Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Stalker – Community RPG Game  (Read 26674 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Stalker – Community RPG Game
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2013, 09:10:42 am »

Silently sit down and watch.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2013, 09:31:59 am »

Marcus shrugs slightly and takes his seat.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2013, 02:44:44 am »

Alexei

one of them and the business man walk to the head of the table, the gangster sits
down but the businessman suddenly finds no appropriate chair so stands to one side.

Hmm. I know this game. But only one of them sat down?

In that case...assuming the table is narrow enough that there is only one seat at each end, then both to the immediate left and right of the person who sat down at the head of the table there will be a corner chair that is perpendicular to him.

Of those two chairs, take the one that is furthest from the door

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2013, 08:53:57 am »

So having given The13thRonin time to play/get in touch I have unfortunately heard nothing, so let's continue and get you guys on the path to a horrible death, without Jack Fitzpatrick.  If the Ronin would like to take up again at a later date, let me know and I'll see what we can do.

TURN 02 Continued...

Corban sits down easily, and eyes Jack who remains standing, seemingly oblivious to the danger he's in.  The American speaker doesn't have to say or gesture a word, the gangsters know that his request should have been followed.  About six or seven of them walk up to Jack, quite quickly, and everyone else around the table braces for what their eyes would forecast to be a typhoon.  A rather violent battle breaks out, and Kasumi had to leap out of her chair on at least two occasions to avoid being swept up.  Jack is, after several minutes of the party and host watching in silence, and after three more gangsters joined in, removed from the room leaving a trail of blood.  His machete is buried in a wall on the far side of the room.  Everyone watches as the door closes politely, and then they look at each other.  The American speaker resumes,

“Ahh.  Sorry about that.  Do not worry, your acquaintance Mr. Fitzpatrick will awake sometime tomorrow, somewhere in the city, with considerably less memory of this day than we would like to retain of him.  Did you see what he did to the front door?”  The businessman standing behind, handkerchief still covering his mouth, nods unconsciously whilst staring at nowhere.

“Anyway, let's begin, right?  Some would wish to thank you for making the trip to this meeting," at which point the doors click open and the chauffeur walks in quickly, and another foreigner, a medium built lad with white skin and medium length black hair waits in the open doorway.  The chauffeur and the lawyer whisper a bit, then they beckon the young man to sit down.  He walks over and sits at the table with the other Stalkers.  The chauffeur leaves silently.

"How lucky we are today!" the lawyer exclaims, looking oddly happy.  "Well, perhaps.  Let us not waste that luck.  This is Mr. Tyler Stye who shall also be joining you.  My colleague has been keeping an eye on flights all day, and Mr. Stye here is a known scout.  You are just in time, Mr. Stye, we were just coming to the meat of the business.  Where were we?  Thanks.  Some people would like to thank you all and they acknowledge your politeness and trust in doing so with no assurances.  And Dr. Jekyll, they would apologise for the manner of your arrival, and hope that you shall remain for the full duration of the tour.”  He sits up straighter now, and looks everyone in the eye when talking.

“The aforementioned party would task your group to enter the Japan Zone with the aim of recovering an Artefact from a town not more than ten kilometers from the border.  Should you accept, you will be provided with money to procure supplies, transportation to the Door leaving from this hotel at six am tomorrow morning,  guaranteed passage for entrance and exit at that Door, and upon that party's receipt of the Artefact a payment of $10,000 each.
“The Artefact required is known about, indeed was previously recovered from the Zone but has found its way back there again.  It is located in the town of Yuubari, here.”

He unhurriedly draws a sketch map on the legal pad, puts down his pen and rotates the map for everyone to see.

“As you can see, Yuubari is a little way from Sapporo.  The transportation, by van, will take approximately one hour.  The Door is at Shimizusawa, here, which is where the van will stop.  There is an Institute checkpoint there, one hundred meters from the Zone perimeter, but you shall have permission to pass, to enter and exit.
“As for once in Yuubari, it is believed the Artefact is located within the city hall, according to this map here.”

