Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39

Author Topic: Dom3 Round 15 - Game in Progress  (Read 52721 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dom3 Round 15 - Game in Progress
« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2013, 04:14:36 pm »

LLaPoB felt a tug in his gut. At first, he thought that was the after effects of the 12 Days of Caelian Festivity, but it was different. As if both a crisis has been averted and accelerated.
He knew. Calling together the Eagle Kings and the few Seraphine (one has lost his eyesight after eyeballing too much eggnog) into his chamber. Folding their wings and sitting themselves upon the armchairs of snow, they listened intently for it must be news truly dire.
"Gentlemen...Ermor has fallen."
Gasps errupted from the congregation and then devolved into arguing.
"The first empire!"
"Destroyed completely-"
"Truly it must be lies spread by their spies...
"-those foul magics like those loathsome Harabs!"
LLaPoB raised his hand and took a bite from his flaming Jaguar taco.
"SWILLENS!" he mumbled, and a sharp smell of ozone and flecks of cheesy meat permeated the frozen chamber.
"ETS TWOO! URMOAR HAS FALLN." He paused for a moment to wipe his mouth on his robe. "It's true, Ermor has fallen. We need to plan accordingly, and accelerate our research efforts." He waved his hand again, and the air and frost condensed into a miniature thundercloud. "But it won't be long now..."

This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2013, 10:00:30 pm »

The Seeker finally cornered Ctalou alone in the workshop beneath his tower after a tedious two days of stalking him throughout the city. The old mage did not look pleased when she slipped through the door, but nor did he rebuke her or chase her out. Glancing once more into the corridor to assure herself they were alone, she whispered the question she was charged with.

"Is it true? The human kingdom on the northern shore has fallen?"

Ctalou resumed working the coral before him. "It is," he croaked softly. "But it was not the Usurper's doing. You can tell the Council that I am sure of this. I have seen no further sign of He Who Shall Not Be Named."

The young Seeker hissed angrily. "You're sure? You sit in this dank pit of basalt, yet you're sure of what transpires half a world away? The Council will not accept that answer. We know He has risen. You would have us believe that the fall of ancient Ermor so soon after was coincidence?"

Ctalou heaved his shoulders in a dismissive gesture the Seeker knew well from her time beyond the shores. The old shambler was a strange one, even for a mage. He had not traveled as widely as some of the reef dwellers, but he was still sometimes shockingly human in his mannerisms. A quirk of his age, she supposed. She waited. After a few minutes more of tinkering with the unformed mass of coral on his worktable, he gave a croaking sigh, and spoke once more.

"It
was a coincidence. I have read the entrails of a dozen sharks, and all were clear that He is not in the north. Ermor fell to hubris and the dragon-king of Yomi. Tell the Council I would - indeed, I do - stake my life on it. Tell them to keep their eyes fixed on the near enemy, and cease worrying about the Usurper. It was never His way to move so openly. Now go, and do not return this month. I have seen deep ones skulking about this district more and more this winter..."

The young Seeker made a quick bow and quickly departed the coral tower. The Council would not be pleased with his message, but that was not her problem. After a few moments' pause to be sure no agent of Church or crown was watching the gate of the King-in-waiting's cramped tower, she slipped out into the darkness and lost herself in the city.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:22:10 pm by E. Albright »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2013, 07:12:32 pm »

I miss un-AI empowered Lanka.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2013, 08:24:58 pm »

Classification: DECLASSIFIED
Codename: 9 Volt
Proposal:
Our researchers have been experimenting with the amplification and projection of electricity through the manipulation of highly ionized gas. We believe that we can recreate lightning that can strike both accurately and long distances.
Project Report:
Simply called the Lightning Bolt, this spell involves negatively ionizing a column of air approximately 30 meters above the target. This creates an artificial pathway for both positive ascending and negative descending ions from the air, allowing a strong current to be established that lasts several milliseconds.   It is not necessarily "true" lightning, but this spell recreates its destructive force quite effectively. Also, while this is not an elementary cantrip, this spell can be cast efficiently in conjunction with the spell "Storm Power", as the abundance of ionized air allows much material to work with...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:01:56 pm by Mrhappyface »
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2013, 12:58:37 pm »

