Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Stalker – Community RPG Game  (Read 26719 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stalker – Community RPG Game
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2013, 05:52:55 am »

You're better off just using bolts or other tiny pieces of metal when you suspect an anomaly is near.

1) As an inexperienced stalker, would you bet your life on your ability to correctly predict when an anomaly is near? I wouldn't.
2) No tactile feedback on a thrown item
3) Less information from a thrown item. For example, let's say you've confirmed an anomaly, but you don't know what it does. If you stick your broom stick in, pull it out and tip of the broomstick is warm or cold to the touch, or is an inch shorter, or trips your geiger counter that's useful information. How do you do that with a bolt that you threw on the ground and is now 5-10 feet away from you?
4) Slow and limited field of coverage on a thrown item. If you suspect there's an anomaly-edge somewhere within a 20 by 20 foot area, a stick can easily be moved around while you walk. That seems much simpler to me that throwing a bolt every couple feet.
5) The stick method does allow for constant "minesweeping" as you call it for the entire length of the trip, and I see no reason to not do it. Whereas I'm not sure it would be practical or convenient to bring enough bolts to throw them into your path every step of the way for a two day trip, and/or stop to pick them up every time you throw.
6) The stick method is vastly superior in conditions of poor lighting. If you can't see the bolt, it doesn't do you much good. You can feel the stick even if you're blind.
7) Remember that anomaly edges are not necessarily flat planes at 90 degrees to the ground. What if the anomaly begins 5 feet above the ground? So you throw your bolt at arm height, nothing happens to it so you walk right in and lose your head. A stick can easily be moved around wherever you want it.

We could conceivably address some of the above using bolts instead of sticks by tying a bolt to the end of string and swinging it. And if people would prefer to do that instead of use sticks, I'm ok with that, though I think a stick would be much less tiring than swinging figure 8s with a string for hours at a time. If metal is required, we could easily wrap a stick in aluminum foil and get the best of both worlds.

But I get the impression that your objection is motivated by aesthetics, not practicality. You'd feel silly doing what I'm describing.

You feeling silly is not my problem.

It simply won't do to try minesweeping every area you come through.

Why not?

anomaly detectors

Hermes: Do such things exist? Because I'm doing a text search through my PDF version of the manual, and no such item is listed.

All anomalies have warning signs as well, so you'll see or hear them before you trigger them.

Hermes: is this true here? Or is GUNINANRUNIN describing only the PC version of the game?

All anomalies have warning signs as well, so you'll see or hear them before you trigger them. And if you're
close enough to trigger an anomaly with a broom handle? Well, frankly, you're going to get hurt anyways.

Again, are you talking about the PC game or the RPG? Because what you're saying doesn't match the description I'm seeing in the manual. For example, a Mosquito Mange wouldn't give any visible or auditory indication of its presence, but the stick method I'm proposing would definitely locate it because you'd feel the end of your stick suddenly get heavier. A Painting anomaly would give no auditory indication, and might or might not give visual indication depending on what was in it, as well as humidity and dust conditions, but either way the stick method would definitely detect it because the stick would become fixed in space shortly after entry.

Yes, thrown bolts would also detect these anomalies...but only if you're throwing one ahead of you every couple seconds as you walk. I don't think that's practical.

Scooters could be useful, but you have to consider that they'll only work well on even ground, and that even if you get a chance to use it, when you're not using it you'll need to carry it.

They're light, and easily carried over a shoulder. I suggest we let Marcus decide whether he wants to bring one, since he's the one who's going to get stuck trying to keep pace with people half his age and in much better physical condition.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2013, 06:19:41 am »

Oh my. Yes I was going by the PC version. I couldn't be bothered to purchase a PDF just for this game.

I still stand by the fact that minesweeping would really slow you guys down, and that getting that close to anomalies is really dangerous.

Detectors aren't in this?

But yeah, most (all?) anomalies have obvious warning signs.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:59:50 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2013, 06:50:43 am »

Tyler seeing as everyone is now free to roam exits the hotel, wether any of his "companions" follow him is beyond him. He has a few thoughts, memorizing the map. 

Alright. I could go to the night club, sounds like fun. But we do need some weapons....I guess I'll go to the outdoors store first. See whats around.

And goes to the outdoors store.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2013, 07:19:59 am »

anomaly detectors

Hermes: Do such things exist? Because I'm doing a text search through my PDF version of the manual, and no such item is listed.

There are no universal anomaly detectors.  Some may emit EM radiation in one part of the spectrum, or some other exotic particles, and some may emit nothing.  A gieger counter would detect some.  IR goggles might detect others.  And so on. 

