Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 72390 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2013, 02:42:33 am »

Answers:

Also #1: Machine guns have unlimited range. I don't know where you got the three tiles from, but we've been shooting at you fromturn 1.

Also #2: Unlimited, but harder to hit at long distances.

Also #3: "T" stands for target. It is how many successes to need to succeed. The next thing stands for dice available (stats+skills). The next thing stands for how many successes you rolled.

Also #4: It was already confirmed.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2013, 05:30:19 am »

How about mortar weapons on the deck as an alternative/in addition to machine guns? Seems theme appropriate.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2013, 08:02:37 am »

Herp and derp.  It's easy to mix up port and starrrboard.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2013, 08:20:44 am »

((The flu has apparently decided to divorce from me and I am catching up on all I've missed. I accept the commentator spot if that is still open.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
  • What's the worst that can happen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2013, 08:45:14 am »

Red

As for our movement, I'd advise we move 45 degrees right and three forward, as we will have a perfect shot to their back, and they wont be able to hit us with anything.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2013, 09:14:29 am »

Excellent idea! Now where's my action?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2013, 09:29:56 am »

Uh, GreatWyrmGold...  In your action you said turn left, not right.  That would take us even further away :S

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2013, 10:02:26 am »

It looks left on the map!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2013, 11:21:20 am »

...I get a strong feeling that our movement in this game will be limited to circling around each other, since turning away from the enemy would be catastrophic and turning to the enemy will prompt the same reaction from him.

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2013, 11:26:11 am »

Well, that will probably be our movement until either side gets injured or decides to pull an awesome manoeuvre.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2013, 11:33:59 am »

Which reminds me of an idea I had: Different types of airships.

Balloons, for instance, would be smaller but more easily moved. I think they'd need some engines or something, as well as guns of course, but the concept should work. They'd likely be cheap due to not needing expensive components like lodestones, but would be slow (as noted) and fragile due to the unprotected envelope.
To go more with the WWI idea, little biplane fighters that could be launched off the decks of the big airships would be neat. They'd be in between balloons and airships in maneuverability (maybe up to 90 degrees of turns per turn?) and faster than either, but they can't hover and don't have more than one gun. They'd also be limited to one or maybe two crewmembers, and of course no cannons. Oh, and they'd go down with a strong hit. Good for bigger airships.
A modification of the drop-pod idea might be boarding rockets, which would have space for a pilot and a few "marines". Speed comparable to or greater than the planes but minimal maneuverability, probably needing to roll to turn 45 degrees.

Of course, some of these might need to wait until we had enough players to have massive battlestars fighting small fleets or something like that.
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2013, 02:41:56 pm »

...I get a strong feeling that our movement in this game will be limited to circling around each other, since turning away from the enemy would be catastrophic and turning to the enemy will prompt the same reaction from him.

Once ships start having different arrangements of guns, and guns on swivel mounts, things will get more interesting.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2013, 03:16:46 pm »

Suggestion to all pilots! We use coordinates instead of left/right!

Red

As for our movement, I'd advise we move 45 degrees right and three forward, as we will have a perfect shot to their back, and they wont be able to hit us with anything.
That's kind of what I have been saying to GreatWyrm. I don't know why he didn't do it before.

Also, Baloons suck in combat. The only reason for their existance, is to gain range and view for the ground troops. Once you have other (stable) aircraft, there is no reason to have them.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:20:51 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

draco1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2013, 06:03:31 pm »

An idea for customisation would be reinforced plates.  So for example you could add reinforced plates to the left side, meaning that the successes of anyone shooting it are one less (so they need one more success to do the same thing) but to make up for this, you need one more success than normal when piloting due to the increased weight.  You could also do the opposite and put lighter armour on certain sides, meaning you are weaker on that side, but it's easier to fly.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2013, 07:24:46 pm »

Red

That's kind of what I have been saying to GreatWyrm. I don't know why he didn't do it before.
I wasn't sure what you meant.

Also, Baloons suck in combat. The only reason for their existance, is to gain range and view for the ground troops. Once you have other (stable) aircraft, there is no reason to have them.
Airships, let alone wooden ones, aren't exactly practical either...besides, the baloons would be more support craft.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 55