Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29

Author Topic: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead  (Read 64705 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen: The Old Thread Was Dead
« Reply #240 on: December 16, 2015, 04:16:57 pm »

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Star-Citizen-Starter

$30 dollar package limited to 5k total

Oh and the big reveal:
Fully functioning procedurally generated worlds that you can fly to seamlessly from space too
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:38:56 pm by dennislp3 »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 16, 2015, 04:55:22 pm »

Which can be added onto the massive stack of promises already made.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 16, 2015, 05:06:23 pm »

It seems that there are quite a few people who want to see SC fail in this thread...
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #243 on: December 16, 2015, 05:10:21 pm »

It seems that there are quite a few people who want to see SC fail in this thread...
I would like nothing more than to see it succeed and become the game they promise. I just have very little faith in that happening.

But that's okay, I didn't back it.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2015, 05:21:15 pm »

No you misunderstand...Fully functioning...aka they are working and they did a live demo of it (in the editor)...its not a promise its something they have already made

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2015, 05:26:03 pm »

"Procedurally generated" is basically a euphemism for "random but very little actual variety", usually. See: starbound.

Also, instead of working on the already massive amount of promised stuff many people doubt they'll be able to pull off, they just casually made something unpromised instead? :x

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2015, 05:27:11 pm »

(removed)

Also it wasn't "casual" they said it took about a year to get working and it had a mining base on it

Not to mention...would you really expect a space based game to not have procedurally generated things? I can't imagine hand crafting 100 galaxies in full...

the planets will have flora and fauna in the future as well
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:46:21 pm by Toady One »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2015, 05:33:08 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:46:30 pm by Toady One »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #248 on: December 16, 2015, 05:37:45 pm »

Elite just released Horizons which has procedurally generated planets as well. Some 300-400 billion of them. Its kind of fun driving around ice worlds, slipping down slopes and such.

It took them about a year too, so I believe the timeframe quoted.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #249 on: December 16, 2015, 05:49:30 pm »

I removed some insults from the thread.  Please continue along without the unnecessary thread damage.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2015, 05:52:56 pm »

Specifically in this case procedural generation means that EXISTING data for terrain data will be loaded, generated, and displayed proceduraly as you get closer/further away.  Which is a similar system that MANY other games have been doing for years.

There isn't going to that much procedural generation in this.  They have the time and money to hand craft the systems/planets that are going to be in game at release along with the "undiscovered" systems that they will throttle into the game.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2015, 06:52:04 pm »

Thanks for the info on the 30 dollar offer :) I "bought" (or donated or whatever people call it these days when a game is still in early development) Star Citizen and used (Capntastic) referral code.

Game looks great as it is, 30 dollars isn't that much and maybe the game fails to deliver or it does...either way, I hope it DOES. But there are many games I bought into HOPING it does...not all turn out great.

Just look at SPORE, that game was epic until EA changed it on Will Wright. And actually, if you look at his early presentations he is genuinely excited about Spore. His newer presentations pre-release he was a lot more...not as excited or hyped and actually in hindsight, his tone of voice made it seem like he was actually sad.

Either way, I hope Star Citizen ends up being even half of what it says it will be. I think one thing I hope we can all agree on is, the MMORPG genre really needs a kick in the butt (so to speak) from all the lame and failed MMOs released and being released since WoW.

In any case, I really hope Star Citizen turns out good. It would really help the very stagnant MMORPG genre...and no Leagues of Legend isn't an MMO lol...there is legit people that say it is. wtf lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2015, 06:55:21 pm »

Yeah, procedural does not mean random. It is really the only way to have millions or billions of distinct datasets like planetary surfaces. Elite has some 300 billion stars, each with unique systems. It would be impossible to do that by hand and even if you did, storing those planet maps would take acres of datacenter rackspace. With a procedural system in place, the only thing you need to store is the seed that generates the data. The seed is applied to the algorithm and the original dataset is produced but was never stored. This way the only things you need to store are features not included in the dataset, such as planet stations or changes made by players.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2015, 06:56:59 pm »

No pressure from publishers plus over $130 million in development funds...it's hard to argue it won't happen...they employ well over 200 individuals to develop this game...unless they mismanage funds in a terrible way its hard to see it spontaneously collapsing to vaporware...they are aiming for 300 employees...300 people is way to many to make some sort of dicey/scammy product at this point

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2015, 07:05:57 pm »

I for one am not arguing that it won't happen. I'm sure something will come of the money and effort. Whether that product will be all they have promised is what I question. I'm quite content to wait and see though.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29