Classification: DECLASSIFIED
Codename: Pinion
Proposal:
Our researchers have been experimenting with the application of air diamonds to lighten heavy loads. One theory is that this can be applied to armor that would otherwise restrict easy spellcasting.
Project Report:
Called the "Feather Scale" the armor works on similar principles to the research tool "Owl Quill". By cutting the diamond through bursts of heavy electrical current, the fragments are then woven in between the chain links of the armor after the initial forging. The weight has been proven to not only been successfully canceled by the application of the air gems,  but actually conferring some of its weightless properties to the wearer. It is nonetheless quite effective for spellcasting as it offer much more protection that a simple robe. However, the sudden increase in freedom of movement may be disconcerting at first and requires some training to become used to it. It has been noted that the armor has minimal usefulness upon mounted troops, as the armor does not confer its properties beyond its wearer.

These X-COMesque info blurbs are fun.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:07:31 pm by Mrhappyface »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2013, 03:36:35 am »

I can see Akhier is doing his Great Wall-mart of China routine again.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:08:37 am by Il Palazzo »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #231 on: September 23, 2013, 04:15:07 am »

No, I can't do that with this age because it lacks the mage with all random magic picks. This is a similar but different tactic.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2013, 01:34:01 pm »

Happy Adventures in Jome!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:35:42 pm by Mrhappyface »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2013, 05:01:30 am »

-"RRRAAAGH!!! FIRRRE! KILL! GRAAA!!!" screamed Tovagrog.
-"O.k., stop it, stop it. I get what you mean." said Margrael. "Was that really how we used to do it?"
-"By all means, the recollections are quite vivid, my friend - hold on" the Burning One paused to dispatch another unnamed Hellheimian serf with a lazy swing of his morningstar "As I was saying, we seem to have done things differently back home."
-"Golly, by Jeff, you might be right. Must be something about the weather."
-"What, the unheat?"
-"Yeah, it makes us drowsy. And, I don't know, mellow." Margrael kicked aside charred remains of a huskarl, "And what's that white stuff anyway?"
-"Haven't you listened during the orientation meeting? It's why we're fighting this war. To stop its unchecked proliferation."
-"Dreadfull stuff. Makes everything look so... monochrome."
Across the battlefield, a squad of militia started to rout.
-"Oh, hey, what are these guys doing? Why are they running the wrong way?"
-"Maybe they forgot something, how should I know? That's that priest's bunch, aren't they?"
-"Yeah. Look how funny they look wading through the white stuff."
-"That was at least mildly racist. There's no reason to bellitle these folks just because they can't radiate heat..."
The conversation continued lazily throughout the day.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2013, 11:17:30 am »

"So, what's on the agenda, then?" asked Supreme Overlord Jones.
"Well, there's the ongoing crushing of Lanka to the southeast, a few uppity peasants pissed off that we keep stealing their virgins, and, um, the completely unprovoked attacks from Abysia in the southwest." replied Silicara, his amazonian priestess.
"Let's start from the top then, what's going on in La-... Wait. Unprovoked attacks from Abysia? Are they being rude again? I hate personal attacks."
"Uhm, no. It's more legions of them marching across our lands, maiming and burning all the provincial defenders they could find."
"Oh. I don't suppose we've sent them a polite message asking them to stop?"
"Not yet, oh Lord. Our efforts so far have been devoted to... well... we haven't made any efforts yet."
"Well, let's sort that out, hey? First up, tell that chap we have stationed on the roof of wossname's palace to leave them a note asking them to stop, and then let's start martialling some defences."

