Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 70

Author Topic: The Lonely Prince: He Who Shall Serve  (Read 190950 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: The Lonely Prince, Day One: A Prince walks into a bar. . .
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2013, 02:40:27 am »

Princess Wuba
Is this supposed to be related to anything that actually happened or...?

Overall, I guess you probably shouldn't do it if you can help it.
No, I rather think the point of these questions should be to relate to things that might happen.

Princess Ottofairy
What is scummier-- parking your vote or moving your vote rapidly?

Princess Solifuge
On what condition, if any, would you tie the vote near the day's end?

Princess Groovester
How certain are you that the lessons you're learning are the right ones?
I ask myself, is my current understanding of the game leading me to be a better player? I'd say so, but you will all be the judge of that as the game progresses. One trouble in drawing too many wide-ranging conclusions is the very heterodox nature of my mafia playing experience-- what has worked in one game may not necessarilly translate into another, especially when matters are complicated by unusual roles or wincons. Have you learned any recent lessons? Do you disagree starkly with any of mine?

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2013, 02:48:31 am »

Lady Griffionday sighed as she walked into the hall.  The poor castle seemed so bare an cold without the proper arrayments.  In her minds eye she could see the tapestries that must have hung on the walls, noted the absence of the rich rugs and carpets that surely had once softened the cold stone floor.  Such a shame, and such a sorry place for an engagement to take place.  Perhaps she could find the prince's man servant, and have him show her the removed decor to temporarily grace the place till whomever the prince chose could select fitting replacements. 

Possibly even this could be something all the women of the house could participate in, each selecting one piece of decor to grace the hall with, so that the prince could judge the more subtle aspects of his prospective bride, and how they will create a home for him.  Yes, this idea had merit, she would go find the prince's servant as soon as politeness allowed to suggest this course of action.

Turning to survey her fellow brides, she noted that fairness was not a quality these women pretended to, ever one of them could claim to that title.  They were truly a beautiful lot, smooth hair the color of golden wheat, rich brown, and jet black.  She caught a flash of red hair and felt a hint of envy, which she quickly smothered embarrassed that she would be so unseemly to be jealous of one of her peers.

She turned and began to mingle her way through the crowd, searching for the prince's man servant whom she might be able to convince about letting them have turns returning some decor to the castle, to better suit the festive mood such an occasion should have.

Tiruin:
Target: Would pick on who I perceive and feel has put sincere and thorough effort into making a case. An active one, and on the basis of meta, probably Vector and/or Toaster. But meta is on least priority here.
Tracker: Same conditions apply here as a Doctor.
Rolecop: Same conditions apply here as a Doctor, with the addition of me targeting those who make the pointiest case.
Strongest player as town: I have no idea. Who do you think is town? :I If I were to assume everyone here as town, it'd be Vector.
Do you know something we don't, dear?  Why would some harpy who is merely after his money kill him before the ceremony?

Solifuge:
You propose there's someone here against her will, who doesn't wish for the Prince's hand? It's plausible, I suppose... but what harm is there in keeping them around? They're as likely to aid those with honest intentions as not, no? Moreover, unless they are actively trying to ruin others, I should think it'd be a simple enough matter to come to an agreement that met their ends, as well as ours. Such are not our adversaries.
Why would someone who wishes to be here not subject herself to the danger of an untimely death?  Would not such a one pester her sisters in trial to cast her out and into her freedom?  I feel you may be projecting too much meaning onto Lady Okami's words, possibly from an inner turmoil towards the courtship of the Prince?

*Lady Griffionday softly clicks her tongue*
My dearest Lady NQT
NQT:
Princess Griffionday
I'll be blunt: what is your aim in this game?
To not be bloody lead around by my nose like an idiot like I have been in all my previous games.  What about yourself?
I asked you a most simple question, and yet you neglected to provide an answer.  Perchance you never really cared about your original question, that you did not pursue the answer with any scrutiny?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2013, 03:02:31 am »

Lady Griffionday
My dearest Lady NQT
NQT:
Princess Griffionday
To not be bloody lead around by my nose like an idiot like I have been in all my previous games.  What about yourself?
I asked you a most simple question, and yet you neglected to provide an answer.  Perchance you never really cared about your original question, that you did not pursue the answer with any scrutiny?
No offense or neglect intended. A genuine oversight swiftly rectified. (I'm at work reading mafia through a much-reduced window, so it's possible but uncommon for things to be missed).

To answer: my aim in the sense in which you took my question is the same as always: to improve and to win. And I will always try to win. What will you do to move towards preventing yourself from being misled?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2013, 04:57:22 am »

Who's the fairest of them all?