Some corporations or the Institute, you can bet, are working on something that can detect a common denominator in all Zone anomalies.

A low tech solution of whatever kind is the best catch all, but some anomalies will get through or cause trouble.  There will be no insta-death.  If someone triggers an anomaly, depending on the manner in which they walked into it they will suffer some consequences and the team will have a chance to react before it becomes lethal, if it is lethal at all.

All anomalies have warning signs as well, so you'll see or hear them before you trigger them.

Hermes: is this true here? Or is GUNINANRUNIN describing only the PC version of the game?

Almost all will have some warning sign, usually they will require the players to notice their presence in descriptions or by anomalous effects on surroundings.  It would be unfair to slap a meatgrinder on someone out of nowhere.  However, the manner in which the team proceeds will be important here.  Running down the street at full tilt could result in an anomaly hitting you without warning.

Tyler seeing as everyone is now free to roam exits the hotel, wether any of his "companions" follow him is beyond him. He has a few thoughts, memorizing the map. 

Alright. I could go to the night club, sounds like fun. But we do need some weapons....I guess I'll go to the outdoors store first. See whats around.

And goes to the outdoors store.

What are you taking, and how much money, Tyler?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2013, 07:50:18 am »

Alexei

"Before we split up, I suggest we share cellphone numbers."

Make mine available to anyone in the party who wants it, and collect same from anyone willing to give theirs.

"Before approaching the zone tomorrow I recommend everyone remove batteries from your phones to prevent celltowers from tracking us obviously approaching it then disappearing, but simply walking around Sapporo should be ok."

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2013, 09:05:01 am »

Everything I have on me, so my backpack, and as much money as I have. But I wont need money.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2013, 09:58:47 am »

Everything I have on me, so my backpack, and as much money as I have. But I wont need money.

OK.  You have $2000 in cash from the expenses money and the advance for purchasing equipment.  From here on in, all challenges shall be resolved according to the rules of the game.  See second post in the thread for an example of a challenge.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:01:20 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2013, 10:23:53 am »

Tyler looks around the store, looking for any useful equipment for being in the zone.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2013, 10:58:51 am »

TURN 03 - Tyler - 18:55

Tyler walks the streets alone with his shoulder-slung bag, his hoodie up and hands in jeans pockets.  His sneakers get wetter and wetter in the sludge snow on the sidewalk.  When he arrives outside Togusa Outdoor Supplies after a few minutes he's shivering and miserable with damp socks.

Inside is a large, bright family looking store.  They have aisles and aisles of outdoor and camping equipment.  There are several tills though there is only one staff member on them.  Tyler can see about half a dozen shoppers milling about, though there are certainly more than that scattered over the large shop floor.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:56:29 am by hermes »

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2013, 11:37:32 am »

Go to the desk and ask if they have any hiking boots in stock.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2013, 11:51:27 am »

Go to the desk and ask if they have any hiking boots in stock.

Young man at the desk, about the same age as Tyler, says, "Ah, sumimasen, Eigo wa tyotto.. wakaranai desu kedo... doushiyou kanaa.."  He looks rather confused and seems to be searching for someone, maybe his manager, but no other staff are around.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:53:15 am by hermes »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2013, 11:57:30 am »

You have $2000 in cash from the expenses money and the advance for purchasing equipment.

Does everybody have $2000 cash, or only Tyler? I'm roughly planning out what I want to buy ahead of time.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2013, 12:04:50 pm »

Yes, everyone has been given that money since arriving at the hotel.  The doctor would also have some cash for his vacation, perhaps.  Chinese Yuan?  Canadian dollars?  Probably not useful until changed at a bank.   :(

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2013, 12:09:58 pm »

Yeah, he'd have some Chinese Yaun on hand (and about 20 bucks for when he gets back home), but I don't see a moneychanger/bank on the map and Marcus isn't going to go wandering around a foreign city to find one.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2013, 07:18:13 pm »

Have to say, loving the references hermes! Also, that map is awesome, poor quality indeed :p

Quick question though: are we assuming everyone has a cell phone, or only people who specifically said they had one? Anyways...

Corban

After returning to his room to collect his bag, exits the hotel wearing a wooly jumper over a t-shirt, and cargo pants along with some boots. Squeezing the packet of money he has against his thigh in his pocket, he ponders upon what he might need for tomorrow, mumbling to himself.

Warm clothes, something to sleep in. Weapons, maybe..? A few days there... A little food, something to drink... Man, 6am? Way too early...

Heads towards Togusa Outdoor Supplies

Edit for moneys.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:21:40 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14