Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64674 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2016, 07:15:25 pm »

Still quietly waiting for it to come out. Meanwhile playing other games. I keep up with the news but I doubt I'll be persuaded to preorder. That hasn't stopped my friend from trying to change my mind though

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2016, 08:46:01 pm »

Still quietly waiting for it to come out. Meanwhile playing other games. I keep up with the news but I doubt I'll be persuaded to preorder. That hasn't stopped my friend from trying to change my mind though

Yep that's basically where I'm at as well. Maybe when it's closer to real launch I might break, but don't want to risk dropping any cash until I see what the full game is fully shaping up to be!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 08, 2016, 08:51:00 pm »

So the FPS module-thingy is playable now? It looked pretty cool when I saw the various videos a while back. I can't wait to play Star Citizen when it releases in 2030.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 10, 2016, 12:58:14 pm »

Yep that's basically where I'm at as well. Maybe when it's closer to real launch I might break, but don't want to risk dropping any cash until I see what the full game is fully shaping up to be!

Same as well, personally, I'm waiting to see how the open world is going to be implemented. I'm enjoying Elite, but the way the Sim works irks me at times, so I want to make sure Star Citizen does it well enough for my personal desires.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 21, 2016, 06:25:53 am »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 21, 2016, 09:13:22 am »

Star Citizen: 2016 Gamescom Live Game Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucYhhLwIxg&index=1&list=PLEq9W3I6b0wXHNX4sactn40R8YF5HjpHN

Gotta say - and I was a massive skeptic - it's coming together very, very nicely.

I'm still not sure if they'll make the jump from a few hundred players in a small area to tens of thousands over a whole galaxy, but with how impressive it is so far I wouldn't be surprised if they pull it off.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 21, 2016, 10:54:54 am »

Yes, it was a very strong demo. They obviously have a long way to go, but conversely they have come very far even since last year.
Definitely has me watching a little closer.

It'll be interesting to see how successful they are turning all this tech they have into a balanced, and fun multiplayer living universe.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 21, 2016, 11:04:34 am »

Yes, it was a very strong demo. They obviously have a long way to go, but conversely they have come very far even since last year.
Definitely has me watching a little closer.

It'll be interesting to see how successful they are turning all this tech they have into a balanced, and fun multiplayer living universe.

Yeah the content thing is going to be difficult. In most MMOs everything is kinda instanced and constrained - there are areas that can be reloaded with bad guys to grind so you can get more gear. I can't see what the game loop will be with this, and I can't imagine how they'll create enough content by hand to fill it all out.

If you think about the quest they showed in the demo, that'd take a player probably 20 minutes max to do (without all the dicking around) but had a lot of things that needed modelling to make it happen. I can't imagine they'll be able to do enough of that to hook people into an MMO without serious repetition.

Basically, I feel that I'm pretty much at my hype maximum until I find out the actual overarching game play.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 21, 2016, 01:32:46 pm »

The good thing about it is that it will have a actual story. From what i've heard i think they'll be a ongoing alien invasion and a cold war with another species. They're going to change the world on the regular and respond to player actions.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 21, 2016, 01:45:21 pm »

The good thing about it is that it will have a actual story. From what i've heard i think they'll be a ongoing alien invasion and a cold war with another species. They're going to change the world on the regular and respond to player actions.

Hmmm...that sounds great, but I'm always a bit dubious about developers saying 'ITS A DYNAMIC WORLD THAT CHANGES WITH PLAYER ACTIONS!!!' - normally it just means a few text changes and a different coloured logo on the galaxy map.

As I said, I'm just a little bit concerned about the main game loop - if it's a cold war/fighting aliens, then does that mean there will be battleground instances to fight in? Then the main loop would be to build up on sidequests and the like to be able to fight in those spaces.
Without that kinda information, I don't know how to really get excited about anything else now that I've seen that the tech works.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #295 on: August 21, 2016, 03:34:07 pm »

There is a thing about Star Citizen and the content pricing that I can't really figure out. Most of the people I know are pretty negative about the game, but there seem to be some fans, so I hope it's ok to ask, since I am actually curious about hearing this from someone not biased against the game. This is not flamebait or some passive-aggressive attack on the game, I am genuinely curious. But why are the ships so expensive? The new ship announced at Gamescom looks really awesome, but almost 200 dollars? Is this what the price of content in the final game will be? Or is just while in alpha, as a way to get funding? I guess the latter is fair but it confuses me.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 21, 2016, 03:44:53 pm »

