Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191827 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #450 on: November 01, 2013, 03:13:30 pm »

"Fountain of Death" worked about as well as the "Fountain of Mild Amusement", almost everyone died and the leftover migrants will haunt me for eternity.

Then I found this:

Press Peat to coal (Peat is collected like clay)

Press resulting coal to diamonds.

1. Found a fort on a peat layer, with no supplies but a block and two boulders.
2. Make a screw-press and clay oven.
3. ???
4. Profit! Diamond everything!
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 02, 2013, 03:47:12 am »

I moved to windows to play MW and see what it takes to migrate my mod to it.

The highlights of Roomuniverses first year :
  • 'Easy' premade worldgen. I embarked on that volcano on the north right area.
  • Trying to figure the use for the many workshops.
  • Migrant hunter died on his first target, got his gear stolen by naked nymphs.
  • A miner died in his room, I cannot tell how.
  • Found gold and aluminium.
  • Trying to channel the volcano safely into a magma reservoir to start the metal industry.
  • Put all the plump helmet spawns in the ground, those are taking ages to grow...
  • Lost the surface crops I gathered to the winter.
  • Everyone is thirsty, I hope my dwarves like murky water.

I also opened the dwarf manual and got overwhelmed.

Blightedmarsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 04, 2013, 01:33:05 am »

I have a fortress carved into the side of a volcano and protected by a dry moat and a lot of war drakes.

Apparently I am under multiple layers of siege but I rarely ever see my attackers.

My mayor is seven years old and has banned the export of hour glasses

My three year old fortress is built around a vertical stack of wells on 4 main levels

I have lots of iron but no flux and no steel.

My military is pitiful and I have an open house as I haven't yet worked out how to burrow in civies, eve so casualties are light.

I have 60 odd idler, maybe 1/2 of which are children.

My dry moat is a huge 2 Z level pit that I keep a lot of my grazer in. I am trying to roof it over in green glass and put a fishing lake lake over the top of it but its taking ages. In the even off a major siege I intend to use it as an obsidianiser. However I worry about flooding my fortress with magma in that event

I have carved out two arrow towers into the mountain for my as yet non existent marks dwarfs and ballistas.

I have yet to use my "murder gallery":
The basic concept is that I dig my main entrance way 2 Z levels high. I dig passage ways around the top level, fortify them and burrow in marksdwarves to shoot down at my attackers. Its basically an inside out tower.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 04, 2013, 01:38:54 am »

• Trying to channel the volcano safely into a magma reservoir to start the metal industry.
  • Put all the plump helmet spawns in the ground, those are taking ages to grow...

The manual can be a bit overwhelming since so many awesome features have been added.  If you're having trouble with food look into the religious buildings.  You can pray for food and with dedicated praying dwarfs and pray for food set on repeat you can hold off starvation or running out of booze for the winters in the harder biomes.  There have even been players who have tried making a religious fort build where they have 30 dwarves praying for all sorts of items constantly, got them up to legendary skills, and survive that way with no farming, cloth weaving, or digging up metals or gems.

Joining guilds are your friend.  With harder learning on they make all the difference.  Look into the trade workshops.  It's a bit cheaty feeling but if you want you can sell excess wood and other items to the bargain shop or fine good shop.  Then convert those coins into gold coins at the tavern so you can use that gold to have dwarves join guilds.

Oh.. and if you're playing with harder mining, be very careful with that gold.  The danger of digging that gold is the reason I went and figured out that trade workshop system I just mentioned.  Too many good forts have fallen to the clanking golden monstrosities my miners unleashed. Also if your miner died in his room for no reason it could be black lung.  Have you had him dig out any coal without him being in the masons guild?

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 04, 2013, 01:48:39 am »

I have a fortress carved into the side of a volcano and protected by a dry moat and a lot of war drakes.

Apparently I am under multiple layers of siege but I rarely ever see my attackers.

My mayor is seven years old and has banned the export of hour glasses

My three year old fortress is built around a vertical stack of wells on 4 main levels

I have lots of iron but no flux and no steel.

My military is pitiful and I have an open house as I haven't yet worked out how to burrow in civies, eve so casualties are light.

I have 60 odd idler, maybe 1/2 of which are children.

My dry moat is a huge 2 Z level pit that I keep a lot of my grazer in. I am trying to roof it over in green glass and put a fishing lake lake over the top of it but its taking ages. In the even off a major siege I intend to use it as an obsidianiser. However I worry about flooding my fortress with magma in that event

I have carved out two arrow towers into the mountain for my as yet non existent marks dwarfs and ballistas.

I have yet to use my "murder gallery":
The basic concept is that I dig my main entrance way 2 Z levels high. I dig passage ways around the top level, fortify them and burrow in marksdwarves to shoot down at my attackers. Its basically an inside out tower.

Sounds like a good fort.  I like volcano embarks myself.  I believe you can turn bones into bonemeal for flux.  Look into the craftsdwarf workshop in bone to seperate bone stacks into seperate bones first though.

For the burrow for civies go to Military M  -  Alerts A-  Then switch from inactive to active, hit right a few times to go over to civilians and hit enter on whatever burrow you want them to hide in.  A great way to get the migrants hanging out at the edge of the map to haul ass in as fast as they can.

For the murder gallery just remember that marksdwarves can't shoot straight down.  So if an enemy is within a few tiles of the wall they won't fire.  Not a problem if you get marksdwarves on both sides or for your outside towers, but can be an issue with an enclosed choke point.  What you can do is have the tiles the enemies run on, then to the sides of that a few tiles of channeled pits, then the fortifications and the marksdwarves.  That way enemies still can't fire through the fortifications, but you don't get the aim penalty or lose ability to shoot by being up a Z level.  It's a silly system that doesn't make sense in the same way that siege engines only fires on it's same Z level.  You instinctively want to build high towers for such things, but it just doesn't seem to work.  Bonus points if you put web turrets in there or a system to drop things on their heads.  I like to build a retracting bridge a lot of Z levels above the entrance, dump a ton of stone there, then retract the bridge and let thousands or stone boulders crash down on the goblin menace.  Or you could drop steel glad war animals only a few Z levels.

Blightedmarsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 04, 2013, 03:08:25 am »

I am having a trantrum spiral right now so I am going to try to sort it out some how.

My gallery passage way is three tiles wide with channels down the side and I am going to use my glass industry to fill it with spike traps. An invader fall off the one tile wide passage he'll fall into more spike traps and have to work his way back under fire right back up to the trade depot.

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 04, 2013, 03:12:28 am »

He likely mined some coal and died of 'black lung'. Get the miner in the masons guild before you mine too much coal. (or turn off harder mining in your next wordlgen).
Underground crops take a full year to grow.
Surface crops die in winter. So don't plant in Autumn. Only plant surface crops in Spring and Summer. (Trees can be planted year round and take a year to grow.)

Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 04, 2013, 04:35:31 am »

I am having a trantrum spiral right now so I am going to try to sort it out some how.

My gallery passage way is three tiles wide with channels down the side and I am going to use my glass industry to fill it with spike traps. An invader fall off the one tile wide passage he'll fall into more spike traps and have to work his way back under fire right back up to the trade depot.

Sounds like a good maze of death.  I've always been a bit confused about spike traps.  I heard somewhere they only do damage when they are activated each time.  So that would mean that a goblin walking over spike traps while they are all "on" wouldn't cause damage.  I'm not sure if falling on them does extra damage. Because of this I've never used spike traps.  Am I incorrect with what I thought or do you simply have a idle dwarf repeatedly pull a lever for the spike traps during sieges?

Blightedmarsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 04, 2013, 07:53:29 am »

No idea: It requires Science! An if I can get them a side chamber loaded with enraged steel clad war raptors, they are always good.. FOR SCIENCE!

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 04, 2013, 10:47:13 am »

Still running my 4b fort, it's doing well:
- built on the slopes of a volcano
- a very nice natural box canyon that I've removed all the slopes from serves as my pasture and outdoor farming (wish I knew how to find more of those during embark ...)
- kimberlite block roads lead to the main entrance
- armory, weaponry, and rune armory up and running - these are cool but one has to be very careful about micromanaging input/output piles, especially once you start collecting invader weapons/armor (I claim at least all the metal goods and mark them for melt).  At this point, since everything doesn't necessarily get moved - products have a tendency to linger in source workshops instead of immediately getting moved to piles - I've found it easier (mentally and physically) to skip setting up specific piles to give/take to, eg, the Weaponry, and just assure all other "undesirable" items in the fort are gone (melted or dumped), and just "Improve weapon/R".  Side effect is that way also helps keep the total # of items down, helping FPS.  Not sure that'll work long term, but right now it does.
- experimenting with the decorations - love the red carpet :)
- mistakenly left "Make tin crafts" on repeat way too long - I'm buried in cheap masterwork tin crafts.  Where's that tradefair I ordered ...
- the weight bench is cool, but one dwarf tends to camp on it
- the library system is nice - it takes a lot of work to set it up, tho

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #460 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09:59 am »

Still running my 4b fort, it's doing well:
- built on the slopes of a volcano
- a very nice natural box canyon that I've removed all the slopes from serves as my pasture and outdoor farming (wish I knew how to find more of those during embark ...)
- kimberlite block roads lead to the main entrance
- armory, weaponry, and rune armory up and running - these are cool but one has to be very careful about micromanaging input/output piles, especially once you start collecting invader weapons/armor (I claim at least all the metal goods and mark them for melt).  At this point, since everything doesn't necessarily get moved - products have a tendency to linger in source workshops instead of immediately getting moved to piles - I've found it easier (mentally and physically) to skip setting up specific piles to give/take to, eg, the Weaponry, and just assure all other "undesirable" items in the fort are gone (melted or dumped), and just "Improve weapon/R".  Side effect is that way also helps keep the total # of items down, helping FPS.  Not sure that'll work long term, but right now it does.
- experimenting with the decorations - love the red carpet :)
- mistakenly left "Make tin crafts" on repeat way too long - I'm buried in cheap masterwork tin crafts.  Where's that tradefair I ordered ...
- the weight bench is cool, but one dwarf tends to camp on it
- the library system is nice - it takes a lot of work to set it up, tho
Could you upload some screens? I'm curious about what you did with the carpet. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 04, 2013, 09:08:11 pm »

Welcome to Chez Beard, don't mind the boulders, we're renovating:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And for you nobles, one of our suites, perhaps?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Captain Goatse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 05, 2013, 05:14:25 am »

I got attacked by an intruder, a lone Elf paladin with a superpower that makes him always surrounded by a snowstorm. A snowstorm to which he is not immune. The storm is beating him to death, while my dwarves sit behind the raised fortifications of my fortress wondering. Save is available on request.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 05, 2013, 10:00:01 am »

A miner died in his room, I cannot tell how.[/li][/list]
    He likely mined some coal and died of 'black lung'. Get the miner in the masons guild before you mine too much coal. (or turn off harder mining in your next wordlgen).
    [/quote]

Okay guilds are what I am doing next. I ensured that my dwarves will survive the winter (on chopped meat and water but this beats death) and I am now digging down to find a cavern layer and fresh water.

The fort looks horrible btw. Even kobold would find that shabby.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
    • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #464 on: November 05, 2013, 02:02:31 pm »

Bone blocks are magma proof right? The 'Bolds of BoneTrance are going to find out.

"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle
    Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 113