Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64703 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #255 on: December 16, 2015, 07:15:21 pm »

I for one am not arguing that it won't happen. I'm sure something will come of the money and effort. Whether that product will be all they have promised is what I question. I'm quite content to wait and see though.

It is actually VERY unlikely there won't be anything. There is already a nice size part of the game out (to me its a nice size, at least for an early alpha). And they have so many employees and cash.

HOWEVER...the SAME thing with Kingdoms of Amalur...

remember that game anyone? It was supposed to be an MMORPG, they had HUGE funding (massive government funding), a HUGE team of employees and they DID promise a lot. The singleplayer game came out (think they ran out of money and had to get an extra boost with the singleplayer game) and it was actually really fun, just bad timing with Skyrim being recently released (or still fresh in peoples minds anyway), but the owner of the KoA company very badly mismanaged the funds, and they had a ton of money as far as I recall. They definitely had a massive team making the game, with top notch developers.

I do kind of see the same happening with SC as KoA in a little bit of a way (the fans AND haters both act the same way as they did in KoA also, which is kinda creepy how similar they act(ed) toward both games), but I still put in 30 dollars because hey its a great offer and its only 30 dollars. And I do really hope the game is (like I said in a previous post) even 50% of what it says to be because even that would be great (at least to me). And again, the MMORPG genre is so stale and boring that WoW is still the only MMORPG that is any good. Sure its not as good as it was, but that says a lot about other MMORPGs lol. Well EVE is really good too, so only WoW and EVE...if SC is any good at all, it would be a great benefit to the genre and game industry in general.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 16, 2015, 07:37:24 pm »

Ah KoA... TBH i want to reinstall it now as it is a really good game. Pity the difficulty scaling is... quite simply out of whack and turns into a cakewalk quite fast. Alas they didn't stay afloat to patch it.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 16, 2015, 07:50:34 pm »

Ah KoA... TBH i want to reinstall it now as it is a really good game. Pity the difficulty scaling is... quite simply out of whack and turns into a cakewalk quite fast. Alas they didn't stay afloat to patch it.

it definitely was a ton of fun. It didn't really do as good because Skyrim was the big name in the RPG world at the time, and everyone always compared it to Skyrim which didn't really help at all. But I might install it again too :P I played through it once, and it could definitely have used a couple or few patches to balance/fix things...but so much fun.

Really as far as SC being released or not is if they manage the money decently. They have a HUGE balance, and a ton of employees...but that doesn't mean much all the time. Hence the KoA example. I do really hope they end up making a good game though.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 16, 2015, 09:41:43 pm »

first, i would not worry to much at this point. big games have a long developement time, and not bein nailed to a deadline is excactly the difference between a studio working for a publisher, and a project founded without one.

still, of course there are risks. it would not be the first time a game got stuck in a developement cycle of doom. the risk is quite significant espeicially for games that5 need a good graphic to sell (or in this case, please the backers).
the problem is, if a game takes very long, by the time its (almost) finished the graphic could look bad, forcing the artists to do a large part of the game all over again. duke nukem 3d is a prominent game that got stuck in such a cycle, so is stalker. many games got just canceled and noone even remembers them, or just released unfinished and everybody will remember them forever (rip sots)
again, i would not worry to much - especially as this game is so well founded and they do have the means just to throw massive manpower at the project.
still, an ambitions project like sc - which is supposed to have stellar graphics on release - seems to be the perfect candidate for such a disaster scenario.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 17, 2015, 01:36:27 am »

I think the biggest thing that gives me faith that this will be a good game is a fact that seems to be the lead guys dream (akin to Toady and DF). they already have planned out 3 squadron 42 standalone story based single player installments to be played alongside the main star citizen game with plans to expand and develop more single player games in the same sort of universe if those three are considered successful.

Long term plans that require success of all the parts involved with what seems to be a guys life work is a pretty solid formula I think

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 17, 2015, 02:20:21 am »

It seems that there are quite a few people who want to see SC fail in this thread...

Nope, but I think there is a large group of us with a healthy level of skepticism that they can deliver everything they promised with any level of quality.

They want a top notch single-player space sim...
with a persistent sharded multiplayer space sim...
that also allows docking/landing and turning into a single/multiplayer FPS...
in a procedural generated universe.