He pulls a photocopied map from his breast pocket, unfolds it and lays it out.

The salaryman leans forward to see it, and exclaims,

“Aa!  Kore wa!  Doko de mitsuketta ka?”
The lawyer says suddenly loudly, ”Damare, Yamada san.”  The salaryman shrinks back, but says quietly,
”Ano, watashi no namae wo tsukawanaide kudasai.”  The lawyer turns to him and half stands up out of the seat.  Even half out he is already taller than the business man, who takes a step back and lowers his head.

“This is a post-Visitation map of the town,” he resumes calmly.  You think he is well practised in admonishing people.  “It is said to have been drawn approximately one year ago.  Expert opinion has it that though the map is not great it does provide enough landmarks to navigate to the city hall.  From Shimizusawa the road north leads you to the road at the bottom of this map, near the station, here.  See?  Said opinion reckons it should take just one day to the town, and one day back.  You should know, however, that a year in the Japan Zone is a long time, so even this map may contain errors.”

He leans back,  “There you have it.  Well, the bare bones of it at least.  A relatively simple retrieval mission, lasting not more than one, perhaps two, nights.  Guaranteed entrance and exit and payment on receipt.  I shall let you discuss this amongst yourselves, for you must all agree to this.  If you have any questions, please ask.”

What do you do?

NOTES
  • Door is Stalker slang for the entrance/exit to and from the Zone.  It may be a sewer, a broken fence or an unguarded mountain pass, for example.
  • The market value of Artefacts, as advised in the Stalker manual, is ridiculously low.  The cheapest artefact, for example a Pin, which is supposedly quite common, a thin cone that emits light when squeezed, sells for 100-1000 Euros.  The most desired by researchers might sell for 10,000 Euros or more.  This in a country where, even during the IRL economic recession, company management still squanders thousands of dollars on parties and golf.  Not to mention that the cost of a basic vacation abroad would cost more than a So-so (an artefact with an inexhaustible electric charge at both ends) seems a little strange.  One night at karaoke can cost more than a miraculous object of scientific wonder.  So I have inflated the prices of artefacts, the base offer of the mission, and some shop prices for weapons and equipment.  Mainly just so travel and other living expenses make sense.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:02:26 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2013, 09:03:45 am »

takes a seat, listening to the conversation and racking through the information in his head.

"Is there any more info you can squander about the area?"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:21 am »

"It's the zone you're talking about. Any info that's even somewhat old is unreliable, given the zone's nature. I highly suspect that this apparently clear and easy route is going to be harder than it looks..." Kasumi replies, looking over the map closely.

"How do we get in contact with you if something doesn't go according to plan?"

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2013, 09:27:18 am »

"Is there any more info you can squander about the area?"

Lawyer:  Ms. Himashi is correct.  Knowledge of any area in the Japan zone is transient, Mr. Stye.  In general, I mean pre-Visitation wise, the Yuubari city district was a run down ex-coal mining town.  The river, I believe marked on the map here, cuts a valley with wooded sides.  Now, there are Shifts.  Perhaps you do not know of them?  Moving pockets of time and space... distortions.  Unique perhaps to the Japan Zone.  They constantly reshape the land and craft their own maps anew.  This particular area is far from the Reiriku, the Ghost Land, though.  So the conditions are not nearly as unfavorable as they might seem or could be.  It will be cold, very cold, that you can guarantee.

"How do we get in contact with you if something doesn't go according to plan?"

Lawyer:  Hmm.  Once in the Zone, you will be on your own.  The only way to contact... myself will be through the guards at the Shimizusawa checkpoint.  They will know you, your party's number, your names and your faces.  When they see you, I shall be informed.  I personally have no experience of the Zones and do not wish to.  To contact me whilst in the Zone would be pointless, and from what I've heard close to impossible anyhow.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2013, 09:33:49 am »

Kasumi nodded in understanding. "Makes sense, given what I've heard about the zone. Of course the place isn't going to make it easy on us...

