Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39

Author Topic: Dom3 Round 15 - Game in Progress  (Read 52720 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dom3 Round 15 - Game in Progress
« Reply #240 on: September 25, 2013, 01:27:59 pm »

When the courier brought news of the Queen's decision, Exarch Kosuth seethed, and smashed several century-old coral sculptures. Githu. Githu! The traitor's arrogance knew no bounds! This was not the end of it. The Queen would see sense, understand that the Usurper was the true enemy of Atlantis, and Githu would use his sly maw for nothing but screeching in agony for the rest of his painfully short life.

She didn't get truly angry until the next courier arrived, with a brash requisition from the Coral Guard for a full squad of Living Pillars to serve as messengers and errand-boys - there had apparently been some unfortunate incidents involving heatstroke and spontaneous combustion with the ichtyids and shamblers previously sent to Abyssia...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 27, 2013, 07:13:50 am »

-"So, you're saying the orders to stand down didn't reach him on time, which in his brilliant little brain meant it's ok to not only brutally murder our firend's and ally's trusted servant, but do so with such a zeal that he wasted his yearly fire ruby allowance AND burned half of his own woodsmen in the process? Is that more or less correct?" The chamberlain did his best to avoid Jeff's sight. The Lord of Abysia felt depleted of all empathy towards his flock at this point. "Children, they're all little children. Big, fiery, demonic children with too much power and too little sense to keep it restrained." Aloud he said. "Bring me coral tablets and a chisel."
-"At once, M'lord!" muttered the usher as he scurried away.
"And lube," thought Jeff. "Lots and lots of lube. This is going some get some extra effort to appease the Fish."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 27, 2013, 07:20:27 am »

Next on Couple's Therapy Extreme: Matron Mother and Jeff Sr!  Can they reconcile their marriage?  How will this affect their son, Jefferson?  Stay tuned and find out!

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2013, 11:19:11 am »

Tape playing
Interviewer:So what is your story, Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Burger?
LLaPoB: Where do you want to start?
Interviewer: Preferably your childhood. Were you adopted by an evil wizard?
LLaPoB: No, nothing like that. My parents were a bit strict, but fair. We lived in a relatively quiet suburb.
Interviewer: In the shadowlands of the darkest dream?
LLaPoB: It got a little dark in my room since it was closer to the center of the house. I had those glow-in-the-dark star stickers on my ceiling. But no, it was a small suburb in a farming community.
Interviewer: Ah, but you must have been bullied by your peers and you must have been secretly studing the magic arts, in an attempt to gain revenge upon them when you become the one true GOD!
LLaPoB: Hey, who's telling my life story? I never had an abusive childhood, I grew up in an ordinary town, I WASN'T adopted unlike my brother, and I-
Interviewer: Your brother?
LLaPoB: Yes, my brother. He always was sort of weird. Playing with fire, eating small animals, being a general nuisance. I heard he changed his name to Joseph, or something  like that. Maybe it was Jotaro?
Interviewer: Speaking of names, what is your true name? Or do you wish to keep that a secret from the listeners?
LLaPoB: Ah, my name? It's just Sam Brewer. Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Burger is what the Caelians call me after I opened up my restaurant bar up in the mountains. *laughter* And they called me crazy for building one there.
Interviewer: Your restaurant?
LLaPoB: Don't tell me you haven't been to Spenta Bar and Burgers? I heard they're opening up a chain underwater to serve those fish folk! It really took off when the Eagle Kings became regulars. They always talked about how great it was before the Big Guy came and grounded them. I always listened to them, and when they looked especially down, I said my bit and they cheered up. I guess my family brew helped too.
Interviewer: So why aren't you running your restaurant chain now?
LLaPoB: Because I sold it. I only own the original, up near the Palace of the Eagle Kings.
Interviewer: But the revenues...
LLaPoB: *Laughter* Look, you think I was born into phenomenal cosmic power and divinity? Nah, I used the proceeds from the sale to fund my education into the magic arts. Divinity doesn't come cheap you know, and neither do textbooks. *Laughter*
Tape cuts off
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:23:10 am by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2013, 03:54:08 pm »