On the Squadron 42 installments, aren't they just breaking up the original game into three installments because they can't deliver the whole game at once as was the original plan?

A list of all promises made as of September, 2014

Look, here's the thing: I want Star Citizen to succeed wildly. The space sim genre has been mostly dead for a long, long time, and it was one of my favorites. But I think Star Citizen is simply far too wildly ambitious to be delivered as promised with whatever size team and with whatever amount of funding that is thrown to them.

What I'm most afraid of is if Star Citizen does fail, it'll keep any other developer from putting more money into the genre. If it succeeds, all the big names will dust off their space sim assets and rush to cash in on the craze, and we'll have plenty of new games coming out again.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 17, 2015, 02:57:53 am »

Skepticism is one thing...random comments about how it is impossible/wont work/gonna simply die is another...unless I am getting the two confused.

I guess I am just annoyed that EVERY game thread seems to devolve into some negativity black hole. Seems like alot of people are jaded or were wronged in the past and have to take it out on every game they come across. And thats not even getting into the bit where even if they delivered everything people are still gonna complain...half the time by people that don't even own the game lol

I stopped getting hyped about games years ago when I understood that hype is just a garbage marketing tactic...my life is so much better for it...it also has a nifty effect where when things don't work out its not the end of the world.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 17, 2015, 03:03:04 am »

It seems that there are quite a few people who want to see SC fail in this thread...

Nope, but I think there is a large group of us with a healthy level of skepticism that they can deliver everything they promised with any level of quality.

They want a top notch single-player space sim...
with a persistent sharded multiplayer space sim...
that also allows docking/landing and turning into a single/multiplayer FPS...
in a procedural generated universe.

On the Squadron 42 installments, aren't they just breaking up the original game into three installments because they can't deliver the whole game at once as was the original plan?

A list of all promises made as of September, 2014

Look, here's the thing: I want Star Citizen to succeed wildly. The space sim genre has been mostly dead for a long, long time, and it was one of my favorites. But I think Star Citizen is simply far too wildly ambitious to be delivered as promised with whatever size team and with whatever amount of funding that is thrown to them.

What I'm most afraid of is if Star Citizen does fail, it'll keep any other developer from putting more money into the genre. If it succeeds, all the big names will dust off their space sim assets and rush to cash in on the craze, and we'll have plenty of new games coming out again.

I wouldn't be terribly worried on that front. Elite has already proven there's a viable market there. And SC's massive crowdfunding just underscores that people want it, if it fails it's the dev teams fault, not the genres.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 17, 2015, 09:35:59 am »

Skepticism is one thing...random comments about how it is impossible/wont work/gonna simply die is another...unless I am getting the two confused.

I guess I am just annoyed that EVERY game thread seems to devolve into some negativity black hole. Seems like alot of people are jaded or were wronged in the past and have to take it out on every game they come across. And thats not even getting into the bit where even if they delivered everything people are still gonna complain...half the time by people that don't even own the game lol

I stopped getting hyped about games years ago when I understood that hype is just a garbage marketing tactic...my life is so much better for it...it also has a nifty effect where when things don't work out its not the end of the world.

It doesn't help I guess that well... their negativity so far has been completely justified with how things turn out with projects like this. There are just droves upon droves of empty and lost promises, games that had to be compromised to boredom, and flat out developers who just can't deliver.

As for "don't even own the game" hmm... People looking at the list of promised features, noticing they don't have them, then not buying the game? That is crazy talk! don't you know you buy the game THEN get disappointed. Not get disappointed a game you wanted to buy isn't a game you want to buy :P (sarcasm should be thick enough here)

But I'll put it this way

Academimagia? Unfinished
Cult (renamed but forgot name)? Cancelled
Starbound? Shell of its former self
DayZ? Snail pace development that will never finish
Minecraft? Snail pace development that will never finish
Terraria? Released incomplete shell, then developed years later to be an acceptable game
Overgrowth? >_< honestly I completely forgot this thing existed, last I remember it was still very much barely a game. For all I know it is finished and a hidden gem on the internet.

To name a few... and before you go "But I like that" not the point. You don't go "But it was fun anyway so I put my interest into games because they will be fun anyway", you go "Well this game looks fun, lets hope it will be fun".
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:43:53 am by Neonivek »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 17, 2015, 10:00:01 am »

Dwarf Fortress.
Of course, Dwarf Fortress is completely free...
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 17, 2015, 10:02:37 am »

I am completely aware of those and many more failures and I have backed/bought 4 of those myself...yet somehow I am not this seething ball of jaded negativity that feels the need to vomit hate all over every thread I can touch.

