Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72268 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Airship Combat: Rocket man.
« Reply #705 on: August 16, 2013, 10:47:45 am »

YO! Hey Piecewise, would this be considered a valid ship?

Spoiler: Bottom Deck (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mid Ship (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Top Deck (click to show/hide)

Behold the powers of insomnia!
No clue on the cost of that thing, by the way.

It looks pretty good. Though there are a few minor things:

1.Don't run walls through modules, like ya did with the constriction bola and the engines and such.

2.The hovercore and lodestones don't need power

3. You have a lot of ammo dumps. Right now, you really only need one. In the finished game you'll probably need more, depending on the amount of ammo you have, but for now one will do.

4. The constriction bola needs to be powered. If you look in the modules section it should say which pieces need power somewhere in their description or under "Special"

Other then that, with a quick look, it looks fine. Good job.

Care to guess what mu first idea was?

If you guessed "making an Airship Enterprise", you were right!

What all needs power and such?
The things that need power should say so. For instance, the constriction bola says it requires power under the "special" section of it's description. Beyond weapons; engines mostly.

Reading the manual now, so I'm putting things here as I see them.

Only two types of engines?  I wouldn't mind seeing high speed low weight "racer" engines or the reverse "freight" engines.

Remember- if your ship is hit by bolas, aim for the balls.

Yeah, I intend to add more types of engines. Like I said when I posted this; this module list is far from complete. It's just enough to let you guys build ships for the test.

By the way, I'm considering how much to give you guys for the test. I'm thinking about 60,000-70,000 money to construct your ships. 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 16, 2013, 02:29:05 pm »

Alright. Let's get this party started.

The Airship Combatprize is comprised (hah!) of four sections and two connector thingies. These connect the two Engine Sections to the Engineering Section and are composed of a single level of a single space with a single ladder in each.
The Combatprize is composed entirely of metal.

Spoiler: Plans: Blueprint (click to show/hide)
Given the wonders of mental math, some may be off.
Spoiler: Plans: Budget (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #707 on: August 16, 2013, 05:32:20 pm »

Alright. Let's get this party started.

The Airship Combatprize is comprised (hah!) of four sections and two connector thingies. These connect the two Engine Sections to the Engineering Section and are composed of a single level of a single space with a single ladder in each.
The Combatprize is composed entirely of metal.

Spoiler: Plans: Blueprint (click to show/hide)
Given the wonders of mental math, some may be off.
Spoiler: Plans: Budget (click to show/hide)

Some problems, with just the blueprint.

1.I need the layers split up into separate images. I can't use an alpha numeric grid if all the levels are on the same image. 

2. I'm not sure exactly how these images stack up. From what I can tell you have a giant circular section here that you say is the cockpit area, but it's practically as big as the airstrip, contains an edited cockpit module that's missing it's walls, which you're not supposed to do.

3. The engine section, which is done incorrectly, has it's engines inside it's walls. So they're basically functioning as nothing but giant fans right now. Giant fans dangerously close to that ladder.

4.I'm assuming that airstrip is on the top most level, which means that the hover cores are too. Which means that they're sitting on the deck, completely exposed.

5. Your ammo dumps are hanging off the edge, which isn't allowed either.

6.Also, ammo dumps explode when they are destroyed, so putting them on the upper most level; next to missile launchers which also explode when they're destroyed may be a bad idea. That and they're both next to the hover cores.

I haven't checked the other stats and stuff, but you might want to change up the design before I do. Take a look at mastahcheese's blueprints; they're pretty much correct, minus a few small errors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 16, 2013, 07:11:37 pm »

1. Sorry about the blueprints. If I ever intend to make it seriously, I'll do that, but I don't particularly care at this point as more than a vague drawing board.

2. I didn't intend to remove the walls. And if I care enough about this I'll make sure the proportions work.

3. Oh. Noted.

4. I was imagining the skiff flying out the front...which is blocked by that Tesla arc. Huh.
Are any craft capable of landing in a covered hangar of some kind?

5. I was intending for them to be within the ship, being on enough floor for the dumps to be on.

6. When did I say I was intending this for a serious battle? If it gets used and explodes in a glorious fireball, all the better.
...Can you include rules for unusually massive explosions damaging nearby airships?

I'll do so when I make a ship more polished in concept and such than "Ship shaped kinda like the USS Enterprise".
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: August 16, 2013, 10:28:39 pm »

Actually, with the talk of exploding rockets, one of the things I realized about my ship design was that, what with all the unneeded ammo dumps next to rockets, if a single mortar shell burst through the wooden top deck and onto the middle deck before it exploded, it'd be the Hindenburg Part 2.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 16, 2013, 11:19:24 pm »

Hmmmm...

I have so many ideas to make it more complex/more customizable! Damn you brain!

A calibur system for cannons. A rotating module that weapons can be placed on top of, but takes up space on the floor below. Cannons that have multiple barrels like the artillery guns we see on ships today. More types of engines. More uses for clockwork or steam power. 'Crystal' power. A docking system for really big airships to carry smaller airships inside of them. Etc.

On another note, the format the modules are listed in is very clumsy. Just doing each of them as a paragraph may be easier to read, with the stats below them.