Aureliusz Vektor is probably the most impartial party in this shindig.

:I
Well..it does pay to check that some of us RP as how we see ourselves.

And I'm far from fair-skinned. :P

...But really, does the physical characteristics matter here [pertaining to role], Princess Ji? [Yes I get the reference there, but am curious.]

Griffy (I can still call you Griffy right? Or do you prefer another nickname for this game?)
Tiruin:
Target: Would pick on who I perceive and feel has put sincere and thorough effort into making a case. An active one, and on the basis of meta, probably Vector and/or Toaster. But meta is on least priority here.
Rolecop: Same conditions apply here as a Doctor, with the addition of me targeting those who make the pointiest case.
Strongest player as town: I have no idea. Who do you think is town? :I If I were to assume everyone here as town, it'd be Vector.
Do you know something we don't, dear?  Why would some harpy who is merely after his money kill him before the ceremony?
You missed part of the context added:
If not: Jim. Because he has a systematic form of how he follows and creates cases, aims for long term goals, and is especially snarky in a likeable way.
I added in Vector because the questions asked to me were general (and Vector is really my choice despite the category being 'player'). No, I've no idea if Vector herself is playing the game, but I'm just adding that in (note the substituting other person in my answers) because..well, because I really like Vector's playstyle and her writing style.

So yeah. I guess my opinion on Vector is something I know that you don't, but now you know it.

And my query:

Lady Griffionday
My dearest Lady NQT
NQT:
Princess Griffionday
No offense or neglect intended. A genuine oversight swiftly rectified. (I'm at work reading mafia through a much-reduced window, so it's possible but uncommon for things to be missed).

To answer: my aim in the sense in which you took my question is the same as always: to improve and to win. And I will always try to win. What will you do to move towards preventing yourself from being misled?
of all the people present, Why Lady Na'Quithere, and the bluntness?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2013, 08:09:18 am »

Quote from: notquitethere link=topic=128261.msg4490311#msg4490311 [color=red
Princess Ottofairy[/color]
Why do you do this?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2013, 08:36:20 am »

Ranger:
You are a cop and confirmed a townie Night 1.

This is not confirmation, given that things like godfathers and non-sane cops exist.  "Confirmed" is a strong word in the Mafia context, and shouldn't be used lightly.

Toaster: I would rather have a confirmed Townie, for the simple reason that I have someone whos opinion I can see is not filled with ill intent and is honest. Knowing my allies seems a better plan to me unless i'm at deaths door, then a confirmed scum player would be more useful as a parting word.

I asked about cults to get a conversation going and to judge reactions to an unorthodox question this early in the game. Finding a strange answer to that question was unlikely, but better to try and see where it gets you than not.

Fair enough.

NQT:
Princess Toaster
Do you still see value personally in doing vote analysis if no one else seems to care?
Yes, it's a useful tool for me, especially in getting a feel for teams. It becomes more useful the longer a game goes on. I've personally found the alignment of at least six players in three different games this way. So I'll keep doing it but I'll try to look for more supporting reasons if I'm trying to convince others to lynch scum that I've found using my methods.

Also fair enough.  When are you likely to post it instead of just use it personally?

Solifuge:
I completely understand if you couldn't make out what I was saying. After all, I was speaking with Lady Lenglon.

I did see that, but I was wondering if there was anything more.  Guess not.

Jim:
Toaster, what's your interest in Solifuge RPing or not?

Mostly just curiosity, but it does show how personally invested into the game he is.

As far as your scumtell bit, fair enough.

Griffinpup:  What is your goal in RVS?

Webadict:  Since you're so interested in dress color, what would you do if someone proposed a dress color claim?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2013, 08:58:29 am »

Princess Wuba
Quote from: webadict
Quote from: notquitethere
Why do you do this?
Do what? Ask a reasonable RVS question in the RVS stage? Or should I not direct questions to people that I'm playing against in other games? Is that poor mafia-etiquette? I'm not holding any inter-game grudge, Ottofar has as much chance of being town in this game as any other and he's not even the first person I've voted this game. It's hard to think of any mafia-relevant question that would be useful and also couldn't also be read as commentary on another game. If you're accusing me of something then come out with it.

Princess Toaster
Also fair enough.  When are you likely to post it instead of just use it personally?
When it's compellingness is difficult even for skeptics to deny. Like, if after four days it had transpired that a player had never used their vote or only voted the vote-lead and so on.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2013, 09:55:46 am »

Webadict:  Since you're so interested in dress color, what would you do if someone proposed a dress color claim?
I would laugh as everyone claims white. Simple as that.

