I should have said "It only takes 24 hours after the initial save is posted for everything to go to hell".
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:10:43 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 11:11:17 pm »

7th Hematite, 107

I traded personally today with the elves, seeing as our former broker is now dead. Most of their stuff was cheap crap; I only purchased the necessities.

24th Hematite, 107

Another group of migrants have arrived; they’re just in time to replace all of my dead workers.

2 Farmers
1 Weaponsmith
1 Cheesemaker
1 Metalcrafter
1 Butcher
1 Fish Dissector
1 Glazer
1 Woodcrafter
3 Parasites
1 Hunter
1 Soap Maker

7th Malachite, 107

I’ve ordered a burial at sea for all of the dwarves that died fighting the orcs. It’s the least we can do.

16th Malachite, 107

Well that didn’t go as well as I had originally hoped.

17th Malachite, 107

The residents have become unruly, and I feel that it is time to lay low for a while. I’ve given up both of my positions. Whoever wishes to succeed me, good luck.

Good luck to whoever is next! I'll have the file up soon.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/agtqvestz29se3t/SparkgearXIV.zip
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:50:14 am by Gnorm »

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:50 am »

im fine with the 23rd. Ive got it market in my calendar.

On a side note, how is the forum timed. GMT or what?
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 04:15:39 pm »

Is "The Master" taking his turn?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 06:08:49 pm »

Is "The Master" taking his turn?

From Moltenchannels, The Master has been interrupted by real life and will not be taking that turn. I assume the same applies to this. If bp920091 or Necrisha can start on the save ASAP (first one to it), that would be great. Since Tuesday is pretty much over, we'll make that the Wednesday 21st slot with the 22nd going to the other person.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 10:53:25 pm »

I can do the 22nd, not the 21st (sorry, that day is VERY full for me)
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5