Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39

Author Topic: Dom3 Round 15 - Game in Progress  (Read 52716 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dom3 Round 15 - Game in Progress
« Reply #255 on: September 30, 2013, 12:00:45 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I wouldn't recommend using it against your neighbor's dog or picket fence though.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #256 on: September 30, 2013, 03:48:46 pm »

While stuff like that does help in making it hard on a person the biggest problem comes after the enemy takes a provinces with a fortress. It basically means they automatically get a strong border where if they can defend it means they can just take on provinces at a time, slowly eating an empire bit by bit.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2013, 04:23:00 pm »

While stuff like that does help in making it hard on a person the biggest problem comes after the enemy takes a provinces with a fortress. It basically means they automatically get a strong border where if they can defend it means they can just take on provinces at a time, slowly eating an empire bit by bit.

Well, it all varies.

For instance, low resource provinces offer much less recruitment potential.

More importantly, mages researching in a fortified province can't assist the province defense, which means province defense of a fortified province generally loses more than unfortified province defense, unless you take your mages off research duty.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 01, 2013, 07:36:13 pm »

I'm really itching (metaphorically of course) for a chance to hop into another round of Dominions right now. Should anyone start up a round (preferably Dominions 4) I'd love to join in.

Hell, I'd even sub *shivers* for another player right now.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #259 on: October 01, 2013, 07:53:55 pm »

I think people are basically holding their metaphorical breath till Dom4 is out and about. Once this round finishes I would probably start another but chances of someone else starting a new round is low. Especially since the last couple rounds besides this one have ended because of catastrophic player loss.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 01, 2013, 08:02:35 pm »

True. Eh, well I suppose my patience will simply have to hold out for a while longer. Hopefully llamaserver will be hosting Dom 4 games as well in the near future.

I wonder how we'll organize the whole team play thing... Palazzo, you have to work alone. :P
Sure thing peanut man!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 01, 2013, 09:17:55 pm »

True. Eh, well I suppose my patience will simply have to hold out for a while longer. Hopefully llamaserver will be hosting Dom 4 games as well in the near future.

I wonder how we'll organize the whole team play thing... Palazzo, you have to work alone. :P
Oh, I'm certain ol' Palazzo could add a lot to a game by serving as a lieutenant player on a team.  Probably be the only time you ever see a player deliberately betray their team...

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 01, 2013, 09:29:08 pm »

I wouldn't mind if I play with a team that has 4 major blesses.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 01, 2013, 09:51:22 pm »

Alas you can't betray your own team. I literally don't think the mechanics allow it.

In regards to a bless team... I might be interested. Really I'm looking forward to trying everything. Used to be all about scales and big armies for me but recent games have led me to reconsider. I've been playing a few single player games, taking bad scales (even death) and really high astral and death magic lately and it's kind of fun looking for ways to creatively utilize less troops and more creative national magic to beat back the hordes of enemy nations set to the highest difficulties. It's... really hard early on but once you get a good foothold on territory it can devolve into a really easy game.

Still with actual human players, I'm curious how it would work. I figure the lack of early game expansion might be balanced by easier access to late game stuff. Usually I feel uncomfortable going with bless nations but that could be fun too.

Palazzo and other experienced players, share your knowledge with us! What's your general guide line(s) for playing a successful game?
Sure thing peanut man!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 01, 2013, 10:40:15 pm »

The quad-bless thing is doable, and a master lich or dragon sporting that is a scary thing... but it'd be hard with humans on a medium+ map, as you're essentially taking Ermor-style scales (and a dormant pretender) to afford it. You're throwing all your hopes into a blitz. Beyond the awful-and-getting-worse income, you're going to get the worst of the devs' recent efforts to make sure bad scales have teeth, event-wise, so you don't exactly have a long game to work with.

Still, it's entertaining to churn out the nightmare sacreds with Mictlan or a giant nation, hehehe...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2013, 01:32:14 am »

Alas you can't betray your own team. I literally don't think the mechanics allow it.

I'm sure Il Palazzo can find a way to betray his team, game mechanics be damned.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2013, 09:09:08 pm »

For dominions generally:
Have a strategy of sorts for the long-term.  Make sure you can expand to at least 10 provinces within the first year or so- figure out how your nation can effectively expand, and ensure one of those strategies is enabled.  (ie, for Yomi, I dislike their gold-expensive troops for early expansion, so I started with a SC pretender) and have at least one midgame strategy and lategame strategy in mind.  Have an idea of how you might counter the most common early strats, or at least blunt them. (astral nation with no significant SC counters?  Research horror mark.  Now you've got a deterrent, if not an effective weapon.) Research and gems are somewhat more important than gold later on, but gold has its uses.  After that, play dynamically, not too conservatively, or you will fall further behind.  Don't give up from setbacks, and shift your guns.  For fighting any player that you can't take out in one go (and you usually won't be able to do so) have more than one strategy planned, as a player can make hanging on to the same one very expensive.  Surprising your opponent with an innovative strategy can be helpful, and at a certain point, you might even start researching specific spells specifically to deal with certain threats - like MindHunt to deal with a non-astral invader, or witherbones v. Ermor or c'tis.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 02, 2013, 10:34:39 pm »

Horrors got nerfed. :'(

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 02, 2013, 10:54:50 pm »

Many of them are worse.  Some of them are better.  I do agree that they won't kill off an SC nearly as effectively anymore.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 02, 2013, 11:28:39 pm »

PC crashed. Give me 24 hours please.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 39