I'm still trying to work out the calibur system, right now. I'm trying to make it so that larger cannons are slightly more efficient in terms of DPS, but tend to be shorter ranged, easier to damage(due to size and all), etc.

I WANT TO MAKE ALL OF THE GAMES ARGH
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #711 on: August 17, 2013, 08:27:15 am »

1. Sorry about the blueprints. If I ever intend to make it seriously, I'll do that, but I don't particularly care at this point as more than a vague drawing board.

2. I didn't intend to remove the walls. And if I care enough about this I'll make sure the proportions work.

3. Oh. Noted.

4. I was imagining the skiff flying out the front...which is blocked by that Tesla arc. Huh.
Are any craft capable of landing in a covered hangar of some kind?

5. I was intending for them to be within the ship, being on enough floor for the dumps to be on.

6. When did I say I was intending this for a serious battle? If it gets used and explodes in a glorious fireball, all the better.
...Can you include rules for unusually massive explosions damaging nearby airships?

I'll do so when I make a ship more polished in concept and such than "Ship shaped kinda like the USS Enterprise".
Yeah, you could have any of the planes land inside the ship as long as you leave a hole in the wall for them to take off and land through. It would be harder for your pilots, but at least their planes wouldn't get shredded on deck.

Point 5, yeah, thats what I figured. But if you want to do that you'll have to have a wall around it somehow. It could be right up against it, but it's still gotta be there.

Sorry, I think I took your ship a bit too seriously. I didn't realize you were just posting a rough, experimental creation rather then a finished product.

Hmmmm...

I have so many ideas to make it more complex/more customizable! Damn you brain!

A calibur system for cannons. A rotating module that weapons can be placed on top of, but takes up space on the floor below. Cannons that have multiple barrels like the artillery guns we see on ships today. More types of engines. More uses for clockwork or steam power. 'Crystal' power. A docking system for really big airships to carry smaller airships inside of them. Etc.

On another note, the format the modules are listed in is very clumsy. Just doing each of them as a paragraph may be easier to read, with the stats below them.

I'm still trying to work out the calibur system, right now. I'm trying to make it so that larger cannons are slightly more efficient in terms of DPS, but tend to be shorter ranged, easier to damage(due to size and all), etc.

I WANT TO MAKE ALL OF THE GAMES ARGH
Yeah, cael talked to me about how my text needs better formatting. really, I just keep things in tables to keep them nice and neatly separated, but I'll redo it later. Hell, I'll even post examples of ways to do it and you guys can pick which looks best.

A lot of the things your saying are possible with more modules, which I'll add.  Like I said, this isn't the final list, this is just a small group for the purposes of testing. There will be more uses and more of everything in the finished version. In fact, after the airship test I'm going to open things up for suggestions about what you guys want to see in terms of more modules.

The rotating mount was something I considered too, but it would basically need to come in a variety of sizes and take multiple levels, especially for the bigger guns. I don't want somebody just sticking the giant cannon on a tiny little mount and then murdering everyone.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 17, 2013, 09:09:17 am »

While I consider a more serious, less flawed plan for a ship:'

Have you considered my suggestion of large explosions affecting nearby (possibly just adjacent) ships?
Sig

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #713 on: August 17, 2013, 09:38:20 am »

While I consider a more serious, less flawed plan for a ship:'

Have you considered my suggestion of large explosions affecting nearby (possibly just adjacent) ships?

I'll look into it, but it seems like a perfectly valid suggestion. It would make sense that something big enough would throw debris out that could hit nearby ships. I'll just need to think of a way to do it where people won't just be weaponizing it. Make a ship thats just a bunch of ammo dumps on the end of sticks, using the explosion to hurl shrapnel at their attackers.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 17, 2013, 09:39:25 am »

I'd say that deliberately exploding your ship to hurt enemy ships should be its own consequence.
Sig

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #715 on: August 17, 2013, 11:40:08 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moe fires a gout of flame over towards Cromwell, but Cromwell just stands safely behind cover and continues to smoke, changing from halberd back to rocket launcher.

Too bad I don't have a dagger, or I'd put my move as "Cut out his small intestine and jump rope with it."

Full auto finish him off, 6/2

Place Shotgun barrel under chin. Gurgle "Toaster, I am your father! Search your feelings, you know it to be true." Then pull my loaded shotgun's trigger. If I can't talk, pull the trigger anyway. Then have my ghost gleefully inform him of it
Just read the construction manual. Holy-freaking-moley.
Toastarrr and Dave both fire at the same time; succeeding in their dual goal of making Dave a very dead man. However, dave's shot wins for sheer splatter factor.

Hey toaster, you up for another round of combat against a new challenger or do you want to bow out and let two new people fight?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 17, 2013, 01:51:44 pm »

I'd be up for more, but I'll let someone else go ahead if they're ready.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 17, 2013, 01:53:47 pm »

Moe points out Cromwell was listed as only having a single rocket as ammo.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 17, 2013, 02:16:28 pm »

He can still slap you with it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 17, 2013, 03:34:39 pm »

Well done Toaster. I should have fired my shotgun at you, but I want to go out in an awesome fashion. Brain splatter + Darth Vader: Search your feelings. You know it to be cool.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 55