"There is another issue, Lord. The opinion polls are in, and the majority of foreigners seem to agree that 'Supreme Overlord Jones' is a rather aggressive and worrying name."
"I know it is, damnit, but 'respects agreed upon borders and doesn't start unwarranted wars for no reason Jones' really doesn't have the same ring to it, however damn true it is."

"Say, what is wossname's name anyway?"
"Reports all say he calls himself Jeff, Lord."
"Oh. Do you remember if he had a son?"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 11:20:37 am by Burnt Pies »
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #235 on: September 25, 2013, 01:08:12 am »

The game has been hopping along. Glad to see that once we cleared up all the stalling the game became quite active again though I must admit I am sad to see its the only active game on Bay12 at the moment. Though technically 14 still alive even if its doing its best impression of Han Solo.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 25, 2013, 02:37:44 am »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 25, 2013, 04:59:30 am »

-"A missive from Mr Jones! A missive!" cried the chancellor bursting into Jeff's office.
-"GIVE IT TO ME RIGHT NOW!" shouted the Divine sage, knocking down his chair as he rose.
But it was too late. A handful of ashes, pleasantly aglow with the last of flickering flames was all that remained of what might once have been an exquisite scroll. No doubt bearing important news. "Thank you." Jeff's voice was more resigned than sarcastic. "That'll be what, fifth this month? Perhaps you could run a tiny bit faster next time?"
-"But M'lord! The faster I run the faster it burns."
-"Hmm. Perhaps you could try walking slowly?" pondered the god.
-"We've tried that already. Didn't work."
-"Damn. Wait, maybe the emissary knows what was in it?"
-"It might be difficult to find out. He died of heatstroke in our guest chambers."
-"Oh, for the love of me! We really need to figure out how to solve this issue. My fantastic powers of diplomacy will go to waste if I won't be able to talk with anyone but the fishmen."
-"About that, here's a note from the Big Fish. Just arrived." said the chancellor handing over a coral tablet, a bit charred at the edges.
-"Now that's technology, if you ask me. That's the problem solving attitude. That's the engineering spirit." mused the Lord of Abysia as he scanned the lines carved into the tablet. "Very good. Everything appears to be in order. Get me the Atlantean emissary, I want him to carry a message for me."
-"Eh, M'lord, it might be difficult. He died..."
-"...of heatstroke?" sighed Jeff. "We really need to build some accomodations for these guys."
For the time being, the sage decided to turn his mind to more immediate matters: "So, what's for supper?"
-"Huskarl&horse casserolle and fried fish."
-"Well, that's at least one bright side to it all right there."

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 25, 2013, 08:10:43 am »

The High Priest of the Sun was worried as he climbed the steps up the Great Pyramid. While the other nations of the world encroached on his own small nation, the continual sacrifices had done nothing more than extend the dominion of his master. As he knelt before the bloody altar and his attendants brought forth a sacrifice he prayed for a sign. When the heart upon the brazier's coals he received the answer he sought. Immediately the smoke from the heart filled the room with darkness and he heard a deep rumbling growl. Blinking, there was a shifting of a great weight before him and he dropped to his knees.

"Speak your name priest." Commanded a dry voice.

"Omacatl Lord Cain! Your servant!"

"My servant you are, but Cain I am not. He has sent me to you as herald, seer and prophet. I am to prepare these lands to receive Him."

The priest immediately prostrated himself on the floor. "Your commands are His great Lord! How shall we know you?"

He felt another great shifting before him and then was blinded by dazzling light that swept away the darkness. "Raise your eyes and gaze upon me. I am called Bhudev and will be from this point on, your master."

Omacatl looked up and blinked taking a moment to get used to the light and gasped. Before him curled around the altar sat a great Serpent of the Sun.

-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 25, 2013, 08:12:21 am »

Neighbors of the double A alliance beware!  Quite a dangerous alliance, that should be squashed before it divides the world between them.

Il Palazzo, famous winner of all but one Dom3 game on this forum.

E. Albright, that guy that actually defeated Il Palazzo.

Beware!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39