I'm curious about how this job even came to be in the first place though... How did this artefact return into the zone? Was it stolen by a group or something? Anyone in particular that we need to watch out for, given that we are on your employee list?"

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »

The businessman pats his brow again and looks at the lawyer, waiting on his response.  It looks like he wants to say something, but doesn't.

Lawyer:  An important question.  Mr. Yamada's company had previously contracted a man to retrieve Artefacts from certain places in the Japan Zone.  Which he did.  Then, for reasons unknown to Mr. Yamada's employers, this man - probably the same man, for they cannot be sure - proceeded to steal them back and replace them.  Place them back in the Zone.  He is the source of this map.  He has since disappeared.  Some believe he is now, as impossible as it sounds, living in the zone.  He is not, however considered dangerous.

The businessman seems satisfied with the answer and looks easier at the group.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2013, 10:12:33 pm »

Alexei Konovalov

Jack who remains standing, seemingly oblivious to the danger he's in.  The American speaker doesn't
have to say or gesture a word, the gangsters know that his request should have been followed.

Personally I'd have interpreted it to mean that he was announcing to the world that he was just a grunt and not a decision maker. The low ranking yakuza didn't sit either.

The Artefact required is known about, indeed was previously recovered

"Could we get a description of the artefact? I'd like to know what we're looking for so we can stop looking when we find it."

contracted a man to retrieve Artefacts from certain places in the Japan Zone

"He did this solo? Or as part of a team?"

If he was contracted to solo the zone...presumably he well established as a very experienced stalker already familiar with this part of the zone. Which to me seems somewhat contrary to "not considered dangerous." Not dangerous by disposition, maybe. But not by capability.

this man - probably the same man, for they cannot be sure

"Could we get a name and picture?"

We'd better hope it's the same man. If somebody else stole it, it seems unlikely the somebody else they can't even be sure who it is would be able to return it to where it was originally found a year prior. And if it was somebody else who wasn't even there returning it to its "rightful place"...that implies some seriously Twilight Zone mind manipulation/control going on.

Share these concerns

If we have an experienced stalker familiar with the zone and living in it...returning artefacts to their original locations...I'm not going to just hope that he won't mind if we come in and take it. Or even, for that matter..that he's still entirely human.

steal them back and replace them

"'Them' plural? So this single man who is not considered dangerous has been stealing multiple artefacts from what I can only assume was a secure facility, fully a year after he acquired them for you in the first place. How exactly did he manage this? Is it only those he acquired for you that have been stolen or are there others he might still come back for? And what is it about this particular artefact that you're especially interested in having it alone returned to you?"

"What reason you do have to believe that he's returning them to where they were found? I can understand that he might have been seen by the border guard going back in...but if he's an experienced stalker familiar with this zone, if he simply wanted to steal them it would be an obvious thing for him to go back in to eliminate his trail then simply exit elsewhere."

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2013, 07:56:04 am »

"Could we get a description of the artefact? I'd like to know what we're looking for so we can stop looking when we find it."

Lawyer:  Yes, of course, this is information you will most certainly need!  The Artefact, called the Yuubari Artefact, looks like a black-green lump of coal.  It is about fist sized [he bunches up a large fist with his right hand and gestures] and is as dense as coal is.  It emits nothing and is quite non-lethal, so you need not have any reservations about retrieving it.

"He did this solo? Or as part of a team?"

The salaryman moves to the lawyer who senses the approach and raises a hand in dismissal.  He then raises both hands apologetically.
Lawyer:  We cannot say.  We cannot, unfortunately, provide you information about past missions.  You need not worry, though.  He is, by nature, not a killer.

"Could we get a name and picture?"