There is a thing about Star Citizen and the content pricing that I can't really figure out. Most of the people I know are pretty negative about the game, but there seem to be some fans, so I hope it's ok to ask, since I am actually curious about hearing this from someone not biased against the game. This is not flamebait or some passive-aggressive attack on the game, I am genuinely curious. But why are the ships so expensive? The new ship announced at Gamescom looks really awesome, but almost 200 dollars? Is this what the price of content in the final game will be? Or is just while in alpha, as a way to get funding? I guess the latter is fair but it confuses me.
First I must say, I am against this type of sales, as they are very pay to win, and give a lot of benefits to people that bought all this things from ships to in game money.
No, the game will not be 200$. This is simply a donation to the developers for funding the game, and as a thanks people get the ship and other benefits, at least that is what people that are ok with this say.
Make love not war

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 21, 2016, 04:08:43 pm »

You can get everything that's on sale inside the game. It's just a matter of time and focus.

I wouldn't say it necessarily is a pay to win style of concept. Winning presupposes there's an objective winnable criterion. I think the only thing you're winning is time and to play the game in the niche way you want without going through the common start. Of course you could buy the thousand dollar ships like the Idris, but then you have to take into account the running costs including having it staffed to operate. Those ships are supposed to be persistent as well, and won't disappear when you log out, I read.

My pledge strategy was to get a game package, which I downgraded to a 30 USD one (incl both games and a ship) at the anniversary. However, considering that insurance could be a kind of MMO pay to play fee, I decided to use the pledge difference, and go for an LTI personal all-rounder vehicle (The Avenger Titan). Furthermore, I have received free coupons over time which I have exchanged for in-game money. My final pledge, to support the developers, was to get a multi-crew ship that I think could be fun to fly with friends, that also had LTI (furthermore, alien ships may not be easily insurable in-game), which was the Merchantman. So far I'm liking what I see, and I understand the delays that partly have sprung out of the massively increased funding and scope of the game, that wasn't anticipated. It is that game that interests me, not the 20 million usd one, that, perhaps at the beginning of the kickstarter, was promised for earlier this year.

It's hard to resist the urge to buy new ships at concept sales (Sabre + Dragonfly for me, but I decided against, and set them as goals to acquire in-game instead). In one way I think the price also has to more than fund the development cost of that specific ship. With that level of detail, there are many man hours invested.

I believe you can buy the game without any ships at launch, but you would end up having to do odd jobs for others and crew their ships for some time, I guess. Not a bad thing to start from the ground up, but it depends on how much time you can and want to invest in the different aspects of the game.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 04:14:20 pm by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 21, 2016, 04:19:16 pm »

You can get everything that's on sale inside the game. It's just a matter of time and focus.

I wouldn't say it necessarily is a pay to win style of concept. Winning presupposes there's an objective winnable criterion. I think the only thing you're winning is time and to play the game in the niche way you want without going through the common start. Of course you could buy the thousand dollar ships like the Idris, but then you have to take into account the running costs including having it staffed to operate. Those ships are supposed to be persistent as well, and won't disappear when you log out, I read.

Doesnt matter can you get it in game. If you need to farm something for 100h and other person can just have it from start, that is a huge pay to win scenario.

The game is a MMO with PvP, clans and similar. Second the game doesnt  even need to have win condition to have pay to win mechanics in it. Pay to win mechanics are mechanics that make people that pay real money have huge benefit over people that dont. Thats why its called pay to win.

And people that dont pay in cash for Idris will now need to farm who knows how many 100h to even get to that point where they need to care about crew and similar. Its a horrible system, and is a definition of pay to win, especially for a game like this with PvP in it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 04:21:26 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 21, 2016, 04:52:19 pm »

The game is a MMO with PvP, clans and similar. Second the game doesnt  even need to have win condition to have pay to win mechanics in it. Pay to win mechanics are mechanics that make people that pay real money have huge benefit over people that dont. Thats why its called pay to win.

The way it's being presented is that there's no real advantage to having any given ship - they all have their niche, but it just means that by paying you'll be able to choose that from the outset instead of having to work towards it. They've said it's not pay to win, and that backers don't have any intrinsic head start over others other than the ship of their choice.

It all depends how much of a grind it is really. EVE is a big grind to get capital ships, but the whole idea is that it should take a lot of practice and skill to be able to handle that sort of ship (with great power comes great responsibility and all that). Similarly, playing with the starting tier ships is still a valid strategy for long term play (some people always play with them), so it's of no detriment.

HOWEVER, I don't know how that'll work out in practice. I imagine that a lot of backers wil feel a bit cheated if it ends up that you can get the same ship in a few hours that cost them $500 - regardless of how noble their original 'I'm just doing this to back the game' platitudes are.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 29