Princess Wuba
Quote from: webadict
Quote from: notquitethere
Why do you do this?
Do what? Ask a reasonable RVS question in the RVS stage? Or should I not direct questions to people that I'm playing against in other games? Is that poor mafia-etiquette? I'm not holding any inter-game grudge, Ottofar has as much chance of being town in this game as any other and he's not even the first person I've voted this game. It's hard to think of any mafia-relevant question that would be useful and also couldn't also be read as commentary on another game. If you're accusing me of something then come out with it.
No, I mean why did you unvote your previous target, but is there something about Ottofar that means you shouldn't vote him?

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2013, 10:20:50 am »

NQT

Princess Ottofairy

Depends on the case. If there are reasons to let the vote lie, if the player sees any kind of jump or other scumminess parking can be viable. Throwing the vote everywhere for a whole day doesn't seem too effective, at least to me, in any case.

Solifuge
Huh. Though you needn't give any details, are any of you familiar with this Goddess? If so, are you able to tell the rest of us anything about her? It may be important.

On another note, Lady Ottofar... why are you so quiet? You were present only long enough to insult and accuse Lady Cado... you even ignored her reply! Concealing yourself behind the mien of an investigator, before skulking away... I must ask you to explain yourself.

"Oh, my, how rude of me. Apologies to everyone involved! I suffered from a terrible headache and had to retire into my chambers for a time."

That's to say, I was in a hurry then.

Tiruin
I love the mystery flavor. It's so vanilla.

"Hello, Tiruin, dearest. Might I inquire, what do you call the shade of color on the dress you wear? It's lovely."
'Shade of color. Shade of c-color. I suppose this is a shade..Great. Well, white is a blend of all colors..so I can't say it's a shade. Lieh-light seems to work. White is a blend of all colors...um.'

"White."

'Dammit.'

"What about you, Princess
Otto I feel like there's something you're meaning there."

"Oh, not at all, why, I just absolutely adore the colour. I would very much like to order some of the shade myself, when I get to a clothier's myself!"

LS
Leafsnail: Everytime I claim early, I get lynched. So no, I will not claim day 1 no matter my role or alignment because I will get killed for WIFOM... and no one start bugging me about that please, I get it, It was stupid. Who do you believe would be the three deadliest Mafia members together and why?
That's a fair position to take (millers are a bit different to cops though)

"Hello, Tiruin, dearest. Might I inquire, what do you call the shade of color on the dress you wear? It's lovely."

Rangercado, "What makes an upstart like yourself think she's worthy of our prince?
Neither of these questions seem very helpful.  What were you trying to achieve?
[/i]

Reactions, what else is there?

RangerCado, what's the proper way to work out a 6-player MyLo? What about a 4-player one?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2013, 12:23:24 pm »

Quote from:  Okami No Rei
RangerCado - Would you rather be a vigilante, or have a two-shot daykill?
Okami: ...Now thats just playing with my Emotions right there. :P Anyway, I think I would rather have a two-shot day kill than be a vigilante. I've never been too good at the night game and abilities that can be used during the day are quite useful, especially if your on the chopping block and you want to kill your top scum picks. Day- kills are also harder to track if you mis-judge your target. To put it short, I trust my Day game more than my night game, and I find a two-shot daykill more useful because of it being a day-kill.

Quote from:  Solifuge
Huh. Though you needn't give any details, are any of you familiar with this Goddess? If so, are you able to tell the rest of us anything about her? It may be important.
It was mentioned in my flavor briefely, but no real details that I can figure out... except that there may be more than one... it was a bit vague on that part.

RangerCado
You always seem to leave me with a lot to answer Tiruin, so lets see If I can do the same. If you were the doctor, how would you pick your target during the night? How about as a tracker? And the Mafia Rolecop as well? And who do you believe is the strongest player as town in this game?
...You do know that I appreciate that detail. :D

Because hail to the prince, sir.

If not: Jim. Because he has a systematic form of how he follows and creates cases, aims for long term goals, and is especially snarky in a likeable way.

Everyone loves Jim Groovester.

[...To Toaster]
I asked about cults to get a conversation going and to judge reactions to an unorthodox question this early in the game. Finding a strange answer to that question was unlikely, but better to try and see where it gets you than not.
...Why ask about cults in the first place?
Hmm... All seems normal answers. And why ask about cults, because of the reason in the quote. Unlikely to get a slip up, but forth a shot and it gets the conversation going. It really just came to mind as I was thinking of questions and reasons to ask them. Is there a problem with asking about cults.