Lawyer:  Again, I'm sorry.  Such information is sensitive, and frankly speaking none of your concern.  You have our assurance that if, however unlikely, you were to encounter this man, the, um, five of you would have no problem.

"'Them' plural? So this single man who is not considered dangerous has been stealing multiple artefacts from what I can only assume was a secure facility, fully a year after he acquired them for you in the first place. How exactly did he manage this? Is it only those he acquired for you that have been stolen or are there others he might still come back for? And what is it about this particular artefact that you're especially interested in having it alone returned to you?"

The lawyer sighs slowly.
Lawyer:  OK.  Let me tell you this.  The man in question has, researchers believe, become... affected by the Zone in some manner, or come into posession of some..thing or other that has given him... how can I say?  Certain advantages?  We're not sure what, but it meant that a man in his position, with the knowledge he had, was able to steal a number of items... easily.  This particular Artefact was the subject of extensive xenological research, at huge expense to Mr. Yamada's company.  They would like to finish that research to recoup their investment.  This much is known on the streets of Sapporo.

"What reason you do have to believe that he's returning them to where they were found? I can understand that he might have been seen by the border guard going back in...but if he's an experienced stalker familiar with this zone, if he simply wanted to steal them it would be an obvious thing for him to go back in to eliminate his trail then simply exit elsewhere."

Lawyer:  We know he's returning the Artefacts, to exactly where he found them, because A he told everyone that was what he was going to do and B some of the Artefacts have already been re-recovered and they were indeed where his maps originally located them.  He doesn't seem bothered that we might know where the Artefacts are.  It seems, some have speculated, to be a game for him.  Make of that what you will.  Personally, I don't think games can be played in the Zone.  If anyone is playing, it's the Zone itself.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2013, 11:40:30 am »

Marcus coughs politely and looks embarassed.

"Er, excuse me for a moment, but how will we know that we have the artifact and not a similar looking rock?"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2013, 02:06:31 pm »

"And for that matter, we are going to need equipment for travelling in the zone even somewhat safely. Where can we get what we need?" Kasumi interrupts.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2013, 11:59:10 pm »

Marcus coughs politely and looks embarassed.

"Er, excuse me for a moment, but how will we know that we have the artifact and not a similar looking rock?"

When Marcus talks, moves his mouth, he feels a sharp pain from the raw nerve of his broken tooth.  He suspects that eating or drinking could be agony.

Lawyer:  It is quite unique.  And probably in a place of prominence within the city hall.  Just like digging around inside a patient for a cancer I would assume, doctor.  You'll know it when you see it.

"And for that matter, we are going to need equipment for travelling in the zone even somewhat safely. Where can we get what we need?" Kasumi interrupts.

Lawyer:  Yes!  Well, if this pleasant talk is coming to a close, perhaps we can take it that you accept the mission?  In which case...

He gestures to a man at the door who leaves the room and returns just a moment later with the chauffeur, who brings in his arms several thick envelopes that he places on the table in front of each of you.  Inside each you find $1000 in various denomination bills.

Lawyer:  Here is the money promised to cover the purchase of necessary equipment.  Along with the money from your travel expenses and any that which you brought with you, you should have no trouble finding supplies in the night markets.  The time is still early and the van to the Door leaves before sunrise, so would you like to be off?  The quicker we conclude business here, the more you may rest up before entering the Zone.  What do you say?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2013, 03:01:09 am »

You'll know it when you see it.

"What does it do?"

Not really expecting an answer. This question has been asked twice now, less directly, and been answered with evasions both times. Obviously there's a lot they're not telling us, but I'm starting to get the impression that asking more questions won't generate more answers.

If nobody else has anything else they'd like to ask, I'm ok with moving along.

Unrelated, could we get a currency clarification? Personally, I submitted my character assuming euos, this is Japan so I've been thinking in yen, but the actual bills we're seeing in-game are apparently USD. Is this something we're handwaving?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14