Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 192038 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #210 on: August 22, 2013, 02:49:16 am »

Just released a SPOILER from the depths accidentally. Only one casualty, the miner who was establishing a staircase (this was about 10 real time minutes into the game).

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 22, 2013, 05:31:44 pm »

That weaponsmith was just tired of the little 2x2 meeting area I had designated. She was probably sitting there listening to Urist McExpeditionLeader whine about Fluffy Wamblers for hours. Or maybe it was the lungfish I have infesting my fort. Seriously, the whole place is littered with lungfish bones the weasels keep leaving around. Every time one spawns all fifty weasels go charging after it en masse.

My population has hit my (rather low) cap so things are going slowly. I'm having some weird issues getting dorfs to actually do things. I have five woodcutters and free axes, yet no one will go cut down the two trees I need out of my way (I'd immolate them with DFHack but that'd burn down all the grass in my fort XD) I placed fifty beds with Planning mode and the beds are just sitting around in the stockpiles. I broke down and cancelled the designations on one wing and built them manually, and it worked fine. Irritating but not deadly.

One titan showed up, it was a werecamel! It turned into a gnome and ran away before I could mobilize.

A deity showed up and a goblin ambush popped at the same time. Goblin shot his leg off then a giant drowspider ate his head. o.o Then they milled around my yard for a couple months while my weapon traps finished constructing (the mechanics were being inordinately slow, see above) and shooting dozens of my weasels. Once I opened the bridge to let them in, I got about four in my traps before they broke and ran. Good thing, too. My military is still wearing the copper armor (or lack of it in most cases) they got when I started, waiting for the new stuff from the smith. Armoring takes SO LONG to skill up. The only decent armorers I've ever got were in old worlds I'd played a few forts in, the migrants would show up from my old forts and they usually had some good skills.

(I have a plan to, one day, do a bunch of forts just to grind skills and make happy dwarfs, then abandon them. Give me better migrants maybe?)

EDIT: I just had a soldier go into a Smith mood, and Therapist said his highest moodable skill was Weaponsmith so I was stoked when he grabbed some Welded Wolfram and a BUNCH of other stuff. Apparently he had the same experience for metalcrafter because he made...

a Welded Wolfram fireplace. -.-
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:15:57 pm by masterdiscord »

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2013, 08:07:36 pm »

"This is a green glass scabbard.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is decorated with oval green glasscabochons and feather wood and encircled with bands of oval green glasscabochons.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of spore tree and menaces with spikes of green glass and copper.  On the item is an  image of a crossbow in orthoclase. 
On the item is an  image of dwarves in violet spessartine.  The dwarves are traveling.  The artwork relates to the foundation of Outragedship by The Cloister of Desserts of The Gallows of Bejeweling in the early spring of 101. 

On the item is an  image of Kemus Beachburies the dragon raptor and Ecafe Distancewax the elf in chitinplate.  Ecafe Distancewax is  striking down Kemus Beachburies.  The artwork relates to the killing of the dragon raptor Kemus Beachburies by the elf Ecafe Distancewax in The Desert of Tombs in 67. 
On the item is an  image of two crypts in concrete.
"

First artifact to actually have images on it *lol* I did find the name of the fort amusing when I founded it though, "outragedship" *chuckle* would that be because it's completely landlocked? *lol*
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

masterdiscord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 23, 2013, 08:26:34 pm »

a Scabbard? That's different

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2013, 11:38:07 am »

My Kobold hole. Two niths corpses, one killed by giant jack rat after some inflicting him some injures and the other just beheaded by my giant drowspider.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:06:16 pm by Apani »
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 24, 2013, 01:08:53 pm »

Successful experiment with Stonesense.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:06:39 pm by Apani »

sobaman14

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 24, 2013, 05:25:01 pm »

Well, today I found out that cult members will continue to spread their heresy even after death if not properly memorialized. Has anyone else seen this happen before?

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 24, 2013, 06:43:15 pm »

Well, today I found out that cult members will continue to spread their heresy even after death if not properly memorialized. Has anyone else seen this happen before?