Ranger:
You are a cop and confirmed a townie Night 1.
This is not confirmation, given that things like godfathers and non-sane cops exist.  "Confirmed" is a strong word in the Mafia context, and shouldn't be used lightly.
Fair enough, though it was easier in the context of the question to say it was confirmed.

RangerCado, what's the proper way to work out a 6-player MyLo? What about a 4-player one?
If I understand the question right, your asking how to know if its MyLo or not. For this game, if we killed a single scum player and any harmful third-parties, but no one else, we would concievably be at 6-player MyLo when we got to 6-players. The same goes if we killed 2 scum players and harmful third-parties before we got to 4-players. This is all assuming that there are only 3 scum which seems a decent estimate given the number of players.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2013, 03:39:28 pm »

sorry about delays, yesterday was crazy.

"I was hoping to learn what you thought of these initial formalities, they have confused me for a long time and I don't have as much faith in my ability to work my way through them. They seem so... so meaningless. I'm not even sure what we're supposed to be looking for during them. Still, I figured I'd try my best to take part, and it seemed like asking you what you thought of this 'phase' would be an adequate way to participate, although I suspect there are better ways."
"Lady NQT, I don't truely understand what you're asking me. You want to know if I plan on acting differently, but I'm not sure what I'd be acting different from. I don't feel like I've been to enough of these events to settle down in a set pattern or rhythm. I still have to learn, to grow, to keep striving to improve and make myself better. That is no different from any of the previous times I've been in these situations, so I suppose I'll act similarly, but it is still a flexible stance, and I fully intend to learn and change during my stay."
"Lady Ranger, you seemed so unsure of yourself that I was worried you would stop trusting your own views and feelings and do nothing but follow the crowd. You need to have faith in yourself, your instincts are there to protect you, use them. remember that a conspiracy can easily create a false impression of what the crowd wants simply by working together. you cannot trust such things blindly. You must make up your own mind, and make your own decisions, if you want to keep yourself and your prince safe."

"Why are you asking me this by the way?"
Tiruin: quotes added
Tiruin: RVS question
Princess Lenglon
Are you going to try anything different in your approach to this game?
NQT: Different formatting, otherwise no?
Why do you seem to think I would not try scumhunt normally? Or at all if I understand the meaning of your question?
Ranger: you said you didn't trust your own reads

NQT: different from what?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2013, 03:45:03 pm »

Lenglon: I don't trust my reads enough on my own. During the day though if someone is lynched with my vote, obviously others agreed with my read and helped make it more valid when the person lynched. Its all a psychological thing for me.
[/quote]

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2013, 06:15:49 pm »

...But really, does the physical characteristics matter here [pertaining to role], Princess Ji? [Yes I get the reference there, but am curious.]

No, but you tell me I'm a princess and I'm competing with a bunch of other princesses, and you can bet I'm going to want to know if I'm the prettiest one.

Forsooth milady nevermore yap yap I'm being proper

Making yourself easy to understand is a virtue, you know. I just barely understood what you were trying to say in this post.

It would be nice if you talked in typical mafia game terms instead of RP terms so I don't have to waste time interpreting your properesque speak.

Oh, and hey, you know how Vector says mafia hide behind RP to fill space or avoid scumhunting or other scummy things, right? What do you think of that?

ROLEPLAY

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

I hope you haven't made any good points because my patience for reading through your posts has dropped from 'Ugh no' levels, past 'Hell no' levels, to nearly 'Oh hell no' levels.

Have you learned any recent lessons? Do you disagree starkly with any of mine?

Yes.
  • I have been gone from playing a long time.
  • People do not like it when I mention this.
I don't really disagree with any of your lessons, except the one where you said people might not believe you about your vote analysis. It's probably more likely that they don't care, they don't see it as relevant, or you're coming off negatively in some other way, than they just don't believe you.

Day- kills are also harder to track if you mis-judge your target.

I like how ways to hide are important to you when answering these random assortments of questions.

RangerCado, I suspect you are scum.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2013, 06:37:30 pm »

Such an odd question...

Why ask it?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2013, 06:39:19 pm »

Day- kills are also harder to track if you mis-judge your target.

I like how ways to hide are important to you when answering these random assortments of questions.

RangerCado, I suspect you are scum.
Jim: ...That was thoroughly taken out of context. Regardless, I see where your coming from. But lets look at it like this, if you get tracked by a townie killing someone, their are going to try and get you lynched. If your a townie when this happens, the town wastes a lynch on you, and Mafia get even closer to their goal than they already were when you mis-killed someone in the first place.

I also find it strange that your vote goes to me without any questions or further evidence. What else have I done that you find scummy?
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 70