The point I was making is that it doesn't need to breed a negativity spiral in every thread of every game because all it turns into is literally page after page of people talking about how it wont work and it will fail and etc. There have been many threads of games I have followed on here for information and updates and instead just dropped following it here all together because its just people complaining page after page.

Hell if you haven't seen the thread for the game "That Which Sleeps" you should and you will see my point. It's a mess. Some frustration or disappointment was/is warranted but not to the level that exists. It is ludicrous and pitiful.

And for the "don't even own the game" part I wasn't talking about games being made (which wont have most of their promises fulfilled) but rather games already released or whatever in general. It's a common thing to see that happens. And the reason is simple...its just people jumping on a negativity bandwagon.

Thats not to say that all "negativity" is negative...there are plenty of valid points for plenty of games etc. I just don't understand stuff like on this thread...I plop down a little bit of information and its immediately followed with a complaint about a list of unfinished promises...

well no shit? It's not a finished game...it wont even be released until the end of next year...and then guess what? It probably wont have all features implemented I am sure...which is where the regular updates are supposed to come in. Alpha stage games are alpha stage for a reason...features are still being added...how does a complaint like that even make logical sense? I guess the game is supposed to be done and finished...a year before its done?

I just don't get why people can't have the maturity to scale back their expectations to realistic ones and quit whining all the time about how unfinished games are not finished...it just makes no sense and it makes coming to this website a total drag when I can't open a thread and read a page or two without a wall of seemingly unfounded or overblown negativity.

The way I see it...if you don't have the maturity to be able to place money into a product that is not complete without throwing a tantrum when your expectations are shattered by reality...then you should probably avoid doing so to save yourself some money and apparently a great deal of distress...

Hell I don't even know why I am trying to make this point...I already know it won't make a difference...but hey why not
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:06:07 am by dennislp3 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 17, 2015, 10:09:17 am »

That isn't what is happening though. They aren't complaining that an unfinished game means it is unfinished.

well no shit? It's not a finished game...it wont even be released until the end of next year...and then guess what? It probably wont have all features implemented I am sure...which is where the regular updates are supposed to come in.

That... so rarely works out well.

In fact the only time it has is with Dwarf Fortress and frankly outside this little bubble of the internet... it hasn't really either.

---

Look the problem isn't that there is negativity or even that people are overall negative. To me they have every right to be.

The issue is more that there is a resounding wave of negativity that washes everything away into a whirlpool of despair even when people want to talk about something positive.

Though sometimes I just think people are a bit too sensitive towards negativity and that contributes as well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 10:24:24 am by Neonivek »

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 17, 2015, 03:05:30 pm »

Well arguments aside.

Been playing 2.0 (stayed up almost all night playing xD) and its a ton of fun already. And the space they let you play in for testing the game systems is actually bigger than I thought with more locations to go to than I thought there would be as well. I kinda thought it was going to be just a couple or maybe a few locations to go to lol.

Landing a ship is fun as well :P I blew up my ship first time I tried landing lol...pretty sure I blew up tons of ships in X3 Terran conflict by trying to dock ships manually...:P

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 17, 2015, 04:00:36 pm »

That isn't what is happening though. They aren't complaining that an unfinished game means it is unfinished.

well no shit? It's not a finished game...it wont even be released until the end of next year...and then guess what? It probably wont have all features implemented I am sure...which is where the regular updates are supposed to come in.

That... so rarely works out well.

In fact the only time it has is with Dwarf Fortress and frankly outside this little bubble of the internet... it hasn't really either.

That is just false: Rimworld, Prison Architect, FTL, and Arma 3 are all going strong, I could take the time to list others and I'm sure there are many that I don't know about.

Star Citizen most likely isn't going to be the end-all, be-all game that a few die-hard fanboys think it will be. However, that does not mean that it will be a bad game like many are insisting.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 17, 2015, 04:20:02 pm »

That is just false: Rimworld, Prison Architect, FTL, and Arma 3 are all going strong

None of those I consider close to the same situation. Especially FTL and Arma 3.

Prison Architect gets close... but it didn't settle.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29