Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 191990 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2013, 09:51:57 pm »

Immobile token on dwarves would make for an interesting embark. ^^ Start. Nothing. Everything dies of thirst.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #241 on: August 29, 2013, 10:14:52 pm »

What's happening in your Fort?

Glacier embark on a 1x5 tile map, with a volcano in the north and a cave in the south. On frozen rock, no water, no trees. Embarked with no drinks. Because I took 10 boozebelly goats and 10 leatherwing bats, 1 male and 9 females. That should be enough goat booze...

Well, turns out our Animalcaretaker cant tell female from male, and we actually embarked with 1 female and 9 males. Which means no drinks. I quickly butcher 6, make totems, pray for booze, because there are not even plants to gather which I could press water from. In the meantime dwarf #7, the miner, starts to towards cavern #1. Opens it... no water. Digs deeper, Cavern#2, a lake. We are saved. Everyone, dehydrated, rushes down to drink in the crystal caverns.

I quickly wall them off after people finished drinking and build a couple of wells 5 z-lvls above the lake, breaking the cavern ceiling. I hope no flyers come by.

And this started the tale of Metalkin, but then I lost interest and modded new content... and Metalkin is outdated already, not even being half a year old.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 29, 2013, 10:36:55 pm »

So, even you are subject to the, "Eh, there's a new version out -- think i'll abandon this one" syndrome?   :)
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #243 on: August 29, 2013, 10:52:03 pm »

More of the: I want to test new features, yep, seems good, no I need gen another 25 worlds to test all the other stuff I am writing. (I just deleted region 1-20, and thats just from yesterday)

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 30, 2013, 04:21:29 am »

Savegames are mod-testing slag.
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
« Reply #245 on: August 30, 2013, 05:12:44 pm »

I'm currently playing in a small world where the only decent embark locations are smack dab in the middle of the conflux of an evil mountain and an evil hill region. As one can imagine this has resulted in all manner of fun. So far it has eaten three fortresses (one of which had two reclaim attempts, each of which was murdered by the zombies of their predecessors) and four demigod level adventurers attempting the journey to loot the ruins.

So, most recently, I attempted to retake a fort there that was destroyed by the Innsmouth Carp Cult. After it ate my fortress I looked the cult up in the manual to see what was going on, and based on the info there I assumed that the cult would have died along with all of my dwarves, so I attempted a reclaim. Well four of the seven reclaim dwarves converted to the Carp Cult within about 5 minutes real-time of showing up. The Carp Cultists killed everyone except the engraver, who had run deep into the old fort to smooth stone the second we showed up and hadn't been involved in the Carp Wars. The cultists then ran around harassing livestock until they picked a fight with the wrong tuskox.

I was actually cautiously optimistic. Engraving is my favorite part of the game (that and statues), so my engraver is always my favorite dwarf. I figured I could hold out in the fort with all the supplies I had with the drawbridge up and wait until I had generated enough wealth that the most suicidal migrants would begin to trickle in.

That's when my engraver converted to the Carp Cult.

So I've decided that the Carp can just have that one. I like my new embark spot now; there's a clear line of delineation marking the border of where the dwarf blood rain stops, so I'm going to keep my fort fully outside the evil part of the map.

I kind of would like to know how the cult works a bit better. Like, is there some sort of taint on the area or did the original cult leader build some kind of secret shrine or what?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #246 on: August 30, 2013, 10:02:10 pm »

Its creature interactions... a rare migrant is the cult leader, and he will slowly convert random dwarves in the fort into cult members.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 31, 2013, 06:02:36 am »

"The zombie hydra Kanal Strategiigolovnya Naglyiplavnik has come!  A giant dragon-like monster with seven biting heads."

:o uh...meep?
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 31, 2013, 06:11:03 am »

Or the leader might show up as part of a trade caravan and convert the 5 Legendary axe dwarves you have nearby on guard duty...

That was a rather bloody end to that fort.

I station an extra Ward near the Depot now  ::)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:20:53 pm by Repseki »

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 31, 2013, 06:13:37 am »

Hmm, haven't encountered the cult yet. Guess I'll have to be a bit more cautious about it when I return to dwarf mode :)

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2013, 06:21:36 am »

Was Trappivoid but I managed to web a cage trap and caught it...now what?  start a zombie zoo? *looks warily at the critter and hopes it doesn't figure out the cage is made out of glass*
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2013, 12:15:16 pm »

My Kobold camp built a Druid's hut on top of the cave we had walled around. My Druids will leader the people like the leaders of the mound people of North America. My first Druid proved himself a worthy leader when an Orc Sneak arrived a started slashing Bolds limbs and guts. The gate ogre was off getting armored, so all was left was honey badger corpses when the Druid warband leader charged in. He quickly he was slashed in the leg, the mouth, and then his whole arm removed. That's when he got angry...nobody likes him when he gets angry.

The now spirit bear warband leader takes two slashes to delimb the Orc before he attempted to flee. By then the slingers had arrived and pelted him down. Once the Druid calmed back down he had both arms back and a smile on his face. I've since out up a trap parcour to train up the Druids (atleast when they are in Druid form) and begain recruiting further Druids to the hill.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2013, 12:20:33 pm »

I can just imagine that orc:

"Die puny creatures! Die...oh. Run!"

:)

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2013, 12:40:16 pm »

Once, making new embarks to test my pottery submod, a drowspider casually engaged a gull. It pecked the spider's head off. I guess Meph succesfully nerfed them.
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »

They definitely do seem more manageable. Although the goblins that ambush my current fort come riding giant ones in groups of 15-20 so I tend to still keep my distance.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 113