The Grey Cathedral was only somber on the outside. Though the death of one of the highest Matrons of the realm, who had been a fixture in the Church hierarchy for over three centuries, was a great loss and nominally called for a period of mourning, within the basalt walls there was a poorly-concealed current of excitement. Matron Azatoth had not been greatly loved by the shallow mothers, and she had been outright hated by the reef-dwelling Seekers. The Matrons mourned her, true, but their grief was overshadowed by their glee at the other news arriving from the south. The conniving and presumptuous Baron of Aelonia had swallowed his own puffer, and died a hot, dry death abandoned by his soldiers in the muddy wastes. The sister who brought the tale back to the Basalt City recounted how in the end he had sniveled and begged, recanting his faith and offering his fealty in exchange for his life - a laughable offer that not even fire demons would entertain. It was a far more convincing tale than the Coral Guard's ridiculous story of their Lord-Commander charging alone into a block of twenty Burning Ones to buy the Matron time to escape.

As always, Truth had told and Balance had been struck. The Queen could hardly still deny the folly of the alliance with Abyssia. Since the King and his elders remained sequestered in the depths with the Dark Crystal, the recalcitrant officers of the Coral Guard had been the only breakwater standing against uncontested rule by the Matrons. With their contemptible leader fallen victim to his own treacherous schemes, there was little chance that the cowed remnants would dare speak against the Church's counsel. From smoke and shadows, a new dawn was breaking over the Naerun Sea.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 29, 2013, 01:41:49 pm »

I just wanted to say that it's a very pretty map we're playing on. It doesn't look like it on the first sight, but the little details give it much character.
Does it have preset magic sites? The ones I find seem to match the graphics for a given province, or is that just a coincidence?

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 29, 2013, 05:02:11 pm »

Looking through the provinces, I think you're right, at least for the most part.  There might be some element of randomness- I can't figure out if there is a logo for the centaur-chariot recruitment, for example.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 29, 2013, 05:21:43 pm »

There are definitely random sites around, but there're also a lot of preset sites on this map. Pretty much anything sparkly or interesting is likely to be a site already discovered and waiting.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 29, 2013, 06:18:07 pm »

Honk Honk!
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 29, 2013, 09:15:15 pm »

Shahrivar always was one of my favorite maps. It's drawn with a clean, vibrant style that you really don't see on pretty much any other map I can think of, and it really is full of all sorts of little details.

As to known sites, as stated above you can generally just look for sparklies. The Llamaserver version we're using is modified to remove/replace some sites which gave casting bonuses or recruitable mages. The remaining sites are as follows:

Spoiler: Shahrivar known sites (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:34:54 pm by E. Albright »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2013, 03:19:39 am »

Well things seem to have gotten interesting for me. Of course its bad because my armies are not in the right place. Its good though because it mean that the rest of my border is defended.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 30, 2013, 03:21:33 am »

Well things seem to have gotten interesting for me. Of course its bad because my armies are not in the right place. Its good though because it mean that the rest of my border is defended.
Huh?  ???

By the way, whenever I see your fortress total, I think it's a misprint or something.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #252 on: September 30, 2013, 03:25:44 am »

Something fluttered into one of my provinces and decided to stay so I will have to kick it out. I blame the clown. As for my fortresses its a nifty thing this round but when its the Middle era Tien Chi has a mage that has only random paths so each one can recruit a mage. It let me dominate the research in a previous round though of course that matters little when you can't leverage it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:27:21 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2013, 03:34:15 am »

Something fluttered into one of my provinces and decided to stay so I will have to kick it out. I blame the clown. As for my fortresses its a nifty thing this round but when its the Middle era Tien Chi has a mage that has only random paths so each one can recruit a mage. It let me dominate the research in a previous round though of course that matters little when you can't leverage it.

In any round, I think forts in almost any province lets you dominate.  It is very much a sleeping dragon technique.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2013, 03:40:28 am »

No it just makes you harder to kill. If a person doesn't know how to leverage it this many can be a detriment.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39