Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 518669 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2070 on: September 15, 2013, 12:47:01 pm »

Yes. Also, they seem too intelligent/honorable for decent, light-fearing trolls.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: September 15, 2013, 01:41:30 pm »

Clearly dwarves existed in some dimension or form, because shadows of them linger in hell. Besides, it's a little in-joke.

Code: [Select]
creature_hell_STL.txt::

[CASTE:DWARF_SHADOW]
[CASTE_NAME:dwarven shadow:dwarven shadows:dwarven shadow]
[BODY:HUMANOID_OUTLINE_STL]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SHADOW_STL]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:PUNCH_HLG]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:KICK_HLG]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ROUNDHOUSE_KICK_HLG]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:SHADOW_CLAW_INFECT_STL]
[BODY_SIZE:60000]
[EQUIPS]
[BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]

Anyway... Honorable? They want to hunt and eat you and take your skull and skin. But they're not subhuman like LOTR/D&D trolls, that's true. I never thought unintelligent trolls were that neat, you can have more fearsome beasts than humanoids fill that role. These are instead chaotic beings that you can negotiate with if you're strong but who like to make you disappear if you travel in the wilderness alone, as in what I think is the nordic original (the black elves refers to Svartálfaheimr). Spiced with a little bravado, stupidity and head-hunting a la orc/ks.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: September 15, 2013, 01:47:42 pm »

I meant about the "wind of the hunt" sort of thing. Seems a bit Native brave/sportsman-like.

Actually, it would be cool if they were a little like LOTR trolls, because those weren't unintelligent. Ever read The Hobbit? They care somewhat about what they eat (in the discerning sense, not the sympathetic sense).

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: September 15, 2013, 01:58:20 pm »

Question, If I make a solid material that has a contact syndrome and have my Halflings make clothes from it will they get the contact syndrome when they where the clothes?
Halfling, what do you think about this? I got differing answers from different people.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: September 15, 2013, 02:03:34 pm »

I meant about the "wind of the hunt" sort of thing. Seems a bit Native brave/sportsman-like.

Actually, it would be cool if they were a little like LOTR trolls, because those weren't unintelligent. Ever read The Hobbit? They care somewhat about what they eat (in the discerning sense, not the sympathetic sense).

Well, they're tribal hunters. I just took cliches and bits and pieces from everything including Native Americans obviously. There's even some Australian Aborigine references in there.

While it would also be fun to have groups of Toms, Berts, and William Hugginses out hunting adventurers,

1. I don't think this troll template is fit for them, as this was supposed to be Nordic trolls/fierce, nocturnal tribal hunters at the core, includes a society, groups and interactions with others, with clear alignment with nature and the night, alliances with other night creatures, and interest in dominating their "hunting grounds", and

2. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't write it well. Even if it would add to the game. My English skills probably wouldn't be sufficient even if I could write stupid proficiently - it's a third language to me after all. That's actually another major reason why these trolls don't speak more colloquially. (Although maybe it would also be silly on closer inspection if they had a Cockney or Appalachian accent as they're not actually from there)

Question, If I make a solid material that has a contact syndrome and have my Halflings make clothes from it will they get the contact syndrome when they where the clothes?
Halfling, what do you think about this? I got differing answers from different people.

As far as I know, solid items don't transmit contact syndromes. There should be a DFHack plug-in to add that out there.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: September 15, 2013, 02:20:07 pm »

Appalachian might actually make some sense, being a rural mountain region :D

Well, it's just I've never seen trolls talking about worthy opponents, which was the "honorable" thing. I think the being discerning about food would tie into that, prefering more succulent meat like comfortable halflings to dumb and lean Dirigible Antelope.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: September 15, 2013, 02:23:59 pm »

Hm. Which part is about worthy opponents? I might just fix it. By "worthy of being a snack" I meant them to say they're taunting you for not having nutritional value. By "not good for a fight" I meant "fighting you is so easy, it's not even fun", as they like fighting.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: September 15, 2013, 02:58:18 pm »

I wonder what your trolls think of Formics...or any of the mostly insectoid wildlife.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: September 15, 2013, 03:07:28 pm »

Crunchy and good with ketchup?
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: September 15, 2013, 03:14:30 pm »

Well, I discovered a few things. One, you should avoid drinking lizardfolk blood. Turns out that will permanently paralyze you.

Two, the game is very meticulous about respecting the personality and ethics I gave the trolls in worldgen. The most common cause of death for them by far is murder by another troll (and then they'll very possibly make trophies of the murdered party). What's more, it's not just strangers. Look closely at the below. I was a bit surprised at first but I guess I shouldn't have been:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: September 15, 2013, 04:24:27 pm »

i'm sorry for asking this question but i check on this thread every once in a while and it's hard check everything in a 136 pg article.

to my understanding, treelords can spawn minions. what frequency do they have? i feel like with minion spawning, they should have similiar properties to necromancers of lore or be semi-megabeasts.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: September 15, 2013, 04:48:39 pm »

i'm sorry for asking this question but i check on this thread every once in a while and it's hard check everything in a 136 pg article.

to my understanding, treelords can spawn minions. what frequency do they have? i feel like with minion spawning, they should have similiar properties to necromancers of lore or be semi-megabeasts.

Last I checked there were 20 treelords, (10 female, 10 male) for every 80 elves. Their animation interaction specifically animates elves, and can only animate one at a time. The interaction is a free action; it has no wait period and doesn't take any time to do.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: September 15, 2013, 05:09:00 pm »

Well, I discovered a few things. One, you should avoid drinking lizardfolk blood. Turns out that will permanently paralyze you.

:D
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: September 15, 2013, 05:29:11 pm »

Uh...wow...my Halfling adventurer just got killed by a river squid of all things.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: September 15, 2013, 05:34:01 pm »

:D

That is a wonderful hidden feature.

On a related note, we need a tarnish-stalk-esque creature - a cheap, useful animal, every body part of which causes horrible syndromes. Eating its brain causes nerve necrosis, eating its meat caues vomiting for days on end, its blood leaves blisters, and its skin secretes numbness-inducing hallucinogenic mucus, or something like that. It should lay eggs that cause blindness and be milkable for a liquid that makes joints swell up like balloons. And it should have a really innocuous name, one that doesn't make it stand out as the bane of animal husbandry.

I'd make it myself if I had time :(
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 261