Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Middle Eastern/Central Asian Politics Megathread  (Read 19308 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Eastern/Central Asian Politics Megathread
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2014, 10:34:25 am »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/14/turkish-jets-bombard-kurdish-positions-pkk
This why "the ISIS zone" has become a total and unmitigated clusterfuck.

You have Turkey fighting the Kurds, who are fighting ISIS, who are fighting Assad in Syria, who the Turks want gone, but not more than they want the Kurds gone. So you have this fucked-up situation of an ostensibly secular Turkey standing on the sidelines and letting ISIS massacre the Kurds, because it's the time-honored tradition of "let my two enemies fight each other and then I'll finish off the winner".

You also have "coalition" partners like the Saudis who are kinda scared of ISIS, but just as scared of a Shi'ite-dominated Iraq and the Shi'ite militia forces which are fighting ISIS in the south of Iraq. And Iranian troops fighting ISIS in the east of Iraq, in loose "we're not coordinating in the same way that SuperPACs don't coordinate" coordination with US airstrikes.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend's enemy, so we're friends until we're enemies and then we're friends again. Unless we're not.

@burningpet: At the same time, the Turks have very justified reasons for going after the PKK. Couple of decades of carbombs and drive-by grenade attacks in Ankara and elsewhere kind of put the kibosh on dialogue. The Kurds have no moral high ground to stand on, whether it be the PKK, the KDP or the KUP.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2014, 11:12:38 am »

Meanwhile, Iraq:

Things looking grim in Anbar province. I'm not an expert on this field but as far as I understand it, Anbar is incredibly important as it is one of the biggest provinces and also connects to Baghdad, so any setback there means big trouble.
Iraqi city falls to ISIL as army withdraws

Meanwhile, sectarian violence just keeps on rising.
Iraqi Shia militias accused of murder spree

Unrelated, Yemen remains far from stable.
Houthi rebels seize parts of Yemeni port city

Good thing mid-east topic lives again, I was tempted to start one myself.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2014, 12:19:35 pm »

There is an ISIS specific thread.  But yea, I reckon it fits here too.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2014, 12:20:31 pm »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/14/turkish-jets-bombard-kurdish-positions-pkk

You have Turkey fighting the Kurds, who are fighting ISIS, who are fighting Assad in Syria, who the Turks want gone, but not more than they want the Kurds gone. So you have this fucked-up situation of an ostensibly secular Turkey standing on the sidelines and letting ISIS massacre the Kurds, because it's the time-honored tradition of "let my two enemies fight each other and then I'll finish off the winner".

I am not sure i see the Fucked Upness of the situation.

Turkey is against Assad. Turkey is against the Kurds. Turkey is pro sunni islam.
Daesh is against Assad. Daesh is against the Kurds. Daesh is pro sunni islam.
Turkey give/gave free passage to Daesh members.
Daesh frees Turkish hostages unharmed.
Turkey and Daesh trade oil.

The only thing that could have made that a fucked up situation is if turkey was actually secular and not ostensibly secular.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2014, 01:35:02 pm »

There is an ISIS specific thread.  But yea, I reckon it fits here too.
Ah. Crap, forgot about that one.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2014, 07:15:22 pm »

I am not sure i see the Fucked Upness of the situation.

Turkey is against Assad. Turkey is against the Kurds. Turkey is pro sunni islam.
Daesh is against Assad. Daesh is against the Kurds. Daesh is pro sunni islam.
Turkey give/gave free passage to Daesh members.
Daesh frees Turkish hostages unharmed.
Turkey and Daesh trade oil.

The only thing that could have made that a fucked up situation is if turkey was actually secular and not ostensibly secular.
Turkey is also against ISIS, at least by their rhetoric and popular opinion. Turkey isn't winning any friends in the region right now, because all the international focus on Kobani has made ample video of Turkish forces standing by doing nothing when they're supposed to be part of this anti-ISIS coalition.

You also can't honestly think that ISIS would stop at the Turkish border if they take full control of Iraq and Syria.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2014, 12:57:08 pm »

Well, Turkey just doesn't really care about ISIS right now, they just hope it'll get NATO dragged in so they can attack Assad.

They actually called for a no-flight zone a couple weeks ago "To help Kobane". No shit.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2014, 01:09:09 pm »

Those are Iraqis Kurds they're letting in, not Turkish Kurds. There is an ongoing rivalty between the KDP and PKK for leadership of the overall Kurdish community, and Turkey had good relations with the KDP for a while.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2014, 03:52:16 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/palestinian-convicted-interfering-israeli-army-135453080.html
Israel continues to violate human rights
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2014, 02:30:28 pm »

Well, weeding out the peaceful leaders is a pretty effective tactic...  This guy probably has no real dirt on him, so he gets the kangaroo court.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2014, 03:02:46 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/palestinian-convicted-interfering-israeli-army-135453080.html
Israel continues to violate human rights
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd take this "violation of human rights" over the real human rights violations committed by 80%+ of the current members of the human rights council AND the palestinians themselves.

And here i was thinking this thread got bumped because a palestinian terrorist just killed an israeli baby in cold blood.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/israel-bolsters-sinai-border-after-missile-attack-on-military-patrol/2014/10/22/a8ca5880-59f6-11e4-8264-deed989ae9a2_story.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 03:06:51 pm by burningpet »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2014, 03:43:51 pm »

I love how a guy ramming his car in a crowd, killing a baby become "Terrorist killing a baby in cold blood" in burningpet's word. The wording is priceless.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »

Could also have been a lone wolf so to speak, not affiliated with any terrorist group (which is apparently Netanyhus automatic conclusion that every attack is by a terrorist group) and just been a palestinian who was angry and got fed up with everything and simply lashed out. Then again, the article says that he had been jailed before for being involved in terrorist activities.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2014, 03:58:05 pm »

I love how a guy ramming his car in a crowd, killing a baby become "Terrorist killing a baby in cold blood" in burningpet's word. The wording is priceless.

He was a convicted terrorist. he killed a baby in cold blood. the fact he tried to also kill other people should not make it less monstrous, on the contrary (:o). my wording here is perfect.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18