Seen it in vanilla df, had a ghost necromancer that couldn't be memorialized. Obviously tons and tons of fun were had.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 24, 2013, 08:07:58 pm »

Took away Drowspiders web ability. It was causing way too many problems. Every time a thief got near drow traders they'd spam webs making it impossible for anyone to actually kill the damn thing. Last straw was a goblin ambush with 10 of them. Had fifty dwarves and a hundred gobbos trapped in a never ending stream of webs.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2013, 07:16:51 am »

Discovered that butchering sentients as Kobolds causes people who see the it to get the "has witnessed death" thought.

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2013, 02:07:14 pm »

When the great dwarven civalisation of Nistkogan, "The Fearful Boats", sent forth an expedition they expected riches beyond compare. Instead they received a horrifying tale of bloodshed and betrayal.

The fortress of Vathfesh "Hatredwings", started out well enough. For the best part of a year, the fortress faired well, protected from the dangerous outside world by a wall and working towards riches. It was at this time, when the future looked bright, that tragedy struck.

"Mistem Unilmerrang, Mason has transformed into a werewolf"

The announcement spread through the fortress like fire, shocking all who heard it. Mistem, who had been with them since they first embarked, was in fact a werewolf. He'd been biding his time, but now that there were plans of establishing a fortress militia, he chose to strike.

The first response was to release the war animals - two drakes and two iron-clad dogs that had been purchased from the caravan before it left. They died quickly against the werewolf, but bought a few precious moments for the dwarves to somewhat organise a defence. A militia consisting of every adult was thrown together, but had to share a single wolfram mace and suit of armour between 16 dwarves.

Despite their lack of equipment and training, the dwarves stood before the beast without fear in one of the lower levels of the fortress. They faced off for a moment, before the war cry was sounded and they charged in for the attack, kicking and punching at the creature. There attacks went largely unfelt and the werewolf quickly slaughtered his former workmates.

Even the macewielder "Thob Vakiststettad" fared badly. Lack of training made for bad strikes, which were either dodged easily or simply missed. He was thrown away from the creature, crashing into a wall and breaking several bones. He would have died then, if the werewolf did not hear the cry of a child from above and hurry off to kill it as well.

Though heavily injured, Thob made his way up the central staircase to the dining room and pulled the lever there, raising the entrance bridge. Sealed in the fortress with the werewolf, Thob crept towards the hospital and passed out onto a bed. Without healthcare, he eventually died from his wounds but his final act of sealing the werewolf in and migrants and traders out, allowed the survival of many others.

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2013, 02:49:32 pm »

firefly68 that is a very cool short story, would love to hear more.

My fortress had a similar incident with a bloodbeast that we managed to kill off but this was back in the good old days when the clothing bug ran rampant so clothing was a bit of an issue. End result was a fort consisting of about 50 dwarves, all with rotten feet.

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2013, 03:23:24 pm »

I'd love to share more of the story, but that's kinda where it ended. I could have continued with migrants, but after about 10 mins with them I figured I'd just start again. I wanted to update to the latest version of the mod anyway. :)

Created a new fortress. I'm about as far in as when the last one got slaughtered. So far, I've got an outpost liaison that keeps sending fireballs at wildlife and starting fires. Kinda hoping he stops when he gets to my wall, or I might have to use dfhack to put out those damn fires (which I'd rather do than let the whole place burn down.)

I've also noticed a necromancer came in with my last migrant wave, and keeps studying the refuse stockpile. I'm not sure on the best way to deal with him. He's one of my miners and I'd rather not loose him if I can avoid it, but if he's gonna start raising undead in my fortress then I suspect he'll have an unfortunate accident. Gonna read up on here and see what other people have said on the matter.

Other than that, I came in with a smith guild dwarf and I've been training him up towards legendary armour and weapon smithing. As a result, I have the beginnings of a militia, which should hopefully deal with any sudden werewolf attack or necromatic nuisance, although they've only got iron grade equipment atm.

I also discovered a magma pipe reaching up to about z level -25, which should come in handy, and have the beginnings of a trained wolf pack, which will eventually go in a wolf-pit for invaders :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:28:09 pm by firefly68 »

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2013, 06:06:52 pm »

double post :(

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2013, 06